Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 02:17:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New player caught by problems. Are these bugs or is it me?  (Read 7110 times)
ToxicSight
Oberleutnant

« on: June 21, 2016, 07:24:02 PM »

Well for starters I am a frequent Warthunder player and I recently installed SABOW.

The game is not as beginner unfriendly as a lot of people tell. I got most of the things sorted out in the first hour.

Sorry for the wall of text.

The forums and the main site seem to be deserted, and I don't suspect a dev / mod / veteran player would put enough time to answer all my problems. Even answering one question is much appreciated, especially the first one. Thanks for your time.

As I installed the stock version of the game I was pretty disappointed but after I installed the latest update (april 15th?!) from Graviteam's main site, the game is very enjoyable but new issues have emerged.

Please note that the following problems may aswell take form of a question, as I'm not completely familiar with the game. Please tell me if it's me doing something wrong or if some option somewhere isn't set right.

1- Very irritating issue with the Halt command. Whenever I order the driver to halt the tank, he slightly turns the tank to left or right side. I've tried it with both commander and the gunner, and I've used the halt command, the short stop and the S key. But no matter what, the driver will always randomly do a slight turn after I tell him to stop the tank.

It's really annoying and it only started happening after the update.

2-1 Slow and unresponsive crew.
The driver sometimes takes so long to initiate forward or backward moves, and sometimes he never does. I've tried this on even flat ground with no threats around, but the driver acts as if he's struggling with the instruments. But he never delays rotation commands, and whenever I order him to turn he immediately complies, whether on move or stationary.

2-2 Driver also gets super buggy near slopes or water. Once I brought the tank to the side of a river, and after I ordered the driver to stop he just took off the gas but didn't engage the brakes, and the tanks slowly went close to the river, until it fell into the riverside and eventually went into the water then. I was on the flat ground close to the river.

2-3 Commander takes so long to start measuring range in the M60. I have to press ctrl+left click several times on the enemy tank so that the commander wakes up and starts ranging the target. I've done this while the gun was straightly pointing at the target and the commander mini turret / cupola was pointing parallel to the main gun. (at 12 o'clock)

3-1 HE rounds are ineffective against infantry. No I don't mean they are hard to aim, as it's hard to aim tank shells at infantry groups in real life. What I mean is that they do not create enough shrapnel to kill infantry. I noticed that shooting HE farther than 5-10 meters from infantry doesn't hurt them at all. That's the range of a hand grenade.

3-2 Canister rounds act exactly as HE rounds.

4- Ineffective platoon members. My platoon gets rekt most of the time by weaker / similar force all the time. They simply fail at spotting and shooting at targets. Even when they spot enemy tanks, they have a very slow rate of fire, maybe half of mine or the AI enemy.
I didn't have the stay concealed option checked, and I never touched the arc of fire command. The fire is at will.

5-1 Zero effect penetrations. Using the M60's HEAT rounds, I usually need >3 shots to kill tanks frontally, even the Olifant. After the battle I examine the tanks and notice I got multiple hull penetrations that dealt light damage to gun / ammo / fuel ...

5-2 Catastrophic kill is very rare. I'm not getting a blown off turret or a fast explosion although I kill tanks by ammo racks a lot. They just start burning slowly and usually a few crew members escape unharmed. The ammo goes off in a loud boom maybe after I set fire to the engine minutes.

5-3 105 mm HEAT rounds with 400 mm penetration bounces on slightly angled T-62 hull armor at 1500 meters? Seriously? At that range it's even lands closer to perpendicular angles.

6- Super fragile tracks + Drift while driving. Getting slightly over excited while driving at moderately fast speeds rips off your tracks. Don't know how realistic that is, but well at least the driver shouldn't rip off tracks when ordered to turn 90 degrees at 40 kmph. Guess that must be the first thing they teach drivers at the army.

7- Enemy AI with super fast target acquisition. I just poke my turret out of cover and suddenly 4 T-62s fire at me 5 seconds later. Like what the ****? I wasn't even skylining and not even a speck of dust as I moved VERY slowly. Secret thermal sight for AI? How can I effectively hide from enemy? I mean other than obstructing the line of sight?
waypoint
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 03:11:47 AM »

Are these bugs or is it me?

It's you. Grin The Steam version have received quite a few updates since april 2015, last patch came out in september, so many of the described issues may have been fixed already.

I'm not a developer by the way.
1. I've just tested this both with the T-62 and M60. Whenever I order the driver to halt there is no turning to any side, tank just halts.
2-3. Did not notice any problem with that either.
3-1. You overestimate the effects of an HE tank round. For example,

This is Figure 2 – 25-pdr HE ground-burst, angle of descent 20º - Percentage Casualties to men standing in the open around the point of burst of the shell. As you can see, there is no guarantee that even a standing man within 10 meters of impact point will become a casualty. Yes, i know that M60 does not fire 25pdr HE, but the fragmentation pattern will look similar, not like a circular AOE splash as seen in many other games. A prone soldier in realistic terrain will not get hit every time just because a shell exploded anywhere within 10 meters of him. Not sure about the blast effect, but would not expect much in the open.
4. Have noticed quite the opposite - the platoon members often are more effective than I am.
5-1. And?
5-2. As they should be. Not every hit on the fuel tanks or ammo will lead to an immediate destruction. If you hit the propellant it will burn and this may lead to an explosion after a while, that's what you are describing.
5-3. Bounces as in ricochets? What was the angle of impact? It is usually displayed in the statistics.
6. 90 degrees at 40 kmph? Facepalm

Also here at around 22:45 an Abrams loses a sprocket in the mud, without "getting slightly over excited while driving".

Tracks should be fragile, much more fragile than in other games. Especially if you are making sharp turns in the difficult terrain while going 40kmph.

7. Haven't noticed anything strange here either. You can hide behind smoke and vegetation, and you should change your position often.

Also, please make some screenshots or videos of the things you've described.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 03:14:28 AM by waypoint » Logged
ToxicSight
Oberleutnant

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 11:26:27 AM »

Are these bugs or is it me?

Also, please make some screenshots or videos of the things you've described.

Thanks for your response.

Well I reinstalled the game and then installed the update.

Jumping fresh into a quick battle, the problem with halt command persists.
Here is a video.

It happens on all ground types. I guess my driver is drunk.  Undecided

Guess I have to buy a steam version for a sober one. Cry
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:28:11 AM by ToxicSight » Logged
ToxicSight
Oberleutnant

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 11:56:32 AM »

Oh never mind. It's a well known issue since april 15 patch.

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=11884.0

And the commander range finding bug in M60 is common too.

I'm just confused. How can devs release a patch 3 years after the official release of the game and create extra bugs while doing so?
waypoint
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 12:04:04 PM »

Yep, your driver is a bit confused.
Looks like this on my end.

There is some kind of September 2015 patch on this page http://graviteam.com/patches.html
Have you tried it?
Better yet, a Steam summer sale is coming soon. You could wait for a discount on Steel armor and pick up the game then.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 11:18:40 PM by waypoint » Logged
ToxicSight
Oberleutnant

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 01:23:19 PM »

Judging by the icons on your UI you probably own a newer version than me.

The september patch for gamersgate versions didn't work on my version. The game won't start.

Why these guys don't care about DVD versions at all?! The april 15th patch is just riddled with bugs and glitches.

I guess I give up on this game, unless it's on a 5.00$ sale on steam.
33lima
Oberst

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 07:05:05 PM »

IIRC there were 'rights' issues and the CD version is a different publisher and unsupported, the patch being offered 'over and above' that. Don't think Graviteam can be faulted for that.

Anyway the supported, Steam or Gamersgate versions are IMHO very well worth the full-price investment; the settings for its campaigns are somewhat off-the-beaten-tank-track, but SABOW is a top notch tanksim and the supported versions add a lot, including training missions. Not to be missed by any serious tanksim enthusiast.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of his country!" when the guns begin to shoot!
'Tommy', Rudyard Kipling, 1892
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: