Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 10:00:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Attention Frinik  (Read 161060 times)
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2011, 12:14:36 AM »

Kyth
When i create missions i use the dummy script for movement to contour closed but only afew tanks move. Do you know a better simple dummy script to get the tanks to move?

The 'dummy' script is precisely that - the unit will just react to events without any overall plan.
I'd suggest creating a new script for the purpose of moving to the contour (I prefer to use the term 'waypoint')

Fig 1:

In the 'Scripts' tab:

a. Create a new script. Think up something meaningful for the name, e.g. 'rusmove'.

b. Click 'Add new Operation' under the 'operations script' section. Select the type of operation, which should be 'movement'.

c. Select the existing contour/waypoint where the unit should move.

d. Set the speed of movement. Default is 15km/h.

That's your first instruction - you can keep on adding instructions after this, just click 'add new operation'. The unit assigned this script will follow the instructions sequentially.

Fig 2:

In the 'Divisions' tab:

e. Assign this movement to the unit(s).

Remember to save your changes!

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2011, 02:23:51 AM »

Excellent illustrated tutorial Kyth Wink You should mqake your own tutorials as you are, by far, the best and most experienced SF mission maker West of the Ukraine! Grin

May I suggest a couple of things:

1) move the experience slider which you see in Kyth's second illustration all the way to the right giving your units 100% experience factor.It makes the AI more aggressive, less prone to stumbling over each other and aim and shoot better.Not a huge improvement overall but enough to notice.

2) set the speed slider to the minimum or very close to otherwise the faster they go the more prone they are to flipping over and not making it to the battlefiled or to the waypoint.

3) in the options there is movement and mode of movement. Don't confuse the 2!Mode of movement does not make them move only movement does.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 04:47:11 AM by frinik » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2011, 03:46:27 AM »

Grin

Next question? (preferably one at a time)

Grin

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2011, 04:49:50 AM »

Actuallly Kyth I ahve a question for you;

Which victory/defat trigger would you suggest I use?.I am looking for the most generic/general one which is determined by whether you succeed in eliminating say 80% of the oponent's forces.Is there one like that?
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2011, 05:49:43 AM »

I'd suggest the 'general superiority of allies' trigger - where the 'party' is your side:

I'd normally give it a threshold of 3 or 4 - this would signify 3x or 4x advantage of your forces over the enemy.
There's a delay time, which I normally set at 3 minutes or less.

Remember, any victory condition will have to be coupled with a 'Successful termination of mission' trigger (as can be seen above).
The victory 'musical fragment' is optional.  Smiley

Good luck!

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2011, 06:49:20 AM »

Thanks Kyth for the precious advice! One question why not a lower threshold of 2 fir example? Would it make the victory thresholdf too easy for the player side?
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2011, 06:52:54 AM »

A 2x threshold normally leaves some enemy still hanging on and causing a nuisance  Grin

One more thing about this trigger, it's really only a challenge depending on the starting balance of forces.

That is, if you already start out with a 2x or 3x superiority, it could be a very short mission indeed.

Starting with 2x or 3x disadvantage, that would be a more worthy challenge.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:59:47 AM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2011, 10:35:14 AM »

Well Kyth in my combat missions the player's side fights at 4 to 5 to 1 so I don't have to worry about that!  ;DThanks!
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2011, 10:49:19 AM »

Yes, just thinking back, some of the stock missions already start out with a nearly 2x disadvantage (e.g. Peschanoe).
The problem is, the failure condition is also 2x Sad Which explains why the mission suddenly ends, mysteriously.

"Yes."
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2011, 02:58:49 AM »

Thanks Kyth for the feedback i agree with Frinik you are very knowlegable. I feel a movement script is quite simple to set up but you have to assign to each platoon or they wont move.
Frinik
Can you send me that tutorial to my personal email i have problems downloading from that site? When i make a mission with 20 tanks against 20 tanks and they meet in the middle the frame rates can drop from say 24 to 2 or more for an instant and just stutter real bad. The computer should handle the load.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2011, 07:17:15 AM »

John I will gladly email you the tutorials.

One thing about improving your framerates.I posted  a few tips to your attention?Did you read them?

A few things you can do to improve your fps without too much effort.

1) tick(check) off the desk resolution option box in the game general settings.By uncoupling your game resolution( even if like me you are playing SF at very the same resolution rate that your desktop(laptop) is set at) from your screen native res seems to increase fps by 20% easily.In my case I play SF at 1650 X 1080 and this is my pc screen native resolution as well( I did the same with my Toshiba laptop but at lower res).

2) set the anisotropic slider all the way down to 1 or 0 ( the max is 5) this will give you a solid fps boost.

3) depending on what brand of gpu you are using  - either ATI or Nvidia  -  use the ATI Catalyst suite or the Nvidia 3D control panel to adjust the various settings; refresh rate, mipmaps, AA, etc.Test and see if you notice an improvement in fps without unduly affecting the quality of the graphics.You usualy have the choice between performance or quality in the various sliders.In some cases you can chose quality in others performance or a half way mix of both.I can give you tips but they apply to an ATI card not sure if they would work the same way with an Nvidia one if it's what you are using?

4) All graphic cards, unless they are low end, give you the option of overclocking( that is increasing the performance of both your processor and graphic card above their set values.I don't recommend doing it unless you are a pro and you know what you are doping as overcloking puts more strain on both gpu and cpu and if badly done cane lead to overheating and ultimately frying your motherboard and turning your pc/laptop into junk.However you can do if safely using for example ATI Catalyst Suite Control Centre which has an option to find out what are the optimal overclocking values for both your gpu and cpu.I did that and found that my ATI HD 5670 can be safely overclocked by 15& and my gpu likewise.Being a cautious person, I decided to limit the overclocking to 5% which I feel is sufficient to guarantee a boost in fps without compromising my hardware.Nvidia Control panel offers you the same option, I am sure, in the 3D gaming options.

5) Disabling your anti virus while playing and limiting the number of programs running on your pc while gaming can also help boost performance.
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #191 on: May 16, 2011, 06:53:36 PM »

Thanks for the reply I have an ATI card And i dont like to overclock it leads to instabality imo. I found out about the desktop resolution and dont check it. I read your comments, well done. I make some missions like you dummy scripts and no triggers thats all you really need for a decent mission the AI is pretty good.I cant figure out when you make  a contour what the numbers mean and why they are needed. Bye for now.   JohnN
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #192 on: May 16, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »

Are those tech files and res file that you sent me  a while ago up to date or have you modified them?  i have been using them as is. Thanks
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2011, 02:37:38 AM »

I have made some modifications based on Mistwalker's comments and tweaking the HE .It's more potent explosive-wise but not as destructive against infantry as it ought to be.We need shrapnel.I can send the new ones to you if you want.The contours only matters if you want to make scripted misisons.Otherwsie just forghet them.Just create positions in a circle or elongated shape and take into account how many tanks and infantry you are putting in the space allocated to avoid tanks running over each other like mating beasts Grin.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2011, 05:44:27 AM »

I make some missions like you dummy scripts and no triggers thats all you really need for a decent mission

Shocked

Given up... already??

Shocked

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2011, 06:10:36 AM »

Hemi most of combat missions have tailored made dummies( not counting me of course  Grin)

I give assign or create a new dummy depending on the type of action required e i.e dumm04 will be movement foto a specific location(zone).Dummy05 will be acsribed to unit for defence or ambush purposes, dummy06 will be for airstrikes or artillery strikes.You can create as many dummy types as you want as long as:

1) you make sur what action you want certain units to perform.

b) ensure that you click on the correct dummy script when assigning or creating divisions
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2011, 07:26:46 AM »

Hemi most of combat missions have tailored made dummies( not counting me of course  Grin)

I give assign or create a new dummy depending on the type of action required e i.e dumm04 will be movement foto a specific location(zone).Dummy05 will be acsribed to unit for defence or ambush purposes, dummy06 will be for airstrikes or artillery strikes.You can create as many dummy types as you want as long as:

1) you make sur what action you want certain units to perform.

b) ensure that you click on the correct dummy script when assigning or creating divisions

Cheesy

Those, by definition, are not dummy scripts. Why not name them something else, other than "Dummy_xx" ?
Something more descriptive, perhaps?

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #197 on: May 17, 2011, 07:52:30 AM »

Kyth you are right!.Better call them ger_attack or rus_defence something like thatHemi.I am just lazy at times Grin
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #198 on: May 17, 2011, 12:41:30 PM »

Thanks to both of you for the explanations. I'll get this eventually. This ME is way more complicated than anything in SH.

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #199 on: May 17, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »

Actuallythe ME is not complicated but omplex.There's a learning curve to master but once you have it then you ll see that it's really a routine.Don't lose heart we are counting on your future missions Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: