Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 01:19:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Attention Frinik  (Read 161031 times)
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #260 on: October 26, 2011, 03:58:24 PM »

John it pays the read the forum and actually participate!Not just pop up to get things and then disappear until you need new ones!

The link was posted by Whukid on the forum Otober 16th.Here it is:http://www.mediafire.com/?jakmgq2qahfqcha
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #261 on: October 26, 2011, 05:14:48 PM »

i can appreciate your opinion Frinik, I have been working on steel beasts for awhile and have been able to get some good results after alot of hard work. I still feel after comparison that steel fury has alot of benefits. im starting to collect info files now on steel fury to better my awareness and tax my brain. I didnt realize that the game engine is so complex and after reading kyths lockies iceman and your comments its a little bit daunting. i would like to be able to contribute some missions someday but at this time i dont feel competent enough and feel i have nothing to offer. At this tme a student can only imagine.  Thanks   JohnN
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #262 on: October 26, 2011, 06:53:58 PM »

John not everybody has to contribute.Nothing is asked of anybody here unless people want to.Some Giants like Kyth, Lockie, Stone 2009, Rends etc give much more to the game than they take.I, on the other hand, give what I can.What I meant is it's good to scan the forum, read the posts and even participate to the debate with ideas and comments or suggestions.I am sorry if my comment was a tad harsh but I feel sometime people just pop because they want something without any real interest in what going's on the forum.
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #263 on: October 28, 2011, 04:00:59 PM »

i think that its very tempting to us to hold to tradition instead of seeking the truth and on that note i find that its frustrating to talk to people unless they are willing to appeal to truth and reasonable assertions. if people want to hold to prreconceived notions its hard to find a platform for discussion. I know you are not one of those and thats why i find it interesting to communicate with you. i think alot of debate stems from these common threads and i am certainly not immune. My assumption at this time is that the concensus of opinion is that you want to keeep this platform authentic and i respect and honor that. Having set the agenda,everything i read on the forum seems to indicate that there is a drift to compromise. its not possible to serve two masters and those are not my words. Id like for somebody to tell me (someone that really knows) what tank vehicles,aircraft, artillery etc. are really authentic to this ww11 era so i can avoid putting them into missions and keep the integrity of Steel Fury. Maybe im being too legalistic but im a little disturbed about this issue and would like to know the thoughts of the intelligensia.   Bye for now
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #264 on: October 28, 2011, 04:10:38 PM »

John I think Steel Fury cannot be 100% authentic!It´s impossible because it´s a sim yes but a sim-game wiht all the compromises that have to be made to satisfy both the yearning for authenticity every real sim player has( compared to the arcade ones who just yearn for thrills)and the gameplay which needs to be taken into account so any sim or game can sell as well as satisfy the gamers.Taking into accoutn the string budget on which Sf was made compared to behemoths like RO, Battlefiled, CoH, Arma and Crysis I think Graviteam has done an outstanding job!It´s the reason this sim is passionately played and modded by a dedicated group of fans and players despite the distributors having either gone belly up or simply not involved in the game anymore.

No game is perfect but I think SF is to WWI warfare what SB is to modern tank warfare minus the MP side and without the funds to push the game as far as it could have gone.Hopefully Graviteam will be able to show their talent in Steel Armour Blaze of War and build upon this to make their next WWII sim simply the best that all sims will have to measure up against.
murkz
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #265 on: October 28, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »

As a Steel Beasts owner, It is my opinion that Steel Fury is a much better tanking experience.

Steel Beasts is a very sterile affair, that is half arsed in what it has and does. You have great tank models and poor tank models, great interior and frankly laughable ones. No visible suspension or shadows, dodgy helicopter flight model etc...

So Steel Fury has my full support as does Steel Armour.

Here is my preview http://theantisocialgamer.blogspot.com/

Trying to spread the word for Graviteam Smiley

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #266 on: October 28, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »

JohnN,

Regarding authentic vehicles and artillery for the missions, it's a good idea to get hold of some good general reference books or websites to do some reading up.

All this information is quite widely available and not particularly specialized. I would hazard a guess that to most of the people on the forum this is general knowledge and easily picked up through a keen interest in the subject,

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #267 on: October 28, 2011, 05:07:12 PM »

Good article, but I'm not sure as for this phrase "Now we have Steel Armour another new tank simulation from Graviteam". According to my experience, it'll be a strategy vs a possibility to play as a tankman, imho.

Provocative signature removed
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #268 on: October 28, 2011, 06:04:09 PM »

You are right Lockie it's actually a hybrid half sim, half RTS type but my undertanding is that like a sim you can play one of the positions in the tank commander, gunner, driver or loader?Correct?

Murkz, I concur with you.I also own and rarely play SB and SF has the immersion and emotions that SB just does not have.Well it's a trainig software turned into a game by default!

Still Graviteam has managed to pull something out of their hat with every game be it sim or rts thye have made so far.The poor artists are often those who strive for the top with the l;ittle thye have.May be Graviteam being so small and with little means is forcing them to be more creative and mnake the best of what they have.Whatever the case it's working.
Panzerfaust
Generalmajor

« Reply #269 on: October 30, 2011, 03:21:08 PM »

Good article, but I'm not sure as for this phrase "Now we have Steel Armour another new tank simulation from Graviteam". According to my experience, it'll be a strategy vs a possibility to play as a tankman, imho.

Here's a snipit from an game update  I had the pleasure of doing for Vlad and SimHq:

"Robert: Sounds like you have combined some of the gameplay features of Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942 and Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943 in a modern setting. Is that a fair assessment?

Vladimir: Yes, that’s the way it happened. Intentionally on the one hand — players have been asking to add the possibility of “RTS-styled” managing techniques and infantry. That is exactly what is added. This is a well-tuned and, I hope, an interesting game feature from the tactics simulator. On the other hand, the tank simulator is based on the engine and game mechanics of the tactics simulator, which does affect it in its way.

Robert: A little more on the hypothetical gameplay mode type questions. Let’s say I’m not much into the tactical / operations planning aspects of games. I really just want to play strictly from any individual tankers point-of-view (like Steel Fury). Will the game AI make relevant tactical / operational decisions for other units under my control in relation to my performance in the individual unit I’m in?  Now let’s say I like to do both, the tactical / operational planning but also want the ability to jump into any friendly tank in my command  and play any crew able positions of those individual tanks. Could I do that? And lastly let’s say I have no interest in playing from the tankers point-of-view and really only want to play from the tactical / operational aspect in a “Gods Eye” view (like Achtung Panzer), will this be possible also?

Vladimir: AI is able to manage battle actions on its own. It is enough for the player to give it initial orders (before the battle), or just turn the AI’s self-dependence mode on. Then the player will just need to manage his direct subordinates (these are usually tanks of the platoon or company, and leave the rest of the units independent both during the operational (strategic) phase and right during the battle."

I also have SB (but don't play it nearly as much as SFK42) but some of these features in SA:BoW looks somewhat similar to SB. Yes it appears you cannot just play as a single individual tanker and the AI will handle the rest of the platoon making what it feels are the best decisions for the situation. It appears you have been elevated to the XO position, you can still man any position in your tank, but you also have to added responsibility of giving orders to the rest of your platoon and the AI will execute on those orders. So it looks like the user has much more indepth control over their platoon actions and the tactics you want to employ compared to the basic commands available to a platoon comander in SFK42.  Overall any game play mode in SA:BoW you decide on playing will be definately a little more complicated, it should add a new added level satisfaction when you complete a mission objective.
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #270 on: October 31, 2011, 03:59:37 PM »

Very interesting comments.Thanks for the feedback. As far as authenticity is concerned i guess my point is that if you are playing a mission in the eastern front and you see a Hetzer which wasnt in production until 1944 i feel uncomfortable about that for some reason. i think everyone has made it clear that they dont want an m1a1 in the game for similar reasons. i wonder where the boundaries are. Maybe restrict to ww11 and thats it no exceptions. The new release sounds as if there is some doubt about it . Maybe its Steel Fury modded indefinitely and thats all folks. Steel Beasts maps 20km by 20 km wow!!!!
Murkz you an exceptionately talented individual and could do alot to improve this title Steel Fury. Cheers
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #271 on: October 31, 2011, 04:47:41 PM »

Any more comments about Steel Armour? Could you import tank models and maps into Steel Fury?
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #272 on: October 31, 2011, 05:07:32 PM »

i dont understand the preoccupation and fascination with interior models. Steel beasts has very nice ones but imo you cant do anything from inside just eye candy. im open for insight can anyone help?
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #273 on: October 31, 2011, 07:04:19 PM »

Any more comments about Steel Armour? Could you import tank models and maps into Steel Fury?
Probably John.In fact Stone 2009 has already a T-62 taken from SABoW which he will use to make an Afghanistan mod for SF to be released around Xmas.An M60 and couple of APCs as well.There`s thread going back to September on the forum about it.
natalia99a
Major

« Reply #274 on: November 01, 2011, 03:41:04 AM »

i dont understand the preoccupation and fascination with interior models. Steel beasts has very nice ones but imo you cant do anything from inside just eye candy. im open for insight can anyone help?

Well I suppose that could include any number of details, like saws and shovels on the tanks, paint jobs and such. None of them make the tank more effective, but it does add to the immersion and enjoyment of the game, at least to me anyway  Smiley

Most games that have high detail tend have mediocre playability and vice versa, but this game is very near to having both thanks to all the talented people at work on those models  Smiley

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

Luciano De Crescenzo
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #275 on: November 01, 2011, 03:49:16 AM »

I totally agree with Natalia.Minute details are what people look for when they play a simulation.After all the Latin word simulare originally meant to imitate real life. I personally don't pay particular attention to the inside of a tank focussing on the battle and tactics aspects.But I have seen vids made by people looking inside the tnak an dit's fascinating to see the various AI characters loading or driving etc.There's a pretty good video trailer of Red Orchestra "Heroes of Stalingrad" which shows a Panzer IVF2 crew in action.Immersion is what people look for in order to lose contact with reality when they play and actually live the game as if it were for real.
starnon5
Hauptmann

« Reply #276 on: November 01, 2011, 11:13:32 AM »

Interior models are important for the 'immersion' of a game. If I'm not going to get that 'feeling' of being in a tank and all the associated effects, then I may as well be playing space-invaders. When just having a gunsight view, as with all the addon tanks' you don't get that feeling that you are part of a tank crew (that you can see in the standard tanks) and rolling around inside a steel shell.  It's like in Silent Hunter, you don't need the internal 3d view, or nice sky, waves, textures or anything, in fact it could be a Dos Basic text game, but the 'immersion' is the major reason that people play it.
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #277 on: November 01, 2011, 12:37:49 PM »

Interior models are important for the 'immersion' of a game. If I'm not going to get that 'feeling' of being in a tank and all the associated effects, then I may as well be playing space-invaders. When just having a gunsight view, as with all the addon tanks' you don't get that feeling that you are part of a tank crew (that you can see in the standard tanks) and rolling around inside a steel shell.  It's like in Silent Hunter, you don't need the internal 3d view, or nice sky, waves, textures or anything, in fact it could be a Dos Basic text game, but the 'immersion' is the major reason that people play it.

Actually, the Silent Hunter community is on the verge of mutiny after that last little episode with EA. They [developers] spent so much time on visuals and not enough on game-play that people stopped buying their series; Silent hunter III outsold Silent Hunter V by 3fold, which had no 3D stuff, no great waves, no great textures; just great gameplay. I definitely see what you're saying, but maybe its best to use a different game, like IL-2 1946.

starnon5
Hauptmann

« Reply #278 on: November 01, 2011, 02:21:15 PM »

Well, true! SH5 has probably killed off the entire series. But SH4 with all the North Atlantic mods running is still a visual, immersive feast while still having all the full simulator gameplay of the earlier ones.
natalia99a
Major

« Reply #279 on: November 02, 2011, 03:16:35 AM »

I am also very angry with EA, not only have they ruined the sub sims, they have ruined my sims with their non stop microsoft style updates that make nearly every mod obsolete. sorry about that but I had to vent after seeing those jerks being mentioned Embarrassed

I am just glad they had nothing to do with this game, Graviteam actually seems to care about it's customers and I will continue buying their products. I will however NEVER buy anything else EA is involved in, even if they were only a minor contributor to a title!

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

Luciano De Crescenzo
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: