Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 02:30:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mod. Modded German Campaign Stenanovka "ONSLAUGHT"  (Read 16052 times)
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: April 23, 2016, 03:11:24 PM »

https://www.mediafire.com/?223p933l5ucrwt5

What is this thing?  As we do not have a campaign editor there is little to be done for making campaigns. But you can mod some basic things into exsisting ones.  This is an attempt at making a harder 18 turn German campaign by changing force structure of the Red Army and some tweaks for the Germans too.  

While it has some testing done and I think all bugs out of it, there may be some lurking in there somewhere, so be warned.  But am reasonably sure it will run fine.  I do not find it that much more difficult than default, but I did have some good fights.  

It adds in a number of units that are not used in the default campaigns.   Changes around some things of both sides in terms of what they get.  Like Germans have way more trucks now.  And often assigned to gun units to allow easy moving about the map.  

It is recommended to play on moderate battle size or smaller.  As it is at first a defensive campaign, selecting unlimited (if it even runs ok for you) will give you way more forces when attacked.  Or the reverse, if you attack anybody not next to edge of map, you will get a massive battle and probably be really out numbered.  So probably I good idea to select moderate or less.  

Intended to be used with A fist full of anti tank grenades little itty bitty mod (for now).

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=12351.0

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6rr31j5hkh75hpk/AT_NADES_V01.gt3ext

All this should work fine in either English or Russian versions.  

https://www.mediafire.com/?kgssd9l41d5131w  Onslaught actually hard-ish.  V1.1

Opps forgot:

To install just use the game updater and find where you downloaded these buggers. In updater find em, click em, hit save.  Simple as that.  

Anything broken or borked let me know.  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 06:28:42 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:09:45 AM »

Ugh... this wandering AI thing for tank units is totally driving me nuts.  I wish I knew if this is simply some kind of order type the AI is set up with in campaign or if this is some silly AI behavior.  As this whole campaign of "harder" is mainly based around making the tank units tougher, well its not working as it should most of the time.   Also I needed to buff infantry units more than simply a mild stat increase and a few more units in reserve pool.  This is becoming obvious to me when getting attacked by pure infantry units.  And I think I might mod the T-20 tractor from transport to apc.  That way it will attack stuff, even if that is crazy.   Tongue  Oh and its camouflage stat is a bit to high.  Its invisible to most units out in the open and not moving unless closer than you would think.  Might add that into next update of a fist full of AT grenades.   

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:33:03 AM »

Well crap!

Just discovered than a Pak 40 can not be towed by an SDKFZ 251 in game.  Pak 38, I think so.  Sort screws up my changes to tank hunter units.  

Well, they get a Blitz or 5 in next version.  And yes another version as it is not arse kicking enough by far. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:24:52 AM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 12:49:32 PM »

Newer one is working out better for a hard campaign.  It's gotten to a point of bonkers on some units being a "platoon".  More like a platoon and a half.  But is applying the right amount of pressure at certain points. It is beatable, but you know you are in a fight too.  But tanks in front of Stepanovka still refuse to fight unless poked with a stick.  In other places infantry are conducting attacks as you would expect.  So either tank AI is crazy, some kind of script is being run, or I am just more likely to engage infantry and then AI starts vectoring in attacks where I shot at it.  Well something.  But getting some real good fights that are not for gone conclusions. That is, I feel the pressure. Like a steam rolling Red Army should be doing.  Still not lost anything however.  But this over time will certainly cause player stress. 

And, I caused more crashes after yesterday's edits.  Think I found the cause. 

What I have learned from this.... 

Attacking force in Mius coming at you in platoons size does not work vary well for infantry units.  And I have no idea why it would.  You would attack at one point with a company or 2.  With another in reserve, maybe two.  On the other hand.  For defenders it seems fine as when you are attacked it sucks up to 2x as many squares into battle.  Meaning you end up with about the same force size.  Which is ok I guess.  Well for no limits battles.  Which would probably only run well with fewer movement nodes. 4 all over the place is too many at company size units.  Game will run like poop.  And frankly, for player, infantry at company size is stupid and causes issues managing a unit that big in game. You end up with giant blobs using quick selections.  But the AI does not give a crap about this.  So for a defensive campaign I think AI attacker needs to be closer to company strength.    Or simply beefed up with unrealistically borrowed squads from other companies or lots of supports.  Anyways, this sort of thing is interesting to me for a go make campaigns stand point.  As numbers of units can be so high it is not like GTOS.  Causes unexpected game play issues. 

But for this modded campaign there are no real good options.  COuld probably delete units but do not know if this would cause issues.  In GTOS no.  Here it might.  But then you have an issue with all the movement nodes. Best is probably what I did... give extra squads to platoons.  Is BS. But its doing what I was after.  Super good sight an hour ago.  Was quite nice to need to move around things to deal with an attack while the AI also had enough to be sneak bastard trying to sneak into my lines.  In short, you start to really see the AI at its best and makes you react.  I find this good.  Now if the tanks would stop being retarded.   

Yabba dabba do
kapulA
Oberst

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:25:22 PM »

Just discovered than a Pak 40 can not be towed by an SDKFZ 251 in game.

I'm pretty sure that historically 251s were used to tow PaK 40s, amongst other haulers - could Andrey look into this perhaps?
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:58:54 PM »

Just discovered than a Pak 40 can not be towed by an SDKFZ 251 in game.

I'm pretty sure that historically 251s were used to tow PaK 40s, amongst other haulers - could Andrey look into this perhaps?

I am pretty sure as well.  It actually should be an SDFKZ 10 if available.  That is nothing more than an unarmored sdkfz 250 for the most part.  I do not know how towing is set up.  Maybe related to weight of gun and horse power of engine for all we know.  For the current build I am testing I changed pak 40 to pak 38 for 294th infantry anti tank unit.  Heavy tank hunters just did swap to blitz.  These are the two large anti tank gun units that probably IMO, have the ability to move around their guns in a battle in a somewhat timely manner.  Although not really all that needed it seems in this campaign do to other reasons.  Still, something to mess around with easily. 

Yabba dabba do
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 05:53:58 PM »

But would they have gotten the movers out of hiding, hitched up the gun, moved it a couple of hundred meters, unhitched and set up again in a 1 hour battle?  

I think the error with GTOS and MF is that the ATGs cannot be camouflaged to the degree they were in real life.  Therefore they don't survive for more than one or two shots.  I would imagine a buttoned tank would have difficulty spotting a well camouflaged ATG, even after it had fired.  Wittmann said the thing he feared most was the ATG because you could not see it.

Having to place the ATGs in blind places where they have very restricted line of fire is counter to how they were used many times. The Soviets at least, set up pak fronts, whereby the entire frontage of the defense could be covered by ATGs.  If they were protected from enemy infantry and not knocked out after one or two shots by the enemy tanks there was not a great need to relocate them in a one hour tactical battle.

Bring back 3D markers!
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 06:27:50 PM »

But would they have gotten the movers out of hiding, hitched up the gun, moved it a couple of hundred meters, unhitched and set up again in a 1 hour battle?  

I think the error with GTOS and MF is that the ATGs cannot be camouflaged to the degree they were in real life.  Therefore they don't survive for more than one or two shots.  I would imagine a buttoned tank would have difficulty spotting a well camouflaged ATG, even after it had fired.  Wittmann said the thing he feared most was the ATG because you could not see it.

Having to place the ATGs in blind places where they have very restricted line of fire is counter to how they were used many times. The Soviets at least, set up pak fronts, whereby the entire frontage of the defense could be covered by ATGs.  If they were protected from enemy infantry and not knocked out after one or two shots by the enemy tanks there was not a great need to relocate them in a one hour tactical battle.

200 meter change position.. Why would you do that?  Hitch up and split a bad situation?  Yes.  Hitch and shift 1.5 km to deal with an attack?   Yes.  Move a stone throw?  No.  Move to support an attack?  yes. 

There are entire manuals on how to place support weapons.  There is an art to it.  More than plop down and face that way.  Interlocking fire where each gun covers its neighbor is the often used one.  But this takes faith and training that gun over is watching your front.  This means an attack facing one gun will not get fire from that gun and is camouflaged/dug in so it can not even shoot that way.  It will get fire to the one to its left and right on its flank.  And whatever is in front of that gun can not easily see what the heck is shooting at it.  But as soon as you start rapid fire, there will be smoke and dust to give it away.  Well depends on conditions.  Shoot in the day with wet down ground in front of you, you do not have to worry much about muzzle flash or kicking up dust.  And probably not cold so no strange mist in the air from heating up water vaper.  But these things take experienced troops or reading a manual to do.  And time. 

Engaging an attacking formation of tanks in line coming straight at you, they will see you.  Once 1 sees it is on the radio firing tracers at you to let every tank know where you are.  And they will all fire to suppress and kill you.  They can do this one by one as they spot targets.  As they are armored they can take some hits.  The guns only have that puny shield that can take MG fire.  HE to the sides its worthless.  Plopping down a line of guns facing forward would be a scouts dream.  Just have to poke the nest of them and then get the grid to the artillery.  8 minutes later no more guns. 

In game terms it does not matter a damn if their is camo all over the model of the gun.  Game could care less.  Its the config of that controls that.  And it takes into account what its set up on.  How often when attacking do you not see the gun until it fires?  Sometimes many many shots before it shows up.  If its in a good position you might get like 100 meters before some of your guys see the dang thing.  Light depending.  But AI usually shoots before then. 

Now a line of guns can work set up with no fire management plan.  So long as you have enough.  If 5 tanks attack and you have 10 guns. Assign 2 guns per tank and those tanks will not get many of your guns.  Even one gun per tank if even number might work.  But all the tanks will light up the first one that gets spotted.  Then who knows after that point.  But neither side will have much left to fight with. 

Yabba dabba do
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 09:37:12 PM »

What is the size of the MF battle field?

Bring back 3D markers!
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 10:12:54 PM »

3km X 3km 

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 06:15:38 PM »

https://www.mediafire.com/?kgssd9l41d5131w  Onslaught actually hard-ish.  V1.1  and probably done with it forever unless a bug pops up.  Have not tested whole thing.  But seems good.  You can install next to the older one with no issues if you choose. 

If the wandering AI is solved it will be a ball buster. But made this with the current meandering AI in mind. 

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 02:25:36 AM »

Well I have not gotten any feed back on these guys.  That is not a good sign.  Ok, ya I see downloads are just above 40 and that I was expecting, but not a peep out of anyone?  LIke it sucks, or the V1.1 is sort of harder, or I don't see any difference.  

Same for the AT nade little mod .  About a 100 downloads. Not a peep.  No one even saying it broke selecting machine gun crew.  LOL still need to fix that.  Now selects guys with Anti tank grenades...  Facepalm

Actually this reminds me off old sokolovo redux.  It did end up with about 300 and something downloads over 2.5 years.  Which is quite low IMO.  but never heard anything from anyone.  Is it even worth making or modding campaigns?  Ok part of problem is there is no global sticky anywhere of mods and what not.  After it gets made and posted on forum it ends up buried back of a forum someplace.

And frankly right now Onslaught is more like on a whimper do to AI and lack of attacking.  That one really needs to get fixed.  In fact I would say do not bother playing any defending campaign right now.  Just my luck that AI behavior went sideways right before I released the modded campaign.   Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:34:35 AM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
fireship4
Hauptmann

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 01:32:42 PM »

Maybe people are just shy, or want to finish their vanilla campaigns first?

I could test it, but like I said before since I havent played that campaign in vanilla yet (or any to completion) I couldn't tell you much.  I've spent the time I have with the game trying to mod and mess around with things.

I know it's disheartening, but if you like it, so will someone else.
Xambrium
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 02:27:32 PM »

...or want to finish their vanilla campaigns first?

This! After i broke up playing the original german campaign because it was too easy i started the russian one, its also very easy. I play my battles without limit, should be easyer for the defender but i win every battle because wise strategic planings  Shocked

I hope its getting more challenging when the germans get some Armor Companys, but i fear the will not arive because i already own theyre deployment areas  Tongue
fireship4
Hauptmann

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 10:25:49 PM »

Flashburn, I wonder if you could give a bit of guidance as to which files you changed and how you did it, what to pay attention to etc. 

At some point in the future of course if you have time.  I have looked through what I believe are the relavant files, but without a campaign editor it is a bit daunting and I don't know which files rely on other ones.  I was just looking to play around with the Saur mogileska (sp.?) campaign and combine platoons into companies and take each company's platoons out of reserve (currently only one platoon per company is on-map).

I'd also like to swap battlefield icons for NATO ones that are used on the map, but I'm not sure where they are yet.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 10:40:49 PM »

Flashburn, I wonder if you could give a bit of guidance as to which files you changed and how you did it, what to pay attention to etc. 

At some point in the future of course if you have time.  I have looked through what I believe are the relavant files, but without a campaign editor it is a bit daunting and I don't know which files rely on other ones.  I was just looking to play around with the Saur mogileska (sp.?) campaign and combine platoons into companies and take each company's platoons out of reserve (currently only one platoon per company is on-map).

I'd also like to swap battlefield icons for NATO ones that are used on the map, but I'm not sure where they are yet.

Desc and divpool file in unpacked campaign.  In GTOS these had to perfectly match up.  In Mius it looks like they do not.  I certainly screwed it up at one point and it ran.  So far all I have done is add or subtract units from these files.  In GTOS you could delete out units and it would run.   Have not tried that.  Might be fine, might not.  But there is, at this time, nothing more than this that you can do.  But it does totally change how things might roll.  Well, if AI would freaking attack would be nice when tanks are around.  That seems to be the issue.  No tanks and infantry only.  They will attack in mass.  Any tanks or armor, they go into some sort of driving around deal and take the infantry with them.  Most of the time.  But not always.  Some vehicle types set up as scouts do seem to want to attack and flank if no tanks are about.  Something with tanks is causing the recon in their square and rare attacking.  This is what I found in the Onslaught campaigns and seems to be exactly the same as things going on in default. 

Yabba dabba do
fireship4
Hauptmann

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 09:51:06 PM »

We need a campaign editor I guess!  I'll probably still have a go, I've been reading around about the fighting in July/August and the numbers can be pretty crazy; I just want to pin down what was in the Stepanovka  area and when, with the game as it is currently as a guide, and work from there.  Either that or put some companys into the quick battle editor (EDIT I mean the battle editor where you choose platoons from a list and place them for battle) as a start/proof of concept.  Any idea how to do that?  I looked at the files is 6m_mius.qb but they don't have much information, just a list of units (no attributes).

Any idea where the unit marker textures are so I can swap them over?  I like the Nato stuff much better.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 11:15:06 PM by fireship4 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: