Graviteam
April 18, 2024, 09:55:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Periscope is Auxiliary Sight  (Read 4084 times)
nodlew
Major

« on: October 22, 2010, 06:33:34 PM »

In the tanks that have periscopes at the gunner's position, you can use the periscope as an auxiliary sight. Hit O to slave the scope to the gun, then adjust the cross-hairs. The range scale doesn't work, but it's a helluva lot better than trying to complete a mission looking through a damaged gun sight--and my sights get damaged seems like every time I take a hit, which I hate. I don't think it's realistic either. Using the scope as an auxiliary sight probably isn't realistic either, but realism, in this case, be damned. I don't think the periscope sights get damaged very often either. Not possible, of course, in the German tanks which only have vision blocks.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 02:13:26 AM »

Nodlew bull's eyes! You just hit one of my 2 gripes; the gunsights get dama
nodlew
Major

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 05:44:35 AM »

Actually, it works better than I thought. I just tried it in a JS2 on my Gunnery Range, and the periscopes range scale was right on target. Gonna try the other tanks--T-34, various models, KV1, and the SU's that have working periscopes. They might All work. Wouldn't that be nice. Hell, the periscope might become my default sight.

After further testing--any tank that has a periscope at the gunner's position, the periscope works great as a gun-sight. Range scale is correct for all the tanks: t-34 mod '41, t-34 mod '43, JS2, KV1, and KV2 (although the KV2 seems to have a maximum main gun range of about 1800 m, but up to that range, periscope is accurate as a sight). None of the self-propelled guns have periscopes at the gunner's position, so doesn't work. Neither does the t-34/85--although it is possible to fire the gun from the commander's position looking through the vision block type periscope. The vertical line aims the gun very accurately horizontally, and the elevation of the gun can be corrected on target like artillery. I was getting hits on the gun range at 1200 m on stationary tank-sized targets within three rounds. So, in a pinch you could do that. For a target within 500 m, just point straight and shoot.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 07:09:04 AM by nodlew » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: