Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 10:36:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Gunnery Range--Practice Mission.  (Read 19905 times)
nodlew
Major

« on: October 15, 2010, 05:10:54 PM »

Mission Download Link:http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?t2u0e81v0v9298c

Here follows a copy of the ReadMe included with the mission download--it says it all...I think:

Installation: Drop this folder into the MODS folder in your installation of SF:K42
You must have Steel_Panzer mod 1.5 Beta installed for this mission to work.
After enabling via JSGME you must add a line to a file.
Navigate to
C:\Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942\data\k42\loc_rus\levels\LEVELS\camp

Use notepad to open "user_camp.engcfg"

At the bottom of the list paste in the following line:

Tank Gunnery Range, Tank Gunnery Range, 1, 0, back_t01.tga, txt_cit_01, 30, txt_hist_intro, hist_map_teach, levels\levels\cm_users\Tank Gunnery Range.level;

Save the file, and you should see the mission in your User Missions list.

Added instructions for people with no User Missions

Disregard the instructions above.

Additional Files--If you have never made a User Mission, you are missing some necessary files.
I have uploaded them to the following site:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?u5p4ttoiukkiewe
Download the rar and unzip it. Navigate to:

C:\Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942\data\k42\loc_rus\levels\LEVELS\camp

Place the two files there (not the folder they come in), and the mission should show up in your game under User Made Missions.

The user_camp.engcfg file has the Gunnery Range mission listed and you should see it under User Missions in the game. I hope this works. If not, let me know and I will identify the problem and correct the process.

Here is a very simple Gunnery Range mission. It includes armor (stationary, unmanned
Tiger I's--the only unmanned tanks available in the Editor), trucks, motorcycles, and
mounted infantry. The stationary targets are arrayed at ranges from 600 to over 2000 m.
Look around you will see them, at various facings. That cloud of dust you will see
approaching from the South--your left--is a column of trucks and motorcycles which will
move across your field of fire. They generally follow the road, but move somewhat
unpredictably-not a bad thing. Some of the trucks have mounted infantry which will
dismount if engaged, adding infantry to your target menu. You can engage at all normal
combat ranges and practice using AP, HE, and Shrapnel rounds.
There is no briefing text, as I have not yet learned to do that, but as I learn more, I will
probably make an improved version of the mission.

This mission is primarily for Soviet tanks as all the targets are of German type. I will
probably make a version for the German side. If you know how to use the editor at all,
you can easily make your tank a German one if you don't mind the idea of shooting your
own troops. Kinda rubs me the wrong way, even in a game. To change the type of tank
you are practicing in--(default is T-34) just use the editor to switch your commander to a
different tank, then change the T-34 to something different. I assume just about everyone
knows how to do this much. But if anyone has any questions, ask them here and I will
reply.

I think I've got everything right as far as the folder structure and the installation instructions. If there are any issues, please let me know. As a Gunnery Training mission it is pretty effective--I know it is improving my use of the Russian sights, especially my familiarity with different types of ammo for different types of targets.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:17:43 PM by nodlew » Logged
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 07:16:26 PM »

I don't see a user_camp.engcfg file in Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942\data\k42\loc_rus\levels\LEVELS\camp\.

I have:
camp_list.engcfg
main_camp.engcfg
prokho_camp.engcfg
and
prokhower_camp.engcfg.

I thought it might be camp_list.engcfg (sounds generic and non-specific enough), but the format of the "list" doesn't match what you're saying to paste in there... here's a sample of the last line in my camp_list.engcfg:

camp\prokhower_camp.engcfg, prokhower,       txt_cm_camp_Prokho1,         true, img_pz4;

So I'm gonna stop and ask for a clarification...

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
nodlew
Major

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 08:18:33 PM »

Well, hmmm. I sure have one, and I think that's where the line has to go. I just did a test, and yes, that is where the line goes in order to show up as a User Mission. And it has to be pasted, you can't just open the mission with the Editor and save it, which would be easier.

What you will have to do is make a User mission so you have the user_camp.engcfg file. Open the Mission Editor, click Cancel, choose a map, click Create, type in a name, then press the Editor button--the map will open. Place one Soviet contour anywhere on the map that is within the green grid and assign your default T-34 to that contour. Save the mission. I think that will give you a User mission list--and the engcfg file in question. Open the engcfg file and paste the line just after the data related to the mission you just created. That should do it, if not--I'll figure out something different. We could put it in Single Missions, for example.

Or I will upload my user_camp.engcfg file to mediafire--with just the Gunnery Range in it and you can just put that into your camp folder. In fact, I'll just do that any. Link to follow...wait, there's two of them, user_camp and user_camp_list. Anyway, I'll upload both of those files. That should work.

User_camp + User_camp_list engcfg files: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?u5p4ttoiukkiewe
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:31:11 PM by nodlew » Logged
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:59:42 PM »

Those player who never made their own mission seems not to have the user camp file.
Same goes for the weather one. Make sure to include it in your mod or some guys will see wiered looking skies.

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
nodlew
Major

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 08:45:26 AM »

Thanks Rend. The weather file, which one is that? I think I got everything. I did a search for the mission title and four files popped up. One levels file, and three script files. Those are the files I included in my zip of the mission.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 09:27:51 AM »

Have close look at my Prokhorovka campaign.
You find the weather file in the folder of the same name in the LEVELS folder.

nodlew
Major

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 11:21:43 AM »

Ok, I see it now. I'll have to re-zip the mission with the weather file--but won't that weather file be incompatible with the players' own weather files if they have them? Damn, making missions for this game is a little more clunky than I'm used to. I need to learn how to make a Pack file so people can just unpack the thing. Or maybe an executable installer. Never done that before, probably dirt simple.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:24:43 AM by nodlew » Logged
nodlew
Major

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »

What is really missing here is any kind of info about anything. Is that an inclusive enough statement for ya? As I learn to do things in the editor, I am going to make tutorials for it. That will document, for my own use the things I learn to do, and might prompt others who know more to share their information and break this Hellraiser Puzzle Box open once and for all for us Western Players. First tutorial coming soon. Don't expect video--I don't have a microphone. Pdf with lots of pictures.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 04:20:13 PM »

Yep that´s the same i´m currently doing right now. Learn it the hard way. There isn´t much more information out there.
So print out the Editor manual check stock maps and scripts ect...
About the weather file. Give it a different name and change the weather link entry in the mission name level file too.

nodlew
Major

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 06:26:11 PM »

Ok, I'll do that. Appreciate your help as always.

Trying to understand various aspects of the game has led me to do some more research, and I've learned some general things about...stuff. For instance, I couldn't figure out why my HE shells in the Russian tanks had a flatter trajectory than my AP rounds. Come to find out, the AP round in question (BR 350A) is Armor Piercing High Explosive, and they actually had a muzzle velocity which was about 25 meters p/s lower than the OF 350 High Explosive Fragmentation round. So the game is right on target, so to speak. That also explains why my Armor Piercing rounds keep exploding when they hit a bush. Solid shot, like APCR or the Matilda's solid shot AP ammo penetrates bushes and branches. Pretty neat.

Finally learned what Caliber (-bre, for you Europeans) means in relation to gun barrel length. Caliber expresses a relationship between the diameter of the gun's bore and it's length from breech to muzzle. For instance--the F-34 version of the Soviet 76.2mm gun (the improved version used in later model T-34's and in the KVI as the Zis 5 gun) was 42.5 calibers. 76.2 X 42.5 is 3238/1000=3.2 m long, or about 10 ft. The King Tiger's barrel at L/71 was 20 feet long. Interesting. An Iowa class battleship's 16 inch gun was around 50 calibers--or 66 and a half feet long. (!)

Even after repeated recourse to the manual, I'm still a little confused about which scale, Long Range-DG on the left or Old Grenade-SG on the Right, is the appropriate one to use. I'm beginning to think the instructions in the manual are backwards. The manual says to use the left scale for a Long Range Grenade (BR 350A/OF 350--the basic stock of ammo). However, the Left scale is for a weapon that has less velocity and hence a more parabolic, curved trajectory. The right scale is obviously for higher velocity ammo with a flatter trajectory. For example--if you set up the cross-hair for a 1000 meter shot by the Right scale, that equates to about an 800 meter shot on the Left scale. Now, obviously the ammo with the higher velocity has longer range and a flatter trajectory. So if you point the gun at a certain elevation, the ammunition with the higher velocity (given equal aerodynamic characteristics) will travel straighter farther before it begins to drop off, achieving greater distance. Right? I have shot at the same target on my Gunnery Range in a Tiger and in a T-34. The Tiger's sight is on target at 1200m--using the 8.8cm scale, which is the only one, and must be correct. The T-34's sight is likewise on target at 1200m using both AP and HE ammo (with slight variations explained earlier) when I use the Right scale--not the left one as indicated in the manual. Using the left scale, the range is less.

If anyone can enlighten me further, I'd appreciate it. If only I could read Cyrillic. Now that is a thought I never dreamed I would express.

I actually have not found in game any main gun ammunition at all that uses the Left scale of the sight. The machine gun works with it quite nicely however.

Ok, I renamed the weather file and included it at part of the Mission folder, now it will be enabled along with everything else via JSGME.

Anyway, this has been a very instructive process in itself.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:19:49 PM by nodlew » Logged
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 09:26:05 PM »

Those player who never made their own mission seems not to have the user camp file.
Same goes for the weather one. Make sure to include it in your mod or some guys will see wiered looking skies.

Can somebody send me a copy of BOTH of those files (user camp and weather)? Please send to: allendkrsn@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance.

I do seem to have a "corrected" weather file that fixes some odd sky graphics for Prokhorovka.... but I have no indication of any user_camp file. So, I'm at a disadvantage.

I tried adding that line to another one of the files, but no gunnery range mission shows up.

My Gaming Rig:
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
CH Pedals
nodlew
Major

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 12:01:54 AM »

Stig, I have sent you an e-mail with the files attached. I had uploaded everything to mediafire, but I guess you didn't see that I had at the top of the page. Take a look--top of this page. Anyway, you should have the files in your e-mail in-box.  Grin
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 06:44:39 AM »

I am surprised that so many people don't have the weather and user-camp files in their game.I have had them even before I downloaded or made user-made missions.It must be a recent bug because I had never heard that issue before Huh???

Somebody mentioned the Desert missions(Afrika mod) you must have the map Hill206 enabled and installed in the games files before you can play them.|once you go in your mission editor and check in new missions or the map editor it should appear last in the list of the games original maps( 18 of them).

Thanks for the gunnery practice mission good idea. I make my own with the mission editor which is simple really.Choose a map, create coloured zones for Germans and Soviets, measure the distance with the mobile ruler in the ME choose your tanks and the vehicles you want to use for target practice, the weather conditions if you wnat to and save and load and bingo you're in business!

BTW the new optic scale grader in 1.5 beat for the Tiger is nto as good as in the previous releases.

Re barrel length this si why the Panther with a L70 75 mm gun had more penetrating power than the mighty  Tiger I with it;s mere L56 barrel despites it's morepowerful 88 panzergranate 39...

BTW Nodlew it's calibre , centre, and colour pretty much everywhere people speak English not American Grin

Cheers

\frinik

nodlew
Major

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 10:50:19 AM »

I have not yet been able to get Hill 206 to work for me. For one thing, the datapack just wont unpack. I click it and it does nothing. Could be a bad download I guess.

Do people still speak English? I've heard of it. Thought it was dead, like Latin. Wasn't that the language some Sheakespeare guy wrote in, and they wrote the Bible in where people call each other Thee and Thou, and m'lady and m'lord and they're always having a cup of tea with crisps (which are apparently potato chips) and biscuits that aren't actually biscuits at all but rather what normal people call "crackers"?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:50:12 AM by nodlew » Logged
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 10:36:25 PM »

Heheheh, now, now nodlew.....

Anyways, I unpacked this and have a severe case of the "mistextured sky". My view through the sight in gunner view looked like the dead of night, so that was the first indication something was wrong. I went to external view and found everything discombobulated, texture-wise.

I'm *pretty sure* I unpacked the weather file properly... but I've installed the Prokorovka stuff, this one, and tried to install the Desert mod, all at the same time, so it's possible I just screwed the pooch on this.

Can someone post the path and the (edited) contents of the weather file for the gunnery range, so I can determine if I've got all the right files in all the right places? Thanks in advance.

My Gaming Rig:
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
CH Pedals
nodlew
Major

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 12:49:03 AM »

C:\Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942\data\k42\loc_rus\levels\LEVELS\weather\weather_GunneryRange.engcfg

I set the folder up so the weather file should have been installed by JSGME. Don't know what's going wrong here. Sorry you are having so much trouble. I myself have never had the "Sky Problem". I strongly suspect you need to just go ahead and make a User Mission, Stig. If you want to do so, there are some basic instructions for making a very basic User Mission atop this page. I'd be willing to expand if you need any other guidance. The contents of the weather file, if that's what you meant, are pasted below. I renamed this weather file to be specific to the Gunnery Range mission so that it would not have the potential to over-write the weather_user.engcfg file that people should normally have. Anyway, it's what Rend said to do.

contents of the weather file--

//GRAVITEAM engine weather editor v0.23
//îïèñàíèå ïîãîäû
weather()
{
   //íàçâàíèå, âðåìÿ öèêëà, íà÷àëüíàÿ ïîçèöèÿ, öèêëè÷íîñòü,
   //ñêîðîñòü ñìåíû ïîãîäû, çâóê äîæäÿ, êëþ÷è

clear, 480.00, 0.00, true, 0.00, rain0, day, clo, day_eve, eve, nig, mor, day;
   night, 2200.00, 0.00, false, 0.00, rain0, eve, nig;
   rain2day, 1400.00, 0.00, false, 0.00, rain0, clo, clo, day;
   rain2eve, 1200.00, 0.00, false, 0.00, rain0, clo, eve, eve;
} // end of weather

//êëþ÷è ïîãîäû
weather_keys()
{
   //Íàçâàíèå, Öâåò èñòî÷íèêà, Äèôóçíûé öâåò, Àìáèåíò, Ñïåêóëÿð, Îáùèé àìáèåíò, Óãîë ìåñòà, ãðàä, Àçèìóò, ãðàä
   //Ðàçìåð çàñâåòêè (ìèí), Ðàçìåð çàñâåòêè (ìàêñ), Ìàòåðèàë íåáà, Ëîêàëüíûå èñòî÷íèêè, Âëàæíîñòü,
   //Çâóê àìáèåíòà, òåìïåðàòóðà, ñêîðîñòü âåòðà ì/ñ, ïîðûâèñòîñòü âåòðà ñ, íàïðàâëåíèå âåòðà ãðàä,
   //Ïëîòíîñòü òóìàíà, öâåò òóìàíà, öâåò òóìàíà ïîä âîäîé, öâåò òóìàíà ïîä âîäîé íà ãëóáèíå
   //Öâåò äûìêè, ñòåïåíü äûìêè, ïëîòíîñòü äûìêè

//1.
   clo, 0x494949, 0x352828, 0x2d4242, 0x494949, 0x43433f, 60.00, 150.00, 0.30, 0.10, SKY_DAY_CLO0, false, 1.00, amb_day0, 20.00, 1.00, 5.00, 120.00, 0.95, 0x646f7b, 0xc3d8ef, 0x7d8c9e, 0x565f65, 0.00, 0.00;
   //2.
   day, 0xf7f7f2, 0x3a3a3a, 0x2a2a2a, 0xf7f7f2, 0xce111111, 50.00, 157.00, 0.37, 0.30, SKY_DAY_CLE0, false, 0.00, amb_day0, 20.00, 1.00, 5.00, 120.00, 0.10, 0xb8cadc, 0xc3d8ef, 0x7d8c9e, 0xacc2c4, 9.60, 0.44;
   //3.
   day_eve, 0xe6e3dd, 0x4d3a33, 0x4d4035, 0xe6e3dd, 0xac12120e, 50.00, 120.00, 0.37, 0.23, SKY_DAY_CLE1, false, 0.00, amb_day0, 20.00, 1.00, 5.00, 120.00, 0.10, 0xd0d1df, 0xc3d8ef, 0x7d8c9e, 0xb0a071, 6.00, 0.46;
   //4.
   eve, 0x6a4d3e, 0x26263e, 0x1f2836, 0x6a4d3e, 0x110e0f12, 60.00, 90.00, 0.50, 0.43, SKY_EVE_CLE1, true, 0.00, amb_day0, 20.00, 1.00, 5.00, 120.00, 0.23, 0x32323d, 0xc3d8ef, 0x7d8c9e, 0x312d44, 20.00, 0.82;
   //5.
   mor, 0x64819b, 0x211417, 0x382c3f, 0x64819b, 0x2e110f15, 50.00, -90.00, 0.50, 0.40, SKY_MOR_CLE1, false, 0.00, amb_day0, 20.00, 1.00, 5.00, 120.00, 0.24, 0x7a7ac2, 0xc3d8ef, 0x7d8c9e, 0x989bd1, 12.40, 0.48;
   //6.
   nig, 0x252412, 0x100c0c, 0x60909, 0x252412, 0x141623, 60.00, 0.00, 0.30, 0.50, SKY_NIG_CLE1, true, 0.00, amb_day0, 20.00, 1.00, 5.00, 120.00, 0.41, 0x1a1b26, 0xc3d8ef, 0x7d8c9e, 0x1a1c2d, 20.00, 0.80;
} // end of weather_keys

_vars() {}
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 05:47:49 AM »

Good point Nodlew (BTW I am neither British nor American so the debate about which variety of English predominates makes me smile...)It reminds me of an English joke about an American and an Englishman arguing about whether to call a new invention a lift or an elevator. The American said as a punch argument that it should be called an Elevator because ¨" Hell ! We invented the damned thing after all!".To which the Englishman retorted  " Sorry Old Boy but I vote for lift because we invented the damned language after all!". Grin

BTW biscuits are not crackers but cookies in British English.And crisp are chips because chips in the Uk-Australia, New Zealand- Ireland etc are the name for French fries.

On a more serious note the only way I got Map 206 in the game was to download the file, extract it then there are instructions in the read me text file on how to manually add the map into the mission editor.Mind you I did that over 18 months ago but if people are interested I´ll look it up in my game and post them here on the SUBSIM Radio Forum dedicated to Steel Fury?

Cheers Mate or is it Chum, Buddy or Pal?Huh?? Wink

Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 08:44:02 AM »

nodlew,
did you edited the level file too so it actualy reads the new weather file?
You find it in the levels/LEVELS/cm_users file.

Make sure the entry looks like

weather_file   = weather\weather_GunneryRange.engcfg;

nodlew
Major

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 04:23:32 PM »

Yep, sure did.

This  is copied from the level file:

weather_file   = weather\weather_GunneryRange.engcfg;

Regarding language--variety is the spice of life. There even a branch of philosophy which focuses on language called Semiotics and the core concept of this philosophical school is that the differences between things are the source of all possible meaning. So if there were not some differences between American and English we couldn't make jokes about it--meaning would be lost and both the language and the human tapestry as a whole would be impoverished as a result. Which is not to say that all differences are "good" from a practical, moral, or even a linguistic perspective. But none of this has anything to do with blowing things up.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:41:36 PM by nodlew » Logged
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 05:04:44 PM »

That sorted the graphics! Thanks.

Now if I can just figure out why I can't fire the gun. The MG fires with the enter key, but spacebar and left mouse button input do NOT fire the main gun. I recall that being an oddity from the last time I began trying to get into this sim, but figured it had to do with the way the tutorial mission was set up (where you had to eliminate ALL the infantry with the MG before you could move to the main gun range).

My Gaming Rig:
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
CH Pedals
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: