Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 09:03:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unfair red squares outlining battle.  (Read 4955 times)
Juswick
Oberleutnant

« on: August 11, 2016, 12:04:38 AM »

Hi I been playing the Smaller Russian attacking campaign and I captured the village and swapped in fresh troops and supported them with AT guinand MG squads but when the Germans attacks the square is drawn around all their reinforcements and leaves out all of my reinforcements. Is this working as it is supposed to work?  It looks wrong that my reinforments can't fight and all the german reinforcements can.

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 09:30:08 AM »

Hmmm its an imperfect improvement in my book.  I am clueless on the criteria that is getting used to define the battle area but no longer do you get as many wacko battles where you either attack into 6 or more squares full of stuff.  Of course the reverse is true as well like happened to you here.  And sometimes it feels off and strange.  But over all i think a step in the right direction.  As to what is the criteria that defines this is what I really want to know.  So as to not get a situation like what happened to you there.  It sure looks like your only hope is that a lot of the Germans hang back.  Actually I think you are fine.  I just noticed which campaign this one is.  Most German units are quite happy to hold what they got in this campaign. 

Yabba dabba do
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 10:55:20 PM »

Personally I think it's hit and miss and can be frustrating and unfair. Now if we knew how he game chooses a battle area we could at least try and avoid anything too risky..like the above..
ppitm
Oberleutnant

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 11:33:16 PM »

Definitely the most obvious flaw in the campaign, speaking as a new player.

The game area should definitely have a bias toward a deep territorial area for the defenders. There's never any reason to have 2 kilometers of depth on the attacker's side.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 11:57:27 AM by ppitm » Logged
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 01:51:01 AM »

The game area should definitely has a bias toward a deep territorial area for the defenders. There's never any reason to have 2 kilometers of depth on the attacker's side.

That is what came before.  In flowing GTOS campaigns it worked well more or less.  In MIUS it means if you attack in the big campaigns you are always vastly out numbered.  Up to like 4 to 1.  No one attacks with odds like that in reality.  Or the reverse you are defending but you always way out number the defenders.  It did not work well.  So indeed you need depth and that is how you blunt an attack of a larger force.  But its not working out like that in Mius as you can just plop your vastly superior force right up front and sit there doing nothing for the win.  Something needed to change.  But hmmm.... we are getting some odd ball battles  with the change. Like what the OP had happen here.  

Its its like before where the game did a radius check on which node you pressed it was predictable. But seems like now its just click the square and who knows what happens.  

In maybe looking at relative combat power?  I really do not know. 

Yabba dabba do
ppitm
Oberleutnant

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 12:00:14 PM »

The game area should definitely has a bias toward a deep territorial area for the defenders. There's never any reason to have 2 kilometers of depth on the attacker's side.

That is what came before.  In flowing GTOS campaigns it worked well more or less.  In MIUS it means if you attack in the big campaigns you are always vastly out numbered.  Up to like 4 to 1.  No one attacks with odds like that in reality.  Or the reverse you are defending but you always way out number the defenders.  It did not work well.  So indeed you need depth and that is how you blunt an attack of a larger force.  But its not working out like that in Mius as you can just plop your vastly superior force right up front and sit there doing nothing for the win.  Something needed to change.  But hmmm.... we are getting some odd ball battles  with the change. Like what the OP had happen here.  

Its its like before where the game did a radius check on which node you pressed it was predictable. But seems like now its just click the square and who knows what happens.  

In maybe looking at relative combat power?  I really do not know.  
I think we need the ability to place more platoons in a given grid square on the operational map.

I have had battles where one artillery spotter, two tanks and one broken-down machinegun somehow filled up a whole square kilometer.

Pretty funny when I think back to the John Tiller Mius Front game, where I could cram 800 men and 20 tanks into an 800-meter hex. (Then they would get hit with Katyusha and the only result would be two dead infantrymen and the tanks being 'fatigued'.  Tongue
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 03:21:43 AM »

It did happen of course that 10000 guys get stuffed into 1 square km.  But that is a really stupid thing to do.  With ww2 artillery you can target and kill an entire grid square on a map if you have the guns and ammo.  Considering you can get 4 movement nodes X 9 squares at maximum and some units are in fact companies and not platoons you will run into performance issues.  If you really want MORE, try no limits battles.  If you get a big one it maybe a performance drops like a rock. 

Another way to handle it is have fewer nodes but infantry is represented by a company and not a platoon.  But this to is strange as its clunky and often you do not want an entire company of infantry in 1 square.  Although on the attack in a larger fight this might be exactly the case. And might be 2 companies out of out of a 3 or 4. The best is try and get one infantry platoon per grid at the least.  Not always easy.   

OR, have 2 systems going on.   One type of nodes for infantry and one for everything else.  A reserved for infantry node.  Or even a traveling node to help with traffic jams on the OP map.  Something where its in movement but will not take part in a fight if a battle happens.  Or just be careful on the Op map to not stick to many heavy weapons in one place. Not a good idea anyways.  And you can always move over infantry from a next door square.  Just don't count on that every time being able to do so. 

Yabba dabba do
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: