Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 11:14:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Attention Frinik  (Read 161046 times)
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #300 on: November 10, 2011, 06:57:39 PM »

What im trying to say is that public opinion states that everyone likes WW11 sims like Steel Fury ...
I'm the one, who vote!

Provocative signature removed
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #301 on: November 11, 2011, 01:12:28 AM »

Thanks gentlemen for your feedback. I like to support small companies too. I didnt realize that Graviteam is coming out with a new release  in 2012. Would like to know more. I think they have done a great job for a few guys and I take my hat off to them.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #302 on: November 11, 2011, 02:17:03 AM »

What im trying to say is that public opinion states that everyone likes WW11 sims like Steel Fury ...
I'm the one, who vote!

I vote yes too! Smiley
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #303 on: November 11, 2011, 02:18:10 AM »

It goes without saying - my hat is always OFF to Graviteam!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:20:27 AM by lockie » Logged

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #304 on: November 11, 2011, 02:20:01 AM »

It goes without saying - my hat is alway OFF to Graviteam!

So is mine!Imagine the things they could do if they only had the money.....
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #305 on: November 11, 2011, 02:22:03 AM »

So is mine!Imagine the things they could do if they only had the money.....
At least, we've a game SF, shell we see? Wink
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:49:18 AM by lockie » Logged

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #306 on: November 11, 2011, 07:23:24 AM »

Lockie the link you posted sends you to a Led Zeppelin tribute video?Huh??

BTW there's a rock group called Steel Fury( to tell you the truth I had never heard of them...)
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #307 on: November 11, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »

Ray,

Yes, Tiger I tanks were employed by Russian during WWII. Here is some info for you. Still looking for actual photos but as you well know, the Russians didn't let too much information leave the "Iron Curtain"  for political reasons.

Tim

http://wio.ru/tank/capt/capt.htm
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #308 on: November 14, 2011, 08:09:49 PM »

Just downloaded the arma 2 files. Thanks to all concerned.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #309 on: November 14, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »

wonder how many of those "Trophy" tanks were destroyed by friendly fire

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #310 on: November 15, 2011, 01:55:02 AM »

Great question i wondered too Rends. i cant imagine anyone keeping records of that it would be embarassing. My b in l played your Barbarrosa missions and thoroughly enjoyed all of them thank you.      JohnN

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #311 on: November 15, 2011, 02:21:53 AM »

From what i read the instructions to Red Army tank crews were t use the TIgers only until they ran out of fuel or would break down.I sincerely dpoubt that they were ever used in actual combat.They were far too difficult to operate and maintain for the average Soviet tank crews.Hell I remeber watching a documentary a long tiem ago in which a REd Army tank driver was saying that they always carried a wooden hammer in case the transmission of their T34s would be difficult to move when it was cold etc.They would simply hammer at it until it shifted.... Shocked
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #312 on: November 27, 2011, 11:06:05 PM »

I have been experimenting with some of the new missions. I have tried the mission pack 10 with 23 missions and let my b in l test for me. His computer is not too bad, but alot of the missions we wanted to play crashed to the 001 screen and was very frustrating. I then had him play on my really good computer and some of them crashed oh well. I figured i would delete some divisions to free up resources. The aircraft seem to really rob the computer of its speed. My b in l says he only wants to play tank on tank, i can understand that point of view. I think that was the original intention of the game.
Steel Fury can really tax a computer, you can even see your tank hiccup sometimes without even being hit like action somewhere else is affecting you seriously. Im not saying that the missions are not good because they seem well designed but i dont think that they are adequately tested and faults corrected. When Kyth mentioned hassle free missions i suspected that not all  missions were going to work. Its a little bit of a shame for the community of Steel Fury tankers.

Here are some of my observations
1. Steel Fury is very sensitive to computer resources and for an effective mission you need to be aware of the limitations.
I would love to have 50 tigers against 50 KV1s for example but i dont think its possible even with a ATI 6870 video card. I think that the game is limited to about 10 units on both sides to be safe . I dont really know about the effect of infantry on slowing down framerates. Maybe somebody in the know can help me here. Just an additional thought is that i really didnt expect this game to be so hard on the computer. Im kind of shell shocked (pardon the pun).
2. Im questioning the use of aircraft having this in mind and wondering if they are worth it to use in missions.

Question for Kyth
I was wondering if you could start helping me to understand the main cs mission block more. I read the manual but its not very clear. I undersatnd this to be the main mission logic. Can you discuss how to make entries and what is the potential for logic and entries. Most missions have quite a few entries. And those waypoints you talk about?

Frinik
Those Churchill tanks are really slow and lumbering tanks , it makes me wonder why they were leased from the British.
I am using nta 1.3 at the moment because your smoke tweaks wont work on 1.4 as i know it to be. Anyway some of the units are described in Russian text and i dont think the english patch translates. So now its nta 1.3 with your tweaks for sound and smoke, deformed text added and i dont know if i should use your tech files corrected too?can you let me know when you finish your tweaks for nta 1.4.im asuming that someday like when SP 1.6 comes out that all these additions will be incorporated because it can be very taxing to remember everything when you make a fresh install etc.With all these fixes going around i can imagine what it would be like for a newcomer to this title.   Cheers for now JohnN
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #313 on: November 28, 2011, 02:25:47 AM »

HI John!

Uhhhh my tweaks work with any mod.It's part of the common res folder .You have to simply enter the new data manually in your main game data folder not in the NTA1.4.I have the tweaks on all install Beta 1.5, Steel Panzer 1.4(I still have an install of that old mod), NTA 1.3 and NTA.4.I have them on all mods and they work fine????What do you mean don't work?Don't see thme when you play the game?

Re The missions crashing I also have the same problem but don't blame the mission makers it may be due that, like me, you made changes to the armour maps or tech_cfg files which may be the cause of the problem.Rends missions both Barbarossa and Orel work well as well as Kyth's so essentially it's changes to the big tanks and SPGs that may cause the missions to crash.

Re the airstrikes ; I am not particulalrly fond of them but I believe that during the war it was not always tank on tank and airstrikes played a role.That being said you can always remove them from the missions if you don't want them.

Cheers

Finally re the stutters, one problem is that Steel Fury apparently does not take advantage of multi cores cpu thus even if you have a duo or quad core cpu SF does not use all the cores.I suspect that's the reason the fps are limited to 60 fps in game.Only once or twice for breif moments did I ever see the fps go above to 60 fps mark.May be the guys who created the game only had old pcs with pentium 4 or 5 chips which could not give a very high performance????I can play SF fairly well even with a modest HD3650 512 mbs ddr3.The secret is in tweaking the  game a little .For example for low or medium strength gpu untick the play at desktop resolution box in the games settings.Just that made me gain 30% more fps.It works even with more powrful cards; with an Nvidia GT 560 M for example I unticked and got 35 to a max of 52 fps then ticked the box and the fps went down to 21 to a max of 36.Also if your card allows it turn off anti aliasing in the ATI Catalyst or the Nvidia panel.Set your card to performance rather than quality. In the game settings turn off the anisotropic slider to 0 etc. Now I can play the game with fps up to 60 with ATI HD 5670 and Nvidia GT560 and with my ATI HD 3650 up to 30 depending on the mission.Try modifying the video settings and untick the desktop resolution box in the game menu and try tweaking your card if it allows it.Also set your pc to high performance in the power options.Install Game Booster 3 it's small free program which you can Google.It take 5 minutes to download and another 5 to install and it come with free defrag and really helps old opcs boost their gaming performance.Try it!Asd for an ATIHD 6870 I 'll tell you that this card would chew SF up and not give you any stutters Grin. But in my opinion even a 6850 or 6790 would give you very solid performance.On the Nvidia side a 560 , 570 or 580 would do the same.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:03:22 AM by frinik » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #314 on: November 28, 2011, 02:26:14 AM »

Question for Kyth
I was wondering if you could start helping me to understand the main cs mission block more. I read the manual but its not very clear. I undersatnd this to be the main mission

logic. Can you discuss how to make entries and what is the potential for logic and entries. Most missions have quite a few entries. And those waypoints you talk about?

Hi,

The cs_main() block is where everything else (triggers, scripting, map display, messages) comes together to give some meaning and structure to the mission -from the player's point of view.
The 2km x 2km map may appear small in the overhead view, but unless you know it like the back of your hand at ground level, some added navigation, with some explanation of the objectives, is useful.

The sequence of a mission goes something like this:

a) Initial Briefing before you start the mission. This is displayed in the main box in the Briefing screen.

b) First objective assigned, which involves some combination of destroying the enemy, reaching a location or capturing it. It's location is marked out by a square, light blue icon in the Game screen, which is useful if you don't want to constantly refer to the map. This icon has a label, and the briefing screen and message box are updated with a detailed description of the current objective.

c) Assuming you survive and achieve the first objective, the square icon goes away, to be replaced by another one, which is the next objective. Also labelled and accompanied with an update to the briefing screen and message box.

d) Assuming you survive and achieve the second objective, the second square icon goes away and the next objective is assigned, the same way.

e) And so on, until ultimate victory or defeat.

f) In addition to the actual mission objectives, you're also allowed to mark out some useful navigation points to be displayed in the Game screen, which appear as little square, green icons with labels. Also useful, if you want to navigate around in the Game screen without referring constantly to the map.

All the things described above are set up in the cs_main() section. It's possible to leave the cs_main blank, but that's not very friendly to the player who'll be reviewing the mission  Grin

Hope this helps!

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #315 on: November 29, 2011, 11:30:58 PM »

Thanks Kyth for the response
 The explanation will take a little time to evaluate. With all the scripts, triggers, etc it seems like all the commands are given to units with all the game logic assigned so the progres of the battlefield scenario is set in stone. To require overall logic seems redundant and il have to study its value. It sounds like its related to the user perspective and i didnt think there was an accomodation for that. im going to study all your missions and Kyths. Kyth 01 has alot of cs main listings and ill try to understand their implications.

Frinik
what threw me off was the instructions in the we love frinik pack. It had seperate sounds for nta1.3 and stated that 1.4 was being worked on. Maybe the common res file is the same for all the mods but the sounds are customized and are special for each. Anyway i had them working on SP 1.5 and they were great. Im sure you can tell if they are loaded. You are really the master of tweaks mate. When will you be able to blow the turret off like steel fury if ever? I studied the changes you nade in the Panther tech file from default and it seems like you increased armor thickness and frailty. Can you please explain your phsycology on tweaking and rational behind your changes please. After careful analysis of this title i am of the persuasion that well be living in the Panther and Tiger tanks. Speed and full rotating turrets good fun. I feel that if anyone ever designs an interior it should be for these 2 tanks. What about some new skins for them that would be great. Ive got one for the tiger e pack but i woukld love a nice one for the Panther it looks a little boring. With all those graphic settings set low iand using a laptop i wonder the quality of your experience.What about writing an upgrade to the code to accomodate multicore and multiple monitors. What do you feel is the limit of tweaking for example deformation on turret took 1 simple entry what else can you do i wonder. Cheers for now   JohnN
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #316 on: November 29, 2011, 11:44:10 PM »

Kyth
1 last comment if you can believe it Grin
In Steel Beasts when you look at the map to see the enemy positions you only see those units that are reported by other friendlies so its realistic and alot harder when you dont know where everyone is. I cant remember any references to gps sattelite data in WW11. I just wonder by giving the user the cs main block to assist and showing all units on the map it might be aliittle unrealistic and making the game too easy. Undecided
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #317 on: November 30, 2011, 01:42:40 AM »

Kyth
In Steel Beasts when you look at the map to see the enemy positions you only see those units that are reported by other friendlies so its realistic and alot harder when you dont know where everyone is. I cant remember any references to gps sattelite data in WW11. I just wonder by giving the user the cs main block to assist and showing all units on the map it might be aliittle unrealistic and making the game too easy. Undecided

In Steel Fury, enemy units only show up on the map when they're spotted by friendlies. Even then, they may not show up if your radio is knocked out,

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #318 on: November 30, 2011, 02:24:46 AM »

JOHN RE the sound mod John I will email you the one that I have for NTA 1.4 it's the same.What you may have in NTA 1.3 .Simply copy that one into your game main data folder in the sounds folder.NTA 1.4 only offers a few new sounds whxcih will not interfere with the main sound game.Of course you may have to recopy the shot_kwk42 into the weapons folders.Re the Tweaks when you install NTA 1.4 it comes with a common res folder.Just make the chnage smanually into that folder using the tweaks you have in the game main folder and you'll have thme back.I have new engine tracks sounds for the  Jagdpanther, KVs( and SU 122/152 since they have the same engine), Churchill(if you have the model) and Tiger and new gun sounds for the 2 pounder and German 105 mm gun.I ll email them to you with instructions.

Cheers
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #319 on: November 30, 2011, 08:23:21 AM »

Kyth

In Steel Fury, enemy units only show up on the map when they're spotted by friendlies. Even then, they may not show up if your radio is knocked out,

so far i remember you can set in the options menu to show all units - or spotted by friendly -  or no units

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18
  Print  

Jump to: