Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 06:59:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Capturing enemy guns and AT rifles  (Read 5070 times)
jokash
Oberleutnant

« on: May 30, 2018, 08:26:12 PM »

Playing the Odnitsov scenario and i have cleared a Russian position with some intact guns and at rifles...and now the enemy comes with tank counter attack(same battle).Any way for my troops to figure out that they need these weapons...(since there isn't a command to capture an enemy gun).And is there hope for a future update that enables this.(cause why the hell wouldn't they use the anti tank guns and rifles if they don't have any themselves.

https://ibb.co/kOUw7d

Picture with icons of enemy tanks in distance,and my (German) infantry which don't wanna use their own (used by Russians at the start of the battle) gun
orson
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 03:17:14 PM »

Soldiers fighting along side different branches , like armour , artillery and AT would gain at least some form of familiarity with the common weapon systems used , not to the same standard as a trained crew , but if it came down to it they would not just ignore these weapons if they were at all serviceable and had ammunition .   

waypoint
Major

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 12:27:24 AM »

Soldiers fighting along side different branches , like armour , artillery and AT would gain at least some form of familiarity with the common weapon systems used , not to the same standard as a trained crew , but if it came down to it they would not just ignore these weapons if they were at all serviceable and had ammunition .

The equipment that was captured a minute ago is very likely to be either damaged in the fighting or disabled by the crew. Anyway, how familiar is a regular infantryman with repairing a gun's hydraulic recoil mechanism or finding, mounting and sighting in an optical sight on a division level AT-gun? Does he just abandon his duties within his squad and gets a couple of his mates and forms a crew? Are they actually willing to risk it and try to use a weapon system that they only seen from a distance? Is he familiar with repairing, maintaining and operating a T-34 just because his company was fighting alongside some StuGs? How is fighting as a grunt in a battle where armor, arty, and AT were used make's a man any more familiar with their operation? I mean you've got your own tasks and situation to focus on, how is briefly observing a platoon of panzers doing their own thing going to help you? Yes, you don't need a PhD to fight in a tank, and anyone will eventually figure out the basics, but it should take quite some time and likely will take place when there is a prolonged lull in the fighting.

Sorry for the rant. Grin I agree that in some situations they should find a use for the undamaged abandoned battalion level heavy weapons (such as hmg's, atg's, mt's, ig's), but i expect them to perform much worse compared to a trained crew. In the case of the topic starter you could imagine the crew disabling the gun before abandoning it, this practice is mentioned in the contemporary accounts. They could remove the AT-gun's sight or damage the recoil mechanism and remove and disassemble the bolts of the AT-rifles. As far as i know there is no such mechanics in the game at the moment, but one can dream. Smiley
jokash
Oberleutnant

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »

AT rifles at least (how different it is from other rifles),if not the small caliber AT guns
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: