Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 06:24:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is the Mius?  (Read 4327 times)
ppitm
Oberleutnant

« on: July 11, 2016, 03:22:04 PM »

I'm sure some of you have noticed that Graviteam: Mius Front doesn't actually include the River Mius. All the battles in the game take place after the Soviets penetrated the layered German defenses of bunkers on the heights overlooking the river valley. (Reference the John Tiller Software demo)

Does Graviteam plan to add any new maps to the game in the future?

I was looking forward to reenacting the battles near Matveev Kurgan and Kuybyshevo.

Krabb: Image tags.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:37:59 PM by Krabb » Logged
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:17:10 PM »

I'm sure some of you have noticed that Graviteam: Mius Front doesn't actually include the River Mius. All the battles in the game take place after the Soviets penetrated the layered German defenses of bunkers on the heights overlooking the river valley. (Reference the John Tiller Software demo)

German defense lines broke by the Red Army in July for half a day, in August in an hours. So do DLC that would be dedicated to this part does not make sense. This operation only for 2-3 turns.

Does Graviteam plan to add any new maps to the game in the future?
No, but perhaps somewhere near the current landfill, where there were maneuver battles.

I was looking forward to reenacting the battles near Matveev Kurgan and Kuybyshevo.
There was not anything particularly interesting to play.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
ppitm
Oberleutnant

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 01:20:31 AM »

This operation only for 2-3 turns.

I take it that Graviteam is laser-focused on reenacting specific engagements at the operational level. And the game does it well, but you guys do seem to have unusual tastes in wargaming.

You have such a fantastic engine, that you could significantly expand your audience just by shipping some extra content for a more free-form, flexible game experience.

So what if the battle for Matveev Kurgan 'wasn't interesting?' Many people would be interested to stage their own battles there.

What would it take to get usermade terrains in the game? That would increase the game's value twofold for many people.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 10:45:49 AM »

I take it that Graviteam is laser-focused on reenacting specific engagements at the operational level. And the game does it well, but you guys do seem to have unusual tastes in wargaming.

So what do you want there to be?

1) If realistic, the hundreds pieces of Soviet heavy artillery and mortars demolish all the crap that had built the Germans (1-2 turns), then go assault groups and dispersed those poor souls who have not yet escaped (1 turn).
Further continuation with where anything interesting in those operations that are already in the game.

2) If unrealistic - so we are trying not to do. Especially where is a whole accurate description of the events.

What would it take to get usermade terrains in the game? That would increase the game's value twofold for many people.
This makes no sense. As shown by the previous 5 years, no one would seriously do it, recreation of realistic landscapes it is highly complex process. All who were able to do this are already doing.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 11:08:32 PM »

A bit old.  But making new maps is quite the chore.  It is way above most folks heads.  Or I should say, the desire to commit the time.  It is quite a lot.  And absolutely do not do it if you also need to make new building and structures. 

I think as a case by case basis with folks that stand a chance and are known to Gravi it may still be worth a shot.  But most failed.  And someone learning the thing will have tons of questions taking time away from the Devs. 

Speaking personally I gave it a go in GTOS.  I would not call it a fail per say.  But needed to much stuff for 1 art guy.  Not the map.  But the everything else.  I needed another model guy or 2.  Looking back, I should have not stopped and just expanded the time line of how much time needed. I gave myself 6 months to a year for what I was trying to do with the time i had to commit.  But it was more a 2 + year hobby project that was needed.  And some things I could not do at all.  But that was much more than just a map.     

To make a map as a hobby and not needing anything else.  Well starting from square 1 it probably would take 5 months to make a vary small map giving it at least 25 hours a week.  But much faster if you knew what you where doing.  If we look at how many made models for the GTOS and got them working right with the tools provided we see vary vary few did.  So the question becomes is it worth the time making tools that the end user can use for Gravi?  So far, not so much.

On the other hand....  If I would give it a go again and not fail as I would only do the map and leave the everything else on the side.  And pick a battle spot on the Eastern Front. But the track record for modr types in GTOS was vary bad. Its the "fun" VS. "work" thing happening.   I make a model I am having fun.  I make a map I am having less fun.  And it becomes work at some point.  It maybe best to leave the work for folks that get paid to do it. 

So unless the tools are given massive investment to make them easily accessible with a 100 page vary detailed manual its probably not worth it.  And even there, if no one used them you flushed time and money down the crapper.  Doing this would not be easy or cheap.  Working tools work.  Working tools are not easily accessible.  If you think the released mod tools of many games are the norm, well they are not. Most are the bare minimum to do a task.  And rarely easy to use.  Even when they try to make is easier, say the unreal engine, its not all that. 

Really late to the post party here.  But ya.... 

Yabba dabba do
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: