Graviteam
April 23, 2024, 07:59:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the M494 function properly?  (Read 6282 times)
goodpoints
Oberleutnant

« on: April 03, 2016, 01:09:51 AM »

Hey all, been playing SABOW for about 100 hours now and I've started noticing that it seems like the M494 that the game labels "canister" in the M-60 doesn't seem to function differently from M393 HEP round. According to the US Army data sheet for the M494 (pg. 99-100), if I'm understanding it correctly, it's an APERS-T flechette"beehive" round with the capability to either burst after exiting the muzzle ("muzzle action") or airburst at a selected range >75m.  So it seems like in-game there is no way to set it to muzzle action as I definitely see a round go downrange, nor does it seem there's a way to change the range setting as it always impacts the ground. (Does the IRL round have impact detonation?) I've messed around a bit shooting a single M494 at target tanks/BMPs to see if statistics view shows multiple hits from the flechettes but all I ever see is a single impact, that in the case of the BMP makes a shell sized penetration decal. I've also tried shooting the round at the ground right in front of a target but then I see no impacts on the target at all.

So, does the game actually model the flechettes? Are they not visibly modeled or just don't show up in statistics? Of course infantry don't register hits in statistics view, but it doesn't seem like there's ever any difference in the area of effect vs. the HEP. Would certainly be nice to have the "secondary capability against...low-flying aircraft" to help take out those pesky Iraqi Hinds in Basra.
Rich8
Oberleutnant

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 05:32:58 AM »

I outright stopped using HE-P and Canister because I just can't kill infantry in a TRE with them, unless they are in trenches because amusingly, HE-P pushes them out of their foxholes. I've only been using HE-P when against a BTR-60 or BMP's flank and I want to save a HEAT round.
goodpoints
Oberleutnant

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 06:06:18 PM »

I outright stopped using HE-P and Canister because I just can't kill infantry in a TRE with them, unless they are in trenches because amusingly, HE-P pushes them out of their foxholes. I've only been using HE-P when against a BTR-60 or BMP's flank and I want to save a HEAT round.

TRE?

HE round can be effective against infantry but you have to either get the round to impact at an angle in front of them.  Or at least that's what I'd assume works best, does the game model different shrapnel blast patterns?  Against trenches, if you're at a great enough distance, try increasing your superelevation so your rounds will drop in at a higher angle.  Regardless though since the M393 doesn't have a timed fuze (IRL) I don't really think it's intended for APer use since not having the ability to airburst over or drop detonate into a trench really hinders your options. That, together with the M494 not seemingly working means the in-game M-60's APer capacity is really hindered. Disappointing considering  that Steel Fury let you adjust timed fuzes and the shrapnel shells were quite effective.

Also the M-60s smoke rounds, being White Phosphorous, would have some deadly effect on infantry, as well as the morale impact. I have to see if this is modeled, haven't tried it before.
Rich8
Oberleutnant

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 01:21:18 AM »

TRE: Target Rich Environment.

I haven't noticed how HEP performs at an angle because I always aim for the flatest/ largest area.
I believe WP works but don't quote me, I've tried killing with it but they just walk through it and seem fine, perhaps they take slight damage and a morale hit. However, I have seen plants burn from artillery WP landing in my vicinity.
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 05:09:38 AM »

If I remember correctly the AI has to set the range for the cannister shot. I think it only works correctly if you order it loaded from the TC position, but that was before the modernization of SABOW so I have no idea how the new stuff works.

Flanker15
Generalmajor

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 06:37:01 AM »

I was wondering about the HE shell the m60 had too, it doesn't have very good anti armor abilities in game but it seems to be a hesh/hep shell so it should have have good anti armor properties up to a certain thickness.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: