Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 10:52:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to use on-map arty assets like mortars, etc ?  (Read 8782 times)
hnbdgr
Major

« on: May 24, 2016, 04:44:38 PM »

I'm giving up, getting them to fire is like trying to pee against the wind. It will works sometimes for short duration, other times it won't.

Please can this be either fixed or if it's operators stupidity (mine) can someone post a video how to make these work 100% all the time?

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 07:32:22 AM »

I'm giving up, getting them to fire is like trying to pee against the wind. It will works sometimes for short duration, other times it won't.

Please can this be either fixed or if it's operators stupidity (mine) can someone post a video how to make these work 100% all the time?

You need:
1) observer (preferably on a hill with a good view)
2) communication with the commanders of firing squads
3) for mortars which will keep targeting should be enabled the AI control

What can prevent the shooting:
1) obstacles and screening (even bushes) - the next update will not be so strict checks
2) inability to build a path (for example, if the mortar / cannon stands on an inclined plane)
3) selected shots which are not exists (depending on the conceal mode - bottom right on the order's panel)
4) target - single and unimportant (alone soldier at far distance)
5) target - is moving rapidly (weapons whose projectile flies a long time, such as mortars will not fire on fast-moving targets frequently).
6) distance to target too far or too near (ie 82 mm mortars have a 300-6000m range)

4,5,6 work together

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
hnbdgr
Major

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 06:48:30 PM »

Ah, ok thank you.

I'm trying it out again, and had some more success but these are my observations:

Russian 82mm team 1xobserver, 3xmortars

As long as commander is within 100m of all of the mortars, fire is precise and duration is good. I think they fire 5+ rounds, great that works.

Russian 122mm howitzer team 1x observer, 2xfire platoon commander, 4x howitzer, x1 telephone troops.

I kept the fire platoon commanders and the howitzers well back and moved the observer to the front. my observations:

1.) howitzers will respect observed fire order even if the observer is 500m+ away and doesn't have a wire link yet.
2.) observed fire only lasts for 2 rounds, after that you cannot override it on the same spot with a new fire order. You need to cancel existing order (by doubletapping G) and then issue another one. That is in my opinion an unnecessary hinderance. Surely if the crews have the coordinates issuing another order on the same spot should result in them firing again? Even better would be if we had the option to choose how many rounds a fire mission should consist of.
3.) howitzer crews, after completing their fire mission will sporadically fire SMG's into the general direction of the observed fire. Clearly something is playing up here. Maybe the game is mistakenly issuing a fire order to an SMG crewman instead of the battery? Maybe something to do with how russian 82mm mortars fire 5+ rounds and 122 howitzers just 2?

Additional observiations. I'm beginning to think that mortars or howitzers only fire at trajectories as close to flat as possible. Basically they will not be very happy shooting over ridges, hills etc. Especially the german 7.5 le IG is very very picky... Now I'm only assuming this, because the game doesn't let you know. crews will just dance around twisting the canons left and right. It's really weird
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:58:12 PM by hnbdgr » Logged
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 11:15:09 AM »

I'm beginning to think that mortars or howitzers only fire at trajectories as close to flat as possible.
How do you define it? Can you solve differential equations with several unknowns in mind?  Grin

Basically they will not be very happy shooting over ridges, hills etc. Especially the german 7.5 le IG is very very picky...
This is not true

P.S. In any case, let me remind that when using large gun lifting angle - firing range is reduced. Therefore, you can not shoot at absolutely any distance using only hinged trajectory with a large angle. This is contrary to the laws of physics.

http://imgur.com/O0MgHQB
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 12:09:05 PM by andrey12345 » Logged

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
hnbdgr
Major

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 08:20:40 PM »

That makes sense with the elevation! I didn't realize it had such a severe effect. Is there any way to visualize it in game? Like a little graph in the encyclopedia?

You know what would be helpful - a little box next to the other ones we have on the top left that could indicate what the unit is doing atm.

for instance for artillery it could say one of the following (suggestions, words can be different):

- "awaiting orders"
- "supporting fire" (for firing outside of observed fire order)
- "fire mission" (for firing when observed fire is requested)
- "wrong angle"  (for when arty is positioned on a slope)

and/or we can have a few indicators in a separate box numbers:  X(Y,Z)

X is distance in meters of requested fire mission (observed fire) - can be green or red

Y is elevation of gun required to hit target - can be green or red
Z is maximum range under current elevation - always green

If the target can be hit under current elevation, all numbers will be green.

If elevation can be achieved, but target is now out of effective range=> X will be red, Y green.

just a side note: a reverse situation will never exist - where elevation cannot be achieved and range is good, because in those instances elevation will be automatically adjusted  and range will change, possibly bringing the target out of range.

So just having 3 indicators like that would help people a lot. It might not need to be exactly like this, it might be a different feedback system, but we need one I think.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:26:55 PM by hnbdgr » Logged
VMIalpha454
Oberleutnant

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 04:29:48 AM »

This is not true

P.S. In any case, let me remind that when using large gun lifting angle - firing range is reduced. Therefore, you can not shoot at absolutely any distance using only hinged trajectory with a large angle. This is contrary to the laws of physics.

http://imgur.com/O0MgHQB

Do you take into consideration that, with indirect fire weapons, the propelling charge is variable?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 04:31:25 AM by VMIalpha454 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: