Graviteam
April 20, 2024, 07:43:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using the gunsight  (Read 14448 times)
DDTank
« on: April 02, 2009, 07:45:28 PM »

I understand the principle of estimating the distance of a target using the scale on the gunsight then on p31 of the manual it says "estimated distances can be dialled into the gunsight".
How do you do that then...?
DDTank
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:45:36 AM »

Almost 40 viewings to my question and not one reply...
I guess the answer is therefore, you cannot enter the computed range into the gunsight; in fact all the rangefinding displays are just to make it pretty and you just aim 'a bit above the target and hope you hit it'!
Iceman
Graviteam
Oberstleutnant

*Graviteam* (Assistant Deputy Backup Courier)

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:02:56 AM »

User manual
Chapter 9. SIGHTS USAGE. page 41 - ...

дополнительный Помощник младшего Заместителя вспомогательного Курьера
DDTank
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:34:32 PM »

User manual
Er...yes, and...?
My manual only goes up to page 38 but chapter 9 is there from page 30-33. In section 9.1.1 it says "estimate distances can be dialed into the gunsight" but there is no explanation how you do that.
Iceman
Graviteam
Oberstleutnant

*Graviteam* (Assistant Deputy Backup Courier)

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 06:09:11 PM »

Er...yes, and...?
My manual only goes up to page 38 but chapter 9 is there from page 30-33. In section 9.1.1 it says "estimate distances can be dialed into the gunsight" but there is no explanation how you do that.
This page from \docs\user_manual.pdf in the full English version of game
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:37:32 PM by Iceman » Logged

дополнительный Помощник младшего Заместителя вспомогательного Курьера
nodlew
Major

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:35:39 AM »

I realize this is an ancient thread, but it's been read 1500 times and I may have a pointer for people with trouble using the gun sights. I was having trouble getting them to work as well. I'd read the manual and had an idea how to use the scales for estimating range, but I couldn't get my keyboard commands to actually input range data into the various gun sights--T and Y did not work. I remapped the keys--still didn't work. Eventually I found that the wheel on my mouse was the input that I had to use to set the sight to a particular range. Apparently, the mouse wheel overrides the keyboard altogether. I hope this is only the case if one actually has a mouse wheel.
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 04:43:52 PM »

I'll be revisiting the game after a time away from it. I recall not being able to actually FIRE the gun from my last attempts with it. I used the left mouse button as well as the SPACE bar (and checked that these were indicated in the Setup as the right keys) and it just flat out didn't work. Not sure if this had to do with it being the training mission, but I think I remember trying one Single Mission. I was able to navigate the waypoints but couldn't fire the gun.

I'll be trying again in the next few days. An initial trial after upgrading to 1.5 and adding Prokhorovka showed really low frame rates Sad although the setup in the game says my system is more than adequate to run it. Again, we'll see....

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
norm
Oberst

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 09:47:07 PM »

numpad + increases range, and numpad - decreases it. If you have a joystick, the throttle axis can also be used.
peashooter1
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 09:49:42 PM »

Hi Stig,
Wanted to provide some information and offer some suggestions about the problems you mentioned. Please do not get offended by some of the suggestions or info, I am not trying to be a smart arse but honestly want to help. One thing I have found with SFK42 is sometimes overlooking even the little things can leave you scratching your head (been there a few times myself  Grin ).
In the tutorial missions you can only fire the bow MG in the driving tutorial (if you move to the bow gunners position) also if I recall correctly you can only change position in this tutorial between the driver and bow gunner. In the Gunnery tutorial you only get the pratice rounds after you have killed off the infantry in the trench with the turret MG. You cannot get any other cannon round in this mission but the pratice round and again only after you have killed the infantry. The game will prompt you to this being accompolished by starting to describe your next objective and explaining about the different round types. In the Commanding tutorial all tank positions are available and you can fire all AP and HE rounds. Also make sure that you have a round loaded by checking the round loaded indicator located at the bottom left of the screen. What I have noticed is if at the gunners screen (and probably the commanders screen as well) if I tell the loader to switch round types before I clear the gun of the last round type he won't load another round of the requested type unless I hit the "R" key. Very easy to forget to check to see if you have a round chambered in the heat of battle. Many times I have ordered up an AP round to deal with a tank after having HE loaded to deal with infantry. Got the tank in my sights and clicked the mouse button only to have nothing happen. Looking down to the round loaded indicator only to see no round loaded lol. Also if your loader has been killed or wounded no more rounds will get chambered until you replace him with another member of your crew. If your doing all these things and you still cannot fire your cannon then I'm at a loss. The only other problem I think I heard about is if you have your joystick enabled in the GUI, IIRC it can cause problems with the keyboard commands. Since I only play with the keyboard and mouse and have never used the joystick I cannot confirm this. As for the low FPS, SFK42 is pretty flexable and even though the game will say your system is more then ample enough to run SFK42 with all the bells and whistles on I do not think it's accurate anymore with all the new content that has been added since the original release. I remember when I first got SFK42 and in it's stock form I was getting FPS in the 50+ range and with even a lot going on it rarely dropped below the high 20's. But now with all the new content 30+ FPS is more the norm and sometimes lows as 12 FPS if there is lots going on. So even with my quad core I had to do some experimenting to find a happy medium. Also I'm pretty sure that I read at Sukhoi.RU that SFK42 is not written to take advantage of multi cores. So if you have a multi or dual core processor running at over 2.66 (3.0 is probably the best) your probably going to get very good FPS with everything on most of the time.
Cheers
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:57:02 PM by peashooter1 » Logged
nodlew
Major

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 03:26:30 AM »

Thanks for that info Norm. Need to try using the throttle--probably faster than the mouse wheel. I finally figured out how to adjust the vertical cross-hair line to right or left for pinpoint accuracy. That's under sights--just like it should be.

Stig--I had that problem with the Gunnery Tutorial. It turned out, for whatever reason, that the Matilda I was supposed to be gun training on had no main gun ammunition at all. The problem seems to have corrected itself--maybe a mod I enabled.

I've been reading up about how to employ WWII gun sights, the Strich system, etc. There is a great web site on the subject which I'm sure y'all already know about, here's the link anyway: http://pedg.yuku.com/topic/1728/t/Ranging-Turmzielfernrohr-TZF-9b-gun-sight-optics.html

I've made a little gunnery range mission and have been practicing with targets at various common ranges. There seems to be something funky going on. My commander reports a target at over 1000 m, but my AP rounds dial-in at around 700. ? In the Tiger, my HE rounds seem to have superior (flatter) ballistic trajectories to my AP rounds. ? Oh well, guess I'll just have to adjust. As it is, the sight is not so dependable for range calculations. Might be something I'm doing wrong.

I am absolutely loving SPM 1.5 beta. Those Ruskies know how to do Tanks right. Before the Mod update I hated using the Target Highlight function--seemed cheesy--but I had to for realism's sake. In a chaotic battle, I just could not identify enough targets quickly enough by swiveling the turret back and forth. I got killed a lot. Now, the commander reports the target, estimates range, and gives me a Clock position to seek the target--all done verbally just like real life, without having to use the target highlight at all. Fantastic. Let me say that again with some emphasis: FANTASTIC! I still get killed a lot, but I get killed realistically. That wasn't in stock, was it? Don't think it was.

And the new tanks are absolutely beautiful. I don't know who modeled them, but they are professionally done. At least as good as the vehicles that came with the game. The skins are beautiful as well. I was doing Rend's Provkhorovka campaign for the first time in an SU 85--didn't know what to expect. I bounced around through the first part of the mission peering through my sight, desperately trying to find a target--nothing. Got all the way to the objective, a small hilltop village, without having fired a shot, or having been shot at then suddenly a German tank fills my gun sight and I blurted out loud:"Oh my God, that's a Panther!" It was maybe 200 meters away.

The first time I saw a Ferdinand I almost crapped myself. Those things are MASSIVE. This game, more than any I've ever played, actually SIMULATES the experience of being inside a tank when the world is blowing up all around you. In many armor sims I have adopted a certain style of play--stay at long range, use cover, snipe the enemy until the enemy is gone, win the game. That's more difficult here, because I don't feel like I'm trying just to protect my own ass, I see tons of friendly infantry and armor moving forward to their objectives and they start getting wiped out by an enemy I can't see and I feel obligated to try to mitigate the carnage--I have to advance with them, which means I am constantly in danger. Very realistic, very challenging.

Why have I never heard of this game until now? This is the game I've been looking for since M1 Tank Platoon. It's been a long wait. Damn shame the CO. went bankrupt.

nodlew
Major

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 06:41:01 AM »

It turns out that the gun sights will not accept input from the number pad unless I have enabled Scroll Lock--which is the source of all my confusion regarding range adjustment of sights. Can't get the throttle to work--will require joystick software I think. I am having a small problem with my joystick in general (an ancient Saitek Cyborg Evo which I have literally rebuilt several times over the years). I have adjusted my dead zone. I had to use the Joystick drivers--the in-game dead zone sliders produce no results. But I am still having a slight rightward drift of my cross hairs when I am at the gunner's sights. Can't seem to eliminate the issue. It's a little bothersome. It's hard enough to target a moving tank hundreds of meters away without my turret moving without my input. Anyone else have this issue?
joea
Oberleutnant

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »

It turns out that the gun sights will not accept input from the number pad unless I have enabled Scroll Lock--which is the source of all my confusion regarding range adjustment of sights. Can't get the throttle to work--will require joystick software I think. I am having a small problem with my joystick in general (an ancient Saitek Cyborg Evo which I have literally rebuilt several times over the years). I have adjusted my dead zone. I had to use the Joystick drivers--the in-game dead zone sliders produce no results. But I am still having a slight rightward drift of my cross hairs when I am at the gunner's sights. Can't seem to eliminate the issue. It's a little bothersome. It's hard enough to target a moving tank hundreds of meters away without my turret moving without my input. Anyone else have this issue?

Yup exact same problem here.
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 11:38:34 AM »

Will someone help to find a reticle of gunsight TSh-19 for SU-100? I'd be pleased.

Provocative signature removed
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 06:11:32 PM »

Have you tried battlefield.ru? I tried googling it but got nothing that can help.I ll check on other forums.
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 09:55:12 AM »

Here is a gunsight "10t-15" for the spg SU-85, which installed on the early ones.
d/l.

Installation:
1. Install 10t-15_su-85_v1.0 by JSGME.exe
2. Into the file, block sights():
…\data\k42\loc_rus\levels\LEVELS\common\common_res.engcfg

add the line:
//SU-85
10t-15,10t-15b,10t-15a,,,cross,2,19,2.5,2.5,2,0,0,1,true,0xc0202020,0x60402020,0x20e0d080,5.4,false,3,-0.14,0,0.06,0.06,0,1.8,true,false,0,0,0;

Provocative signature removed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: