Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 11:17:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How is this compared to Panzer Elite?  (Read 8800 times)
CoffeelinFine
Oberleutnant

« on: February 11, 2016, 12:03:41 AM »

I love PE so I thought I'd check Steel Fury out. 2 other questions though.

1. Does this have realism settings like Panzer Elite?

2. Would it be better to buy this on Amazon or Gamersgate, or does it not matter?
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 02:17:29 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

SF has less realism settings, but are they really needed? Anyway, why do you need these settings, anything specific? If you mean realism itself, then SF is better in this aspect: better ballistics and armor penetration modeling, better tracks and wheels modeling, etc. Try the demo.

Regarding where to buy, I think there should be no differences. Maybe someone will tell better.

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 04:08:29 AM »

Coffeeline, the 2 games are different  in design and philosophy. I have both but I personally prefer Steel Fury for the very things that Krabb said in his post. Panzer Elite is 9 years older than Steel Fury .Yes it is much better than Steel Fury from a tactical standpoint because you can control platoons, co-ordinate artillery strikes etc. Steel Fury  is much better in graphics, ballistics, physics and the models are also more modern. It's a game more tailored for the individual player and there's no MP only SP. Also the AI and animation are much better in SF. SF now has almost 100 different maps, well over 300 user-made missions, weather mods and as many models as PE. Check out the latest mod called STA 2.0 : you can download it here:

http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t610-sta2-0-testing

Both games are worth having and I don't see why you need to chose?

It's like having to chose between Arma 2 or 3 ?Why not have both if you can afford them?

Re the realism settings yes in the game menu you have the possibility to play only buttoned up, without external camera, without simple track repair, without simple gun aiming and firing. You can tinker with the  balance of experience and morale of your troops and the enemy . You have many possibilities to make the game easier or more difficult.
33lima
Oberst

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 09:07:37 PM »

I find Steel Fury's main limitations are that (apart from what the mission builder can manage to script) it doesn't simulate radio traffic between platoon members like Panzer Elite does, has (compared to PE) limited options to control your platoon (no hotkeys, orders are mostly from the map only) and rather aggressive AI which likes to charge regardless of formation-keeping, losses and, sometimes, such orders as you can give. This isn't too bad for armies which didn't have reliable radio transmitters and receivers in every tank but is a little bit limiting in playing Panzers and in the later war kit now available for SF. It also has a target indication system based on compass bearings rather than the more intuitive clock code with 12 always to your front. Steel Armour Blaze of War has improved considerably on all of these areas, as well as adding a rather clever wargame-based dynamic campaign system.

But as Frinik says, SF's visuals and animations are much, much better than PE at its best, the combat zone ambience is fantastic and modded, its scope is now very wide and much more PE-like. I'm a long-time fan of PE and still rate it highly in its latest form, but I would not be without Steel Fury; like PE it is now a classic, and a prettier one at that. Not to be missed! Your choice where to buy, I like Gamersgate as it's a straightforward, repeatable and burn-able download. The pics below illustrate just some of the things that make SF special, from crew animations, to battle damage, animated infantry, realistic and functional gunner sights, and falling illumination rounds:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:38:17 PM by 33lima » Logged

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of his country!" when the guns begin to shoot!
'Tommy', Rudyard Kipling, 1892
CoffeelinFine
Oberleutnant

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 03:59:02 AM »

I have the game now. Thanks for the replies, guys.

And nice screenshots, 33lima. I'm assuming some of them are from the STA mod?
33lima
Oberst

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 02:54:58 PM »

Yes, the screenies are all from the STA mod; since release, it's my standard and now only SF install and a 'must have' for SF. The T-34-85 and PzIIIJ are from the current STA 1.0 http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t6-steel-tank-add-on-steel-fury, the rest from the current test release of STA 2.0 http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t610-sta2-0-testing. Of the latter, the US Shermans are from Lockie's 'Fury' movie mission set; the British troops are from the 23rd Hussars mission in Britpak-STA which is what I'm working on and at an early stage of development, not yet fully compatible with the base STA 2.0 mod. The Jagdtiger gunner's sight is from one of three missions I made for the Schuzle's Diary StuG/Jadgpanzer campaign.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:57:24 PM by 33lima » Logged

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of his country!" when the guns begin to shoot!
'Tommy', Rudyard Kipling, 1892
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: