Graviteam
March 19, 2024, 09:42:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: ME question  (Read 187222 times)
hemisent
Oberst

« on: May 09, 2011, 10:32:07 PM »

After going thru FW's guide I'm now into the editor following his instructions. So far I've gotten up to the point of assigning contours and copying the initial T34 tank. On pg 20 the guide directs you to copy the tank and assign it as the players unit.

My problem is that in my ME the right hand screen seems to be cut off short at the very bottom. My screen stops just below the sliders for "morals %" and "experience %" There does appear to be the very top of "chance of occurence" panel but only the top outline is there. The entire screen needs to be expanded downward but I cannot figure out how. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks guys
H
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 01:35:49 AM »

Hi,

You'll have to left-click & drag the side panel upwards, to see the rest of it  Smiley

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:10:27 PM »

What can I say....Thanks Kyth.

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »

Hemi just a few tips from one ex noobie to another to avoid mishaps due to inexperiecne s happened to me early on:

1) Don't forget to save your mission before loading it otherwise you'll lose everything you have created

2) careful not to click on reload instead of load otherwise same thing you just erased your mission!

3) when you decide to set a certain weather into your mission click on the small white arrow on blue background so the weather settings you desire to keep remain what they are.In my experience just saving it through the save function is not always a guarantee of success.

4) when assigning tanks using the division tab set the morals and experience factors to 100% .This will ensure better behaviour and responsiveness of the AI.

5) you can assign the spped you want the AI to move in your mission.Click on the Mission tab on the left side of the Mission Editor screen and one of the options is Speed.Set the AI speed at very slow to avoid a rush of the tanks at the beginnign with resulting flipped over tanks and a melee of tanks crawling over one another.

Luck!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:48:37 PM by frinik » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »

4) when assigning tanks using the division tab set the morals and experience factors to 100% .This will ensure better behaviour and responsiveness of the AI.

A matter of preference, actually.  Wink
The experience settings should reflect the level of expertise you want to represent in each unit, and they can go a long way in 'balancing' the mission.
As for the morals setting (morale  Huh?), this affects how soon the unit reaches breaking point, as they take casualties.

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 03:24:31 PM »

I agree it's purely personal but my experience using various settings seems ot have shown better behaviour and agressiveness /responsiveness from the AI.May be subjective though Huh?
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:00:28 PM »

Thanks to Frinik and Kyth
 Obviously I've got a lot to learn but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. One of my biggest problems and the reason I like the FW written tutorial so much is that I have about 60% hearing loss with a lot of ringing (tinitis). A gift left over from my time in the Marine Corps. I don't hear certain sounds or frequencies equally.

Anyway, I'm off to the ME to see what else I can bug the two of you with. Grin

Cheers All!

H
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:56:46 PM »

First test mission actually worked-pretty much a clone of the FW example except I added one addl zone and all worked out.

How do I set/change the orientation of the units/divisions in the editor. Right now I have my 3 tanks in zone one placed on a road. They are all heading in the opposite direction at mission start. I need to be able to orient them in the correct direction. I'm going through the video tutorials but i must be verklempt or something.

Thanks Guys

H
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 01:27:26 AM »

Here's how I do it:

Select the contour where they're positioned,

spin the map to face the direction you want,

then click the icon that looks like a 'right-turn' sign (arrow in a yellow diamond).
It's in the tool-bar along the top of the screen.

This will orientate all the countour points in the direction you're viewing.
Units will be positioned following the facing of their contour's points.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:40:15 AM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 03:03:37 AM »

Thanks Kyth, I'll go check that out.

H
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 03:08:32 AM »

Forgot to mention, you'll have to save the changes and reload the mission,  Embarrassed

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 05:57:23 AM »

Hey Hemi looking forward to testing your first mission or should I say Hemission Grin

BTW I also have tinitis( whistling sound in the ear) result of an ear infection.

Cheers  BTW Hemi if you assign a set zone(using the movement option)  where you want your tanks to go to they will automatically turn around and head for that area....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:50:22 AM by frinik » Logged
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »

Thanks guys
  Right now all is working out although rather slowly. I need to get my head around movement scripts and the vids unfortunately show what the author does but are accomplished too fast and without a lot of understandable explanation, still they are very helpful.

More Huh? to follow I'm sure

H
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »

New ME questions guys.

So far I've played the test mission a few times and after quite a bit of basic refining I'm getting a little happier with the outcome. The enemy(Russian) forces are pretty much doing what I want. It's my unit I'm working with now.

I'm trying to get my 3 tank unit to follow along a road (in line formation)to a given area and set
up a defense position in trees 3 tanks abreast. I've got the outlines set and I set the operations to "defense" but upon running the mission in the ME, my tanks go everywhere but the desired location. Do I need to set the operation to "movement" first to get them to the site? If so how do I have them take the defensive posture on site in the trees. Does that call for a second outline on top of the first?

Also, how do I go about placing the different symbols when in map view, such as "defensive line" and the colored arrows showing lines of advance.

I know there were a few threads dealing with including text. Mission orders and description, messages, instructions, etc at start up and during the course of the mission. I've looked but cannot come up with them.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:22:15 PM by hemisent » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 12:45:58 AM »

I'm trying to get my 3 tank unit to follow along a road (in line formation)to a given area and set
up a defense position in trees 3 tanks abreast. I've got the outlines set and I set the operations to "defense" but upon running the mission in the ME, my tanks go everywhere but the desired location. Do I need to set the operation to "movement" first to get them to the site? If so how do I have them take the defensive posture on site in the trees. Does that call for a second outline on top of the first?

May I have a look at the script for the unit? It's in the <mission name>_scripts.engscr file.

I'll reproduce some of my earlier instructions here:

If your tanks aren't dug-in, and they're on the move, you'll want to prepare some 'defensive contours' for them, single-point ones, at their destination:

Those 3 contours are grouped into a position, simply called 'hill', in the mission editor.

Viewed in the script file, they're listed as:

cs_positions()
{

ext, add_trench, 1, def1, -1, 1, hill;
   ext, add_trench, 1, def3, -1, 1, hill;
   ext, add_trench, 1, def2, -1, 1, hill;
}

(the format for each line is ext, add_trench, type ( 0 = infantry 1=vehicle ), contour name, number of positions (-1 = autocalculate), type (again!), defense position name)

To restrict each contour to one vehicle only, edit the block:

cs_positions()
{

ext, add_trench, 1, def1, 1, 1, hill;
   ext, add_trench, 1, def3, 1, 1, hill;
   ext, add_trench, 1, def2, 1, 1, hill;
}

To use the defensive position, the script for the tank unit has to look like this:

ext, ai_move, germove2_02b, false, -1, 15;
   ext, ai_defence, hill, 15, 150;

Also, how do I go about placing the different symbols when in map view, such as "defensive line" and the colored arrows showing lines of advance.

There's quite a lengthy section in the 'Editor Manual' about placing map objects (page 54 - 61).
Basically, you need to place a single-point contour on the map, and link it to a 'map sprite' in the script file using the 'add_mo' command, with all the related options.

I know there were a few threads dealing with including text. Mission orders and description, messages, instructions, etc at start up and during the course of the mission. I've looked but cannot come up with them.

The threads are here:

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=528.0

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=3679.0

It's a good idea to look at the Editor Manual to get an overall understanding about editing the Mission Script and Map.
These are done using a text editor. Once you get an idea how they're supposed to fit together, it's as easy as copying and pasting the lines, with a few minor changes.
You just have to know which lines to copy and edit, so get the Editor Manual and start reading.  Smiley

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:04:00 AM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 01:36:00 AM »

I second Kyth!

That's why we not only have Grammar teachers but also dictionaries Grin

In addition to reading the manual one thing I did and still do is to open some of the stock missions or Kyth's excellent ones in the ME and take a look at the scripts.You can always copy them once you have identified moves or tactics you'd like to emulate.It's like a good complement to any tutorials or manual.
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 04:25:50 PM »

Still trying to come to grips with the script files as they aren't making much sense to me yet. Have gone through the manual repeatedly but...not comprehending much of what is there so far.

In one of the later Fabienfreds videos he makes reference to correctly placing an AT gun and he use the ctl+F5 key ( I think, hard to make out with the noises) to go to 3d view in the map. I've tried this, gone through the manual but cannot find any reference to the 3d view. How exactly do I get to the 3d view. I've been able to place my units but only after much trial and error to make sure they are in visual range of the approaching enemy.

I'm reading the previous threads supplied by Kyth(thank you sooo much, these are really helpful) and I just found the short tutorial made by Rends, great stuff, again thanks Kyth. I guess I'm at the stage where Nodlew was. I'm able to put together a basic mission with multiple units advancing and various units in place.

Thanks guys.

Cheers!
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 04:38:43 PM »

I think he's referring to the "Right-Ctrl 5" key command, which toggles between bird's eyeview and worm's eyeview.

It might be easier to use the mouse-wheel to zoom up and down; Right-Ctrl-8 and Right-Ctrl-2 to tilt up and down.

Don't worry, practice makes perfect.  Grin

"Yes."
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »

Thanks Kyth
 I'm also stuck on checkpoints. Trying to get my unit to follow a road to a given destination. I stumbled upon what looked like a "road/checkpoint" set of icons that came up on the toolbar but cannot duplicate it and cannot find anything but referencing to "among the road" in the manual. No clue as to how to accomplish this.

H
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 01:46:22 AM »

Thanks Kyth
 I'm also stuck on checkpoints. Trying to get my unit to follow a road to a given destination. I stumbled upon what looked like a "road/checkpoint" set of icons that came up on the toolbar but cannot duplicate it and cannot find anything but referencing to "among the road" in the manual. No clue as to how to accomplish this.

H

It's further down on the 'Scripts' side bar. You'll have to select the 'mode of movement' script command to open up this option:

I would recommend to explore everything available in the side-bars; there are quite a lot of things not mentioned in the manual  Smiley

"Yes."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: