Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 03:32:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: ME question  (Read 187278 times)
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2011, 06:39:52 AM »

Here's what it says at page 35 of the Editor manula:

6) "Sector" - division is turning in a necessary direction. Rotation angle
required.

In other words, it allows you to point to the direction you want your AI unit to face. I tried yeterday with AT guns and Flakc36 as they are very prone to facing the wrong direction in a mission.I first used the mode of movement script to give max fire ranger i.e. 500 metres,Then set the move back to sector and it worked.I observed from 700 metres aways safely tucked in a Panther(without intervening strictly neutral observer.I had a Swiss White Cross painted on my tank!) and I observed the action I had put 2 groups of Soviet tanks and infantry attacking from 2 different directions a total of 9 PaKs and 3 Flak36.They runed in the right directiosn and took out all 14 Sov tanks(T26, BT5s, Mark II, Mathildas and T34s) from 1100 metres to almost point blank.Only 2 Paks and 1 Flak were left intact. So I guess now I'll have to test with combo of infantry, tanks/SPGs and AT guns to see if it works as well with a combo of many units spread over several positions.Tha...thaaa, that's it for now Folks!Stay tuned!

That being said I agree wholeheartedly; Meister Kyth will likely bring the whole matter to a shining clarity! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:41:30 AM by frinik » Logged
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2011, 08:15:53 AM »

6) "Sector" - division is turning in a necessary direction. Rotation angle
required.

In other words, it allows you to point to the direction you want your AI unit to face. I tried yeterday with AT guns and Flakc36 as they are very prone to facing the wrong direction in a mission.I first used the mode of movement script to give max fire ranger i.e. 500 metres,Then set the move back to sector and it worked.
Sounds good! Waiting to see er training mission how command "sector" works. At my part it doesn't metter, which rotation angle I gave to the "sector", tanks always turned into one position and angle always the same.

Provocative signature removed
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2011, 11:50:32 AM »

Sorry ti was not the movement script it was the defence script of course otherwise my guys would be pushing their guns! Grin
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »

Guys question off topic.Are the national identification signs: black cross and red star located in the texture folders??? If not where and what are they called?
norm
Oberst

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2011, 01:16:56 PM »

I'm pretty sure there in a folder called "marks" in the textures folder, I will check when I a home.
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2011, 04:39:16 PM »

Frinik
 I created a test mirroring yours. My tank as observer, a single tank as the test unit and 8 rus trucks approaching. I included a wait time for the trucks so my units have plenty of time to set up. Here's the script file.

ext, ai_move, defense zone, false, -1, 15;
   ext, ai_defence, , 15, 500;
   ext, ai_rotate, 0;

I'm having dificulty understanding how to use "sector" option. I've read and reread the manual and I see no instructions on how to implement it. I tried to highlight it and rotate the map in the desired direction then hit the yellow box/arrow to set it. That doesn't work. Do I need to manually adjust the "rotate, 0;" setting the 0 to a compass degree, that would make sense to set it to a certain heading of the compass (90 deg =east, 180deg =south etc etc)

Right now my units head for the waypoint/contour they drive over it, stop for a bit then move away and park, always in the same direction but never in the desired direction.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks
H
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »

It's one of the options just above Mode of Movement if my memory serves me right?I don't have my game on the laptop I am using to write this post.You click on defence , then then click on add another script click on sector then rotate the ai.The thing missing in your line 2 is sector instead of defense
norm
Oberst

« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2011, 07:01:30 PM »

How are scripts made? I have some mission ideas, and I would like to know if their is any sort of "fire when I fire" script it would be good to have doing ambushes.
Iceman
Graviteam
Oberstleutnant

*Graviteam* (Assistant Deputy Backup Courier)

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2011, 10:06:29 PM »

ext, ai_rotate, 0;
ai_rotate  +/-180

ext, ai_rotate, 0; (North)
ext, ai_rotate, 90; (West)
ext, ai_rotate, -45; (NorthEast)
ext, ai_rotate, -90; (East)
ext, ai_rotate, 180; (South)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:24:17 PM by Iceman » Logged

дополнительный Помощник младшего Заместителя вспомогательного Курьера
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2011, 10:39:28 PM »

Iceman
 Thanks, that's what I kind of thought. Right now in my tests I have the sector set to let's say 90(west)
My AI test unit goes to that waypoint/contour perfectly and rotates to the exact position I desire (west), pauses then moves off some distance and parks in the direction he wants.

I then set the sector to -90(east) the AI unit goes right to the same waypoint/contour, rotates to the new direction (east), pauses then moves off to wherever he desires and rotates to the same heading as before but definately not the one I want.

Here's the two scripts from the same unit trying it two different ways.

ext, ai_move, defense zone02, false, -1, 15;
   ext, ai_rotate, -92;

ext, ai_move, defense zone02, false, -1, 15;
   ext, ai_rotate, 92;
}

As you can see the rotate angles are opposite, I have tried this with the "sector" line in the 2nd position as well as the 3rd position with the same results. If I could keep the unit from wandering off after the initial pause I'd be good. Also, I am notmessing with the directional arrows at this time.

A thought: Does the game AI take into account the terrain and decide it doesn't like the placement I chose for a good defense? Does it go looking for a better location to defend? In this case the terrain is rough and hilly with a few trees.
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2011, 10:43:18 PM »

How are scripts made? I have some mission ideas, and I would like to know if their is any sort of "fire when I fire" script it would be good to have doing ambushes.

I'm a complete noob at this but this is a perfect starting point.
http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=7343.0

Then, read everything you can regarding the ME by Kyth, Frinik and Lockie for starters.
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2011, 11:04:22 PM »

ai_rotate  +/-180
Iceman, thanks for er replay, but I'm still, don't get anything.
Would u be so kind to create a training mission, which'll be devoted to command "sector"(how it does) and upload it kinda tutorial?

Iceman
Graviteam
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2011, 11:06:22 PM »

A thought: Does the game AI take into account the terrain and decide it doesn't like the placement I chose for a good defense?
yes

-------
defense zone02
change to defense_zone02
Scripts do not like spaces in the names of contours

---------
You must specify the name of the position for the defense

for example
ext, ai_defence, village , 15, 500;

And you must have "village" positions in cs_positions()

for example
cs_positions()
{

ext, add_trench, 0, ger_infb_01, -1, 0, village;
   ext, add_trench, 0, ger_infb_02, -1, 0, village;
   ext, add_trench, 0, ger_infb_03, -1, 0, village;
   ext, add_trench, 0, ger_infb_04, -1, 0, village;
   ext, add_trench, 0, ger_infb_05, -1, 0, village;
   ext, add_trench, 1, ger_tanks_01, -1, 1, village;
   ext, add_trench, 1, ger_tanks_02, -1, 1, village;
}
ger_infb_* - contours on map for (for example) infantry positions
ger_tanks_* - contours on map for (for example) tanks positions

Otherwise your divisions will go in search of a place for defense
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:32:19 PM by Iceman » Logged

Iceman
Graviteam
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2011, 11:16:48 PM »

Would u be so kind to create a training mission, which'll be devoted to command "sector"(how it does) and upload it kinda tutorial?

there is no command "sector"
for ambushes use the command ai_ambush

ext, ai_ambush, 350;
350 - Fire distance in meters

lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2011, 12:10:59 AM »

there is no command "sector"

!?
How it could be?
There're commands to units:
1. unknown
2. movement
3. in cars
4. off cars
5. defense
6. ambush
7. sector
8. formation
9. movement mode
10. wait trigger
11. repeat
12. wait time
-----
OK, let it be "operation type", but operation type "sector" doesn't work at all, or I've misunderstanding. Plz, clear picking up one. Training mission vs appropriate script would be fine.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:20:36 AM by lockie » Logged

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2011, 03:56:28 AM »

What I gathered of my expereinces with the Sector option is that it tells the AI to basically stick to that particular area where you are assigning them.If you give the AI a defence script and add sector then they stick to that area they have to defend.But if you add ambush it's trickier because they AI can't reesist the urge to rush forward and face the attacking force and often get killed stupidly because they don't have the human instinct of look at the odds they are facing!

What Iceman said about assigning area rather than layer is very much on the spot.I never use layers when making amission but rather a closed area big enough to ensure the AIO does not crawl all over themselves...

I find Iceman's explanations very clear about assigning rotation angles§ I will try it!

Thanks Iceman!
Iceman
Graviteam
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2011, 07:32:01 AM »

How it could be?
There're commands to units:
1. unknown
2. movement
3. in cars
4. off cars
5. defense
6. ambush
7. sector
8. formation
9. movement mode
10. wait trigger
11. repeat
12. wait time
-----
OK, let it be "operation type", but operation type "sector" doesn't work at all, or I've misunderstanding. Plz, clear picking up one. Training mission vs appropriate script would be fine.
Text "sector" in the editor - it's "ai_rorate" in the script

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »

Iceman is there a command in the Mission Editor that can help the AI not fall into rivers or lakes?Huh?
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »

Frinik
 Since you've had some success with sector could you post your mission file. I'd like to copy it and see what yours looks like compared to mine. I've changed a few things as Iceman suggests and still not having too much luck. I think I'm getting close to what I want but.....

Thanks
H
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »

Frinik
 Since you've had some success with sector could you post your mission file. I'd like to copy it and see what yours looks like compared to mine.
Me also Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: