Graviteam
April 18, 2024, 09:14:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pz I ausf F has 80mm of armor on all sides!  (Read 3974 times)
TSB
Leutnant

« on: June 15, 2016, 08:36:52 PM »

I setup a quick battle and gave the Germans a platoon of Pz I ausf F (assault platoon) and they took out all four of my 45mm AT guns.

Impressed, I setup a situation with two assault platoons charging against two 76.2mm AT gun batteries and two 85mm arty batteries to watch them get slaughtered.

... the Pz I's beat them.  Shocked To clarify, this was ~10 Panzer I's vs about 20 AT guns. The AT guns were entrenched, had wide overlapping lanes of fire.

I checked the in game-encyclopedia and the Pz I ausf F's are modeled with 80mm (!!!) of armor on the front, side, and rear.

They are little Tigers! The post battle report had them littered with 76.2 / 85mm hits with only partial penetrations dealing minor damage over 600 meters. They looked like pin-cushions with all the arrows going into them but often the crew survived no problem. The few that were taken out were tracked or presented a flat side shot to the AT gun. Any hits to the upper front plate or lower front plate were instant ricochets.

Please fix. Thank you, I'm loving Mius Front.

Also consider adding SU-76M. Thanks again.

*Edit*

Wow, it appears this was a real variant of the Panzer I?

WOW!!! I feel so ignorant, but at the same time I am so elated to discover yet another very interesting WWII vehicle.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/Panzer_I.php

Although this article claims they had 50mm armor on the sides and rear, not 80mm. Thoughts?

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1927
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:00:40 PM by TSB » Logged
waypoint
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 09:40:36 PM »

This picture is from "Panzer tracts No.1-2 Panzerkampfwagen I" by Jentz and Doyle. However, in the same book in the description of this PzKpfw I F they wrote "The maximum armor protection that could be achieved for a narrow tank with a crew of two in the 18 ton weight class was 80mm thick plates on vertical front surfaces and 50mm on the vertical sides and rear." And in the "Encyclopedia of german tanks of World War Two" by Jentz, Doyle and Chamberlain the same panzer is said to have 50mm side armor on the turret, superstructure and hull. Also the rear armor is given as 50mm everywhere, while in the above picture 60 and 80mm plates can be seen. I've no idea why developers went with 80mm side armor instead of 50mm.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:45:34 PM by waypoint » Logged
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 11:18:46 PM »

Yes, its a little tank with 80mm of armor and armed only with machine guns.  Its sort of a why did they waste time making such a strange little machine.  They certainly did not make many and for good reason.  But if the tank is vary small and does not have to mount large guns in large turrets you can certainly give it a lot of armor.  But a vary limited use sort of tank.  But it sure is cool looking. 

Yabba dabba do
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: