Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 01:29:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steel Fury will not start  (Read 14974 times)
Telperion
Oberleutnant

« on: March 29, 2017, 08:11:35 AM »

Greetings,

I bought Steel Fury from Direct2Drive a few years ago and decided to reinstall it again after seeing what STA and the new missions can offer.  Unfortunately, the game will not start for me.  When I double click the shortcut to the game on the desktop, the cursor briefly changes to the activity circle which goes around a couple times and the disappears.  The game screen never appears.  I've tried the following based on researching previous posts here and elsewhere:
1)  Plain installation in folder c:\games
2)  Plain installation in h:\steel fury
3) Run as administrator
4)  run in WinXP, Vista, Win 7 compatibility modes
5)  Installed 4GB patch - results in error "A required security module cannot be activated. This program cannot be executed (13000). Please have a look at http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=module&c=13000 for further, more detailed information."
6) Disabled anti-virus while installing and attempting to run
7) Installed STA 1.2 alone
8) Installed Directx 9.0c

My system:  I5-6500, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 960, 500 GB SSD C:, Windows 10 64-bit.  

I'm feeling like I have tried every suggestion I could find without success, but I could have missed something.  Do those who successfully play in Windows 10 have the original disk version of the game or the download from GamersGate?  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:17:13 AM by Telperion » Logged
Telperion
Oberleutnant

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 07:19:02 AM »

I thought there were at least a few people who successfully ran the game in Windows 10.  If I spend another $19 and purchase from GamersGate, does anyone know if I'll have the same issues?

I'd like to give the game another chance, I'm tiring of the "balance" aspects of the online games like War Thunder.  In that game, Brit tankers have to aim for individual crew members inside enemy tanks due to how ineffective solid shot AP is.  My breaking point was putting more than 6 rounds of AP from the Sherman Firefly's 17 pdr into a Tiger I less than 500 yds away and merely damaging the turret drive (temporarily) and injuring some crew.  After it repaired itself it took me out with one shot.
tigergirl
Oberleutnant

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:34:37 AM »

"I thought there were at least a few people who successfully ran the game in Windows 10.  If I spend another $19 and purchase from GamersGate, does anyone know if I'll have the same issues?"

I downloaded the game through
http://www.wingamestore.com/product/5091/Steel-Fury-Kharkov-1942/

It runs fine for me on Windows10.  I noticed though, that you said your video card was Nvidia GTX 960.  I seem to recall the manual says the game will not run on Nvidia GeForce FX cards and recommends: ATI Radeon 9500 128 Mb / nVidia GeForce 6600 128 Mb.  I am by no means a computer whiz, so take that with a grain of salt.
my own Steel Fury set up is:
SSM1.0
SSM2.3
STA1.0 (full)
STA_GMP 1.4
STA_GMP 2.37
STA_GMP 3.32
JanUpd_2015

If you install the game the mods should be installed in the above order.  If it still does not run, then it might be an issue with your Nvidia card.  A caveat on the above, I also ran the 4GB Patch.  This is not installed via JSGME.  Instead save it to desk top or down load and run it.  It will ask you to choose which files need to be modified, and these are:
1. ...Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942\bin\rel\shell.exe
2. ...Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942\starter.exe

I hope that helps.
Marci

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;

They stood, and earth's foundations stay;

What God abandoned, these defended,

And saved the sum of things for pay.
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Marci!

Actually, we've solved the problem in PM, but thanks for you help.

I noticed though, that you said your video card was Nvidia GTX 960.  I seem to recall the manual says the game will not run on Nvidia GeForce FX cards and recommends: ATI Radeon 9500 128 Mb / nVidia GeForce 6600 128 Mb.  I am by no means a computer whiz, so take that with a grain of salt.
Just to clarify, GeForce FX are very old cards, so this bit is no longer relevant (I doubt someone still has these). GTX should be fine.

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
tigergirl
Oberleutnant

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 12:40:27 AM »

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the video card clarification.  As I said in my post, I am not exactly a computer whiz. Grin

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;

They stood, and earth's foundations stay;

What God abandoned, these defended,

And saved the sum of things for pay.
Paul RS
Leutnant

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »

Guys,

I cannot get the game to start on Win 7 64 bit. I click on the short cut, the circle next to the mouse pointer revolves for a few seconds and then disappears and that's it.  I have a GTX 1080 graphics card, installed Dx 9c, tried the unofficial patch, tried the 4GB patch. Uninstalled reinstalled, tried XP and win 7 compatibility. Still no luck.

Help!

Thanks

Paul

33lima
Oberst

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »

Hi Paul

as per the screenshots posted and advise received over on the STA forum, it looks like your installation is incomplete eg no starter.exe, some other files or folders not present. I don't think the Gamersgate edition should be any different in that respect. Might be worthwhile redownloading from Gamersgate afresh and reinstalling with that, if you haven't already got this sorted in the meantime.

Ivor

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of his country!" when the guns begin to shoot!
'Tommy', Rudyard Kipling, 1892
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: