Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 10:04:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Desert Mod  (Read 33489 times)
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« on: October 16, 2010, 09:55:44 PM »

On the SimHQ site for SFK42, someone finally posted a link to get the Desert Mod. I downloaded it, placed all the files into the MODS/ directory. But the ReadMe says...

================= snip=================
NSU_desert_Mod_Beta1

Afrikakorps Mod for game "Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942"

1. copy in the created "MODS" folder all NSU_desert_Mod files necessary for modification of game.

2. Start a file sf_mod_packer_v07b_eng.exe and activate the desert Mod

=============== snip ===============================

What's that in instruction 2? There is no .exe with that name anywhere. I did take the step to open the Mods Installer and add it to the list. But, it doesn't show up like the Prokhorovka missions did.

Anyone have any input? Anybody successfully activated this?

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
nodlew
Major

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:21:48 AM »

I think you may need to unpack the file using the Mission Editor. I can't download the file right now--there are restrictions on my bandwidth until 2am, I'll download it then. But if you open the Mission Editor, then click cancel you will see a button to the right labeled Unpack. Click that then you should be able to browse the the datapack file that came with the mission, choose it, and unpack it. That should enable the mission so you can play it. You know where to find the Mission Editor, right? Start, Programs/ Steel Fury/ Editors and Utilities/Mission Editor.

Like I said, I'll download it later and try it myself.
nodlew
Major

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 11:16:58 AM »

Mod Packer is a utility that packs mods into an executable form so they can be installed into the game. I found it here: http://off.tanksim.org.ru/wfdownloads-singlefile.lid-40.htm

The download link at the top didn't work for me--I downloaded the version at this link: http://off.tanksim.org.ru/files/tools/sf_mod_packer_v08b_eng.zip--seems to work, though I haven't figured out how to use it yet.

Will update.

Haven't figured it out yet. There are two problems working against us--1) The language barrier, and 2) The fact that people give fragmentary and misleading instructions on how to do things.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:47:24 AM by nodlew » Logged
nodlew
Major

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »

Now I am reaching a point of overload.  Huh? Data Packs, and Data Packers, and weather files, and polypacks and no where anywhere can I find any straight-forward explanations of anything. This game strikes me as pretty simple to mod--especially in terms of the Mission Editor. Might have to just take a break here and recharge.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:29:01 PM »

Now I am reaching a point of overload.  Huh? Data Packs, and Data Packers, and weather files, and polypacks and no where anywhere can I find any straight-forward explanations of anything. This game strikes me as pretty simple to mod--especially in terms of the Mission Editor. Might have to just take a break here and recharge.
Datapacks are simple the in one file compressed game files.
The game isn´t that hard to understand. The lack of information available makes it a bit harder to mod than a well documented game.
One more problem is that most mod guys are still russian and some/most? of them didn´t even speak english.

Back to modding:
have you ever downloaded my first mission from my website? If not you should. There you can check what files are needed to make a map/mission public. If you make missions on existing terrains you don´t even need the files in the envs folders (envs=environments).
So check the files and folders you find in the levels directory. That´s the stuff for missions. Open the engcfg files with notepad and try to understand how the files work. It´s not done in 5 minutes but in a week. Than you should be able to create awsome missions Smiley

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
nodlew
Major

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 02:18:29 PM »

Thank you, Rend.

Yes, I have downloaded your first mission, and played it and enjoyed it very much. And in fact, the instant before I logged in here to check on things I was doing exactly as you recommend. I have the mission open in the editor and have been minutely examining it, seeing what units have what scripts which correspond to what contours and I think I am getting a handle on it. Apparently--the way the victory triggers are set up, to win I just have to survive long enough to occupy that contour at the crossroads, right? And occupying it triggers victory, which triggers a little victory music. Is there a wait-time to occupy the contour for victory?

I see it is possible to set up other victory conditions, like General Superiority of the Allies in a contour. What does General Superiority mean? What if I have a mission with one Tiger tank assaulting a village full of Russian AT guns and infantry. Wouldn't the Russians have General Superiority by default?

I'm very thankful for your help here. I know I need to work at this for some time and playtest the different possibilities.

Hooray! Or, for you stuffy 19th century types, Hurrah! I set up victory conditions that worked. All I had to do was drive my tank into the contour, mission accomplished. Now we're getting somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:16:07 PM by nodlew » Logged
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 03:24:38 PM »

Well i havn´t got the trigger"General Superiority of the Allies" working yet. I´m not sure if it even works. If i create one the trigger will be active right from the beginning of the mission regardless if i set allies/opponent and germans or russians. But i havn´t made enough tests yet to declare it usefull or useless.

nodlew
Major

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 04:04:12 PM »

Also the Logic trigger looks interesting--a way to build in mission events that are more complex being dependent upon several variables. Is there a way to link triggers and scripts? So, for example, if the Allies occupy a certain contour, that triggers a script causing, say, a counter-attack. So far I haven't seen a way to explicitly connect triggers and scripts, although you can, for instance script a movement of a division that inevitably enables a trigger.

Ok, I see it--Wait for trigger.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 04:09:12 PM by nodlew » Logged
nodlew
Major

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 04:50:44 PM »

Sorry we got so off topic here Stig--but I did try to figure out the thing with the Data Packer. I'll start a new thread dedicated to Mission Building and from here on out my struggles with the editor will be recorded there.
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 10:32:26 PM »

No need to apologize.... I'm not one of those people who scream "hijack" when a thread takes a turn or evolves in a different direction. It's just more discussion, and that's a good thing.

My Gaming Rig:
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
CH Pedals
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 08:52:58 PM »

More on just getting the Desert Mod enabled...

Noticed this the first time, but clicked through it. When I opened the JGME and moved the NSU Desert Mod into the installed window, I got a popup window with this in it:

"objs_ghelmet_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"objs_gcap_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"objs_rhelmet_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"objs_mauser98k_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"obump_mauser98k_bump_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"DAK_01.tga" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"human_gart_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"human_ginf_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"human_goff_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"human_gspg_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"hbump_gtank_bump_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"human_gtank_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"human_rinf_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"human_roff_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"human_rtank_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"techn_sdkfz2501_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"techn_sdkfz251c_10_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"techn_sdkfz251c_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"tbump_flak36_bump_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"techn_flak36_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"tbump_pak38_bump_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"tbump_pak40_bump_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"techn_pak38_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.
"techn_pak40_c.dds" has already been altered by the "Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta" mod.

You can proceed with a Yes response.... but I'm wondering if this has any bearing on the mod being "visible"?

Also, I've done this process and still no joy in the Missions & Campaigns section...

nodlew wrote:

I think you may need to unpack the file using the Mission Editor.

I'm not seeing anything like a "Mission Editor" in my SFK42 folder. Haven't gotten to grips with the game yet, so haven't ventured into authoring missions. Can you be more specific with this comment?

I used 7-zip to unpack the file originally. With that, I can see all the files inside an archive (of almost any type) and decide how to distribute them.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 09:01:16 PM by Stig » Logged

My Gaming Rig:
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
CH Pedals
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »

Stig the mission editor can be found in the (windowsxp) startmenu->all programs->lighthouse interactive->Steel Fury...

Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 10:49:04 PM »

Ah, thanks.... I usually never have to go into the Start Menu to find .exes. Smiley

My Gaming Rig:
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
CH Pedals
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 01:11:30 AM »

I think you may need to unpack the file using the Mission Editor. I can't download the file right now--there are restrictions on my bandwidth until 2am, I'll download it then. But if you open the Mission Editor, then click cancel you will see a button to the right labeled Unpack. Click that then you should be able to browse the the datapack file that came with the mission, choose it, and unpack it. That should enable the mission so you can play it. You know where to find the Mission Editor, right? Start, Programs/ Steel Fury/ Editors and Utilities/Mission Editor.

Like I said, I'll download it later and try it myself.

Ugh. Quite simply, this just didn't work at all. I found the original thread on this mod at SimHQ and downloaded the file, and unzipped it, tried to run it and I get this, completely unreadable dialog.

WTF am I supposed to do with this? How can I make any intelligent choice among all these buttons when I can't even read 'em?Huh?

Just fumbling around with this a bit, I managed to get some DOS dialog box and it unpacked a file structure for me with an .exe bearing the name of the mod, but when I click this, it opens a copy of the JGSME, only with NOTHING in it.

And, I also tried simply re-downloading the Desert Mod and reinstalling. As before, I can find and load it in the (original) JGSME, but nothing appears in the menus when I launch the game.

I suppose I should go back to the original question: has ANYONE gotten this mod to work, or any desert missions to appear in the game menu?

My Gaming Rig:
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
CH Pedals
nodlew
Major

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 02:32:02 AM »

Yeah, I tried the same process essentially that you have just tried. I couldn't figure out how the Data Packer works, but I guess I didn't try very hard because I'm more interested in learning how to use the mission and map editors right now. So, on my end, the answer to your question is no, haven't been able to get it to work yet. I think there's another version of the Data Packer that is in English--the one I downloaded: http://off.tanksim.org.ru/files/tools/sf_mod_packer_v08b_eng.zip If nothing else, the mod packer should come in handy in the future for making mods easy to install--no more editing the user_camp.engcfg file, that is, once we know how to use it.
O_Smiladon
Hauptmann

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 02:34:54 AM »

Thats exactly what i got for the SPM1.5 D/L ..  Makes me wounder, It might be a corrupt file that we have D/Loaded. And thats most likely why my SPM1.5 only stays in Russian txt..

O_Smiladon
nodlew
Major

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 03:05:47 AM »

Smiladon,

You've got the SPM 1.5 Beta English Patch installed don't you? And you should also have the Unofficial_Patch_SF v0.1_eng installed after that.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 03:12:50 AM by nodlew » Logged
O_Smiladon
Hauptmann

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 03:25:02 AM »

Hay Nodlew,

I was not awere that there was two types of the 1.5 patch.   The one that I do have is in my jgsme first and then the Unofficial_Patch_SF v0.1_eng and still I get the russian txt..

I have taken the SPM1.5 out and u am just running the Unofficial_Patch_SF v0.1_eng at the mo hoping for a fix for my delema.

O_Smiladon

nodlew
Major

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 04:04:18 AM »

You should have at least three files for the SPM 1.5 Beta--english version.
The first is the Mod itself: Steel_Panzer_Mod_v1.5_beta
The second file, enabled right after the mod is the English patch: SPM_V1.5_beta_English-patch
After that, in addition to whatever other mods you might have enabled, you should have the Unofficial Patch enabled:
Unofficial_patch_SF_v0.1_eng

nodlew
Major

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 04:08:56 AM »

That might not get rid of all the Russian, but most of it I think. Your menu and everything should be in English, and most of the mission briefings, etc.
I always install the Unofficial Patch last.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: