Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 09:08:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hollywood propaganda  (Read 9183 times)
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« on: July 10, 2017, 11:16:35 PM »

Yes, because Hollywood is unrealistic and biased Wink

To play devil's advocate, I'd say that Band of Brothers and perhaps Saving Private Ryan were both pretty realistic and unbiased.  As always, care must be taken with too broad an application of stereotypes.  I'm often amused at notion that an American film industry, with American directors, producers etc that makes movies, aimed primarily at an American audience, with an American centric point of view is somehow biased.

Bring back 3D markers!
chaudard
Generalmajor

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 05:54:36 AM »

Hacksaw Ridge is a nice movie too, but Hollywood lack of opposite sided content. It's the reason why occidental people think America is the main victory country in 1945. Hollywood forget Great Britain, Russia... And why not making Germany, Japan, France centric point of view? (See Generation War, a German miniseries similar to Band of Brothers).
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 08:37:49 PM »

You're just talking about Hollywood dominance in the movie industry.  Hollywood has no obligation, or incentive, to make German, Russian, Japanese centered movies.  Eastwood did make "Letters from Iwo Jima" from a Japanese perspective as an interesting exception.  Again, it is a bit too much to expect an American industry, with mostly American personalities, making films primarily for an American audience not to emphasize an American perspective.  No one is stopping French or German or Russian film companies from producing their own "biased" films to correct what they feel are misguided perceptions.

I'm pretty sure a film or game produced by a non-American company would come with it's own set of biases and point of view.  It's only natural.

Bring back 3D markers!
chaudard
Generalmajor

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:58:20 PM »

Yes... In non-US countries, historians say "Hollywood bias" because Hollywood is very vey important in the world, and the other countries cannot produce such amount and quality of movies as USA. So, de facto, history is written @ Hollywood with its natural bias.
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 02:19:57 AM »

It's a shame that a great number of people take movies as educational.  I am amazed by seemingly intelligent people being influenced by the power of suggestion and propaganda in movies.

Bring back 3D markers!
chaudard
Generalmajor

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 05:41:37 AM »

It's natural: propaganda is extremely powerful Wink
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 08:02:14 PM »

It's natural: propaganda is extremely powerful Wink

But it's not propaganda in most movies.  That's where you err. Granted, some documentaries verge into what I would call propaganda but the large majority don't.  Certainly making a movie emphasizing America's role in WW2 is by itself not propaganda.  Would you term any work of fiction propaganda?  When I watch a movie, American or French or whatever the provenance, I'm aware that it's fiction.  I'm aware it's telling a story with one point of view, just like when I read "War and Peace" or "For Whom the Bell Tolls", etc.  Peoples' credulity or naivete is not the fault of the writer or film maker.  In this case, don't shoot the messenger.  

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:06:08 PM by Tanker » Logged

Bring back 3D markers!
chaudard
Generalmajor

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 08:40:54 PM »

It's not my point of view, it's the feeling of the majority of people. Ask them  Wink I could explain the problem in French, but it's hard in english for me. And, it's not the right place to write about politic. A possible indication: 1984 (Orwell).
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 07:34:58 PM »

It's not my point of view, it's the feeling of the majority of people. Ask them  Wink I could explain the problem in French, but it's hard in english for me. And, it's not the right place to write about politic. A possible indication: 1984 (Orwell).

As to taking a poll about whether Hollywood films are propaganda I guess it would depend who you ask.  I kind of interpret non-US opinion on the subject as a bit of sour grapes, tinged with touch of envy.

I can certainly appreciate the difficulty of fully expressing oneself while not using your native language.  I speak a bit of Spanish but I could not express myself as well in that language as you do in English. 

This is a pretty dead board most of the time but maybe the admins feel the same way you do about discussing this here.  Anyway, I've enjoyed the courteous discussion.

Bring back 3D markers!
chaudard
Generalmajor

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 08:03:27 PM »

Thank you  Smiley
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 12:51:38 AM »

Look, a Hollywood war movie which is not about the US  and not about the US winning the war by itself. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/20/movies/dunkirk-review-christopher-nolan.html?action=click&contentCollection=Movies&module=RelatedCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article

Bring back 3D markers!
chaudard
Generalmajor

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 05:47:45 AM »

A review from french media:
Where are the 120 000 french evacuated soldiers? Where are the 40 000 french soldiers fighting germans? Where is the first army fighting near Lille to slow down Germans?
In French:
http://mobile.lemonde.fr/cinema/article/2017/07/19/le-dernier-nolan-deux-films-estivaux-et-un-documentaire-allemand-notre-selection-cinema_5162180_3476.html
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »

LOL, some people are never happy. Wink  Time to make their own movies.

Bring back 3D markers!
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 06:38:34 PM »

CROSS OF IRON...shows that Hollywood can produce a great movie from the Axis side:) Just takes a maverick director..then again thinking about it I'm not sure if Cross of Iron came out of Hollywood..or was like that other amazing War film Waterloo.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: