Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 12:35:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wire laying troops  (Read 3689 times)
hnbdgr
Major

« on: July 20, 2016, 07:19:09 AM »

So I'm starting to appreciate these a bit more since I did a proof of concept to see whether they can connect a spotter to the rest of the battery.

And I get the concept it's simple, it should work well. Unfortunately in practice some major flaws with the current implementation:

1.) you can't tell wire laying troops which connections you'd like to prioritize

On bigger maps with more assets they never get round to connecting your spotter because they'll spend 2 hours connecting unnecessary things. e.g. a commander to a radio? Cook to field kitchen, god knows what they're doing.

2.) you can't visualize existing wire links.

3.) spotters move in awkward paths often going out of their way to go through a trench but the area the trench is in is often much closer to the enemy than the element they're trying to connect.

Would it be possible to manually prioritize the connections or send them somewhere manually so they can create a connection?

Also I fail to see the advantage of having the radio truck. You can't use 2 radios to call in observed fire for instance. A Platoon with a radio will only trasmit to another platoon with a radio and since no arty battery has a radio not sure what the use of it is.
cik
Oberleutnant

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 08:29:45 PM »

i've never had any luck with the radios. i do wish there were batteries with them though

what a nightmare deathstar you could make out of that

on wire troops: yeah. i'd really like more explicit information about that. one of the more useful things i can think of is that you could see explicitly WHO the commander is connected to by mousing over the wire link established on the left pane

so it would say "link established" then with a mouse over "connected to 3rd battery 24 TD" "4th battery 24 TD" or something. this information technically exists (somewhere) but it's hard as hell to know exactly who can talk to who.

back in GT:OS you could sort of get around these problems by just filling your OOB with tons of wire troops from reserve, but with MF's reinforcement changes this is no longer possible (at least in the scenarios we have now)

commlinks are one of the coolest parts of the game. could use a little ease-of-use changes, though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: