Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 11:31:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: ME question  (Read 187275 times)
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2011, 01:28:41 AM »

1. My infantry units are placed in trenches facing their correct direction. As soon as firing starts they all get up and go running around instead of staying in the trenches. How do I keep the infantry in the trenches?

You'll have to select the 'stay in trench' option in the divisions tab. The icon with the blue 'down arrow'.

Initially I had the outline as a single line with multiple points placed exactly on/over the trench position (open ended) and I have the "Stay in trench" button activated. The mission starts (in the ME---very cool) and the infantry begin in the trench and jumps up and they all take off. I then reconfigured the contour to encompass the trench area and closed the contour, now the infantry starts in the general area but still takes off.  This is happening upon mission start when there is no threat.

I've had good results with assigning the 'dummy' script to infantry units, so they don't have a mind to go traipsing off unexpectedly  Smiley No orders, just have the 'stay in trench' option activated.

Also, check out the 'morale' value given to the unit - 100% should be the default.

Don't close off the trench contour, it's better to leave it open-ended.

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2011, 01:30:38 AM »

frinik.
Please post your Script file of the mission. Maybe there is something wrong.

Agreed, Frinik, if you send your datapack, I could give it a try,

"Yes."
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2011, 12:23:58 PM »

Kyth

Thanks, I'll try the dummy script. Everything else is as you describe and they continue to run off in all directions. Per your and Frinik's advice I have the moral/experience set at 100%. In this case that makes no difference tho. Will have another go after work today.

Getting close, after this I tackle in game messages-boy, that ought to be fun Undecided

Cheers
H
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2011, 03:13:27 PM »

Kyth

Thanks, I'll try the dummy script. Everything else is as you describe and they continue to run off in all directions. Per your and Frinik's advice I have the moral/experience set at 100%. In this case that makes no difference tho. Will have another go after work today.

Getting close, after this I tackle in game messages-boy, that ought to be fun Undecided

Cheers
H

You don't have to set the experience level to 100%, unless they're meant to be elite  Smiley It's defaulted at 20%.

"Yes."
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #164 on: June 22, 2011, 03:14:38 AM »

Ok, the dummy script worked for my dummy AI infantry. Now they all stay pretty much where I put them.  Which leads me to ask what situation would the "defense" scenario be used? Is it only good for vehicles?

Kyth, I figured out that the 100% moral/experience level is elite but, being new at this I want to see what my AI is doing while on their best behavior. I'll tone it down later to achieve some sort of balance once the mission is completed.

Anyway, I'm thinking that the next big hurdle is in game messages. I know that a message is set up with a trigger but even looking at Kyth's single missions I'm confused. If something happens then a message text is generated. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Right now it's back to reading old threads.

Thanks all
H
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2011, 03:28:53 AM »

Ok, the dummy script worked for my dummy AI infantry. Now they all stay pretty much where I put them.  Which leads me to ask what situation would the "defense" scenario be used? Is it only good for vehicles?

'Defense' is good if the units were moving in from somewhere else, and you want them to take up positions at the objective.

Anyway, I'm thinking that the next big hurdle is in game messages. I know that a message is set up with a trigger but even looking at Kyth's single missions I'm confused. If something happens then a message text is generated. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Right now it's back to reading old threads.

It might be easier to take a look at the stock missions, which are less complex. A good example would be 'Gusarovka' in the stock Panzer IV campaign,

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »

Hemi the defence scenario is ideal for entrenched infantry , artillery and AT gun crews, Panzersschreck teams and any tank/SPG you want to stay concealed in an stationary/defensive position rather than move and face the attacking force.

Unfortunately, the ambush script does not really allow your units to keep a defensive stance and spring on the enemy at the last moment as I would have expected.
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #167 on: June 22, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »

Thanks guys
 I'll look at the mission you suggested Kyth and see how it is structured.

H
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #168 on: June 22, 2011, 08:18:31 PM »

Ok, back to the in game messages. I found an even simpler example in a mission by Rends----Rends1 is how it dl'd.

I pretty much duplicated his efforts plugging them into a simple test mission using enemy trucks. My question is; While playing through the mission in the ME autoplay will the text/message actually show up?
How do you know if it's working?

Right now nothing shows at the proscribed point in the mission. I don't know if I screwed up or do texts only become visible in the actual mission. I hate to think that one would have to play through a mission in real time to find errors.

Thanks all

H
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:43 PM »

No. The text doesn´t show up in the ME. But you can hear this bell sound while in ME. It´s the same you hear in game when something shows up in the top text window.
To make sure that everything works you need to play the mission in game.

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #170 on: June 22, 2011, 11:05:03 PM »

Thanks Rends
  I was hoping that wasn't the case but... I'll listen for the sound, at least that"s an indication.

H
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2011, 02:05:43 AM »

How do you know if it's working?

Right now nothing shows at the proscribed point in the mission. I don't know if I screwed up or do texts only become visible in the actual mission.

Those messages should only show up in the actual player's screens. You will get an occasional bell-ring in the Mission Editor, whenever a trigger goes off.

I hate to think that one would have to play through a mission in real time to find errors.

Now, don't let that discourage you; take that as an incentive to build an enjoyable mission, something you wouldn't mind playing repeatedly  Grin

Seriously, there's a hotkey to speed up the in-game time (up to 2x).  Just assign your player tank a suitable script in the Mission Editor, fire up the mission, enjoy the ride and check things out. Usually I'd do the on-screen messages after all the basic things are satisfactory: Force balance, scripting and play balance.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:20:06 AM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #172 on: June 27, 2011, 03:21:22 AM »

Hey Guys
 After a week of getting jammed up with my work I'm finally back into the ME. I've gotten basic in game messages and basic shelling to work in a test mission but I have a question about the messages.

In one of Kyth's missions there are five different "message_1" lines. How can five different messages all set to work at different times in the mission be under the same name "message_1"? Also, they are in the cs_radio() block. Then there are additional cs_radio blocks 2, 3 etc. I'm confused.

Also, what is the significance of the two numbers in red?

cs_radio()
{

nop;
   wait_time, 5;
   ext, add_text, txt_mi_mymission1_message_1, 0xff000080, 20, 0;
   ext, wait_tr, Movetoblock;
   ext, add_text, txt_mi_mymission1_message_1, 0xff000080, 25, 1;
   ext, wait_tr, Blocking;
   wait_time, 30;
   ext, add_text, txt_mi_mymission1_message_1, 0xff000080, 25, 2;
   wait_time, 60;
   ext, add_text, txt_mi_mymission1_message_1, 0xff000080, 25, 3;
   wait_time, 30;
   ext, add_text, txt_mi_mymission1_message_1, 0xff000080, 25, 4;
}
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #173 on: June 27, 2011, 03:40:00 AM »

In one of Kyth's missions there are five different "message_1" lines. How can five different messages all set to work at different times in the mission be under the same name "message_1"? Also, they are in the cs_radio() block. Then there are additional cs_radio blocks 2, 3 etc. I'm confused.

Also, what is the significance of the two numbers in red?

cs_radio()
{

nop;
   wait_time, 5;
   ext, add_text, txt_mi_mymission1_message_1, 0xff000080, 20, 0;
   ext, wait_tr, Movetoblock;
   ext, add_text, txt_mi_mymission1_message_1, 0xff000080, 25, 1;
   ext, wait_tr, Blocking;
   wait_time, 30;
   ext, add_text, txt_mi_mymission1_message_1, 0xff000080, 25, 2;
   wait_time, 60;
   ext, add_text, txt_mi_mymission1_message_1, 0xff000080, 25, 3;
   wait_time, 30;
   ext, add_text, txt_mi_mymission1_message_1, 0xff000080, 25, 4;
}

Hi,

txt_mi_mymission1_message_1 is a 'string array'. You can have multiple messages in that array, as long as they're separated with ' ; '

The 2 numbers are display time (seconds), and the sequence in the string array (starts from zero onwards).

As you can see in the 'cs_radio()' block, the messages are in sequence, i.e. message 4 comes only after message 3 is displayed, which is only after message 2, and so on.
The other cs_radio2() and cs_radio3() are to bypass this dependency, they're like parallel tracks. So other messages can get triggered off, outside of the original cs_radio() sequence of events.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:54:08 AM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #174 on: June 27, 2011, 12:38:05 PM »

Thanks Kyth
 As always that helps a lot.

Is there any way to get a random message like if a trigger activates "message1" but message1 may be one of three or four different messages that are available to play?

Cheers!
H
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #175 on: June 27, 2011, 12:45:02 PM »

Thanks Kyth
 As always that helps a lot.

Is there any way to get a random message like if a trigger activates "message1" but message1 may be one of three or four different messages that are available to play?

Cheers!
H

I don't think there's a way to randomize messages like that.
On the other hand, it's possible to randomize division scripts that would trip off different sets of triggers,

"Yes."
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #176 on: June 29, 2011, 11:30:45 PM »

Hey guys

I know there is a way to have a particular division show up a given percentage of the time, this is a great function for repeated game play. I'd like to know if there is a way to have a shelling/barrage be randomized.

Right now I have my group of tanks entering a given area, they hit a trigger and like clockwork the artillery starts landing. Is there a way to either have the shelling script randomized, the shelling unit itself or perhaps make the actual trigger active only a certain percentage of the time.

Also, I have given my unit of three Tigers the task of reenforcing a village. They have the option of taking one of two routes (roads). I have the enemy attack starting when my unit enters a given contour.

rus_adv_north()
{
   ext, wait_tr, trigger01;
   ext, ai_move, rus_wp_north01, false, -1, 15;
   ext, ai_setstate, 0, 0x8;
   ext, ai_move, village, false, -1, 8;
}

This works perfectly when my unit takes the primary road, but what if they take the alternate? Do I need to write/copy the entire script or is there a way to add the alternate trigger line...sort of like this:

rus_adv_north()
{
   ext, wait_tr, trigger01;or ext, wait_tr, trigger02;
}

How do I make the "or" work?

The first mission is nearing completion, just fine tuning now. Taking Kyth's suggestion I'll work on completing the radio messages at the end.

Thanks
H
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #177 on: June 30, 2011, 01:44:31 AM »

Hey guys

I know there is a way to have a particular division show up a given percentage of the time, this is a great function for repeated game play. I'd like to know if there is a way to have a shelling/barrage be randomized.

Right now I have my group of tanks entering a given area, they hit a trigger and like clockwork the artillery starts landing. Is there a way to either have the shelling script randomized, the shelling unit itself or perhaps make the actual trigger active only a certain percentage of the time.

You could have the barrage tied in with a randomly occuring unit, could be something minor like a truck or a kubelwagen. See below on the 'Logic' trigger to combine different conditions into one trigger:

Also, I have given my unit of three Tigers the task of reenforcing a village. They have the option of taking one of two routes (roads). I have the enemy attack starting when my unit enters a given contour.

rus_adv_north()
{
   ext, wait_tr, trigger01;
}

This works perfectly when my unit takes the primary road, but what if they take the alternate? Do I need to write/copy the entire script or is there a way to add the alternate trigger line...sort of like this:

rus_adv_north()
{
   ext, wait_tr, trigger01;or ext, wait_tr, trigger02;
}

How do I make the "or" work?

The first mission is nearing completion, just fine tuning now. Taking Kyth's suggestion I'll work on completing the radio messages at the end.

Thanks
H

You'll have to use a 'Logic' trigger in this case, to combine different conditions into one overall 'tripwire'.

The Boolean operators for this trigger are:

| (OR)
& (AND)
! (NOT)
^ (exclusive OR)

In the case above, since there are 2 possibilities, trigger01 and trigger02, the logic trigger (lets name it "anyoldway") would be set like this: trigger01 | trigger02

The script above would look like:

rus_adv_north()
{
   ext, wait_tr, anyoldway;
}

"Yes."
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #178 on: June 30, 2011, 03:14:57 AM »

Kyth

You're a genius!
  So, just so I get this straight. Change the trigger from an "object in a contour" as it is now to a "logic" trigger and make it look like this

rus_adv_north()
{
   ext, wait_tr, trigger01 | trigger02
}

Thank you

PS. Actually, once I got a little further ahead I was going to inquire about the various triggers. I've read the threads pertaining to certain triggers but I still have questions.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2011, 03:21:18 AM »

Kyth

You're a genius!
  So, just so I get this straight. Change the trigger from an "object in a contour" as it is now to a "logic" trigger and make it look like this

rus_adv_north()
{
   ext, wait_tr, trigger01 | trigger02
}

Thank you

PS. Actually, once I got a little further ahead I was going to inquire about the various triggers. I've read the threads pertaining to certain triggers but I still have questions.

Well, actually, no,  Tongue

You have the set the 'Logic' trigger to encompass the two "object in contour" triggers.

rus_adv_north()
{
   ext, wait_tr, anyoldway;
}

As a side note, a finer point to mission design, since this is triggered by the player's platoon, it's important to 'expect the unexpected'. You'll have to anticipate the player coming from any direction, not just two, so it might be easier to combine those 2 trigger zones or encompass the entire area with one big zone.

"Yes."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: