Graviteam
April 18, 2024, 12:00:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Counter attacks don't recapture ground or strategic points since last patch.  (Read 5572 times)
Juswick
Oberleutnant

« on: June 12, 2016, 04:23:52 AM »

Hi I have been playing the 18 turn german defence campaign and was really enjoying it.  I would set up a defensive position like a ridge or reverse slope and place any units that were in front of this defensible terrain in the rear as a counterattack force. When the Russians attacked me and were halted many of them fell back in disarray and at this point I would counter attacked with my reserve.

The tank command group of Panzer III's and a platoon of grenadiers were ideal for this and this was my favorite part of the battle.

First  I would send a single platoon out for scout for AT guns or probe for what ever they have left overwatching their retreat and then hit it with Arty then slowly move my counter attack force up . With a bit of luck and caution I could take back all the labeled points on the map . Before the last patch it would work fine and the operation map would show the area I recaptured as blue and I was free to move my company's forward again to take up defences previously dug.

I just tried to do this with the new patch that shows the red square of the battle map and after the battle the area I had recaptured was not blue.  It was if if my counterattack had not happened at all.

I know I could just attack at this point but that would just be an attack. The counter attack right after an attack is great because the enemy are weak from the battle they just lost and it is the ideal time to recapture defensive terrain I have previously lost.

Has anybody else noticed this since the new patch?  Was this a deliberate choice by the devs or just a side effect of the other patch changes.

Please give us back the counter attack ability.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 09:37:40 AM »

In this aspect, nothing has changed for many years. The black squares are marked on the map of those squares that can not be captured (with which not all the troops enter to the battle).

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
fireship4
Hauptmann

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 09:31:11 AM »

To make it slightly more clear if you don't mind Andrey, if I understand you correctly these points are not capturable as on the operational map they are defended by a unit, which for one reason or another is not present on the battlefield - for example, because of the 'limit battlefield area' setting in the game options which tries to get around the problem of an attacker always having less squares, as the 3x3 battlefield is always centered on the attacked square.

I never knew this!
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 01:26:20 AM »

LImited battle size is just a radius check on the OP map from the point of the flame icon.  It does nothing else to determine what gets in a fight.  No limits battles suck everything it all the time and every square can be won or lost.  Only bad thing about no limits battle size is performance often suffers as a crazy amount of stuff can get into a fight.   In GTOS i always played with no limits on unless it crashed or performance was extremely bad (Shilovo until enough stuff was killed, then turned in on).  However, if you loose you loose BIG.  like 3km X 3km area.  So you need map areas large enough to not totally be game over if this happens.  Which is not an issue on the MIUS map. 

In Mius I have done both but not come up with what is best for me.  I think my ideal would be a campaign that is designed around no limits battles AND running well.  I guess now its not no limits and changed to unlimited, but same thing.   

Yabba dabba do
fireship4
Hauptmann

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 03:23:01 PM »

I thought limiting battle area rebalanced forces so that in the situation where one line attacks another it wouldn't be 3 squares of attacking forces versus 6 squares of defending forces.  I shall have to play again and check.
DDTank
Hauptmann

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 04:35:59 PM »

I've noticed something funny going on related to all this too. Posted on the Steam forum.
I don't remember seeing squares marked with shadow meaning they could not be captured before (or maybe I just didn't realise what that indicated as I was lousy at capturing anyway!).
By the way, I assume the black square thing is over-ridden if you rout the enemy? I did that yesterday and it seemed all 9 squared then belonged to me but I have not since been back to the Operational phase to see if that is true.
Juswick
Oberleutnant

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 11:49:07 PM »

When I started this thread I was playing a saved game with the new patch and it may have been why I had problems. I have since played and been able to capture ground with a counter attack. Maybe it was just a saved game with the new patch that caused my problem.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: