Graviteam
April 25, 2024, 02:36:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Assault guns - 11th SS Panzer Abteilung 'Hermann von Salza'  (Read 31637 times)
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 08:10:44 PM »

The battle area could be covered in a 4km by 4km map, but 3km by 3km will do.
U can make two maps 2x2km.

Provocative signature removed
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 08:53:35 AM »

Not to be nitpicky or anything, but it would require 4 such maps to cover a 4km x 4km area.  Cheesy

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
Estnische
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 02:12:16 AM »

How much accuracy is normal for mission building in the SFK42 community? e.g tactics and weapons

If I were to build a mission around these events, where could I get some basic advice on defensive postion layouts for hills? I know that the Panthers were located at the rear to avoid damage in the assault barrage, but in relation to the trenches, where would you sensibly place:

- MGs
- mortars
- artillery

Were StuGs used in dug-in positions? Or did lack of a slewing turret make that not practical.

Is there a website with say, "defensive postions 101" lessons?
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 02:39:38 AM »

Defensive Tactics 101  Cheesy Remember, I'm just a layman here. Any experts, please chime in,

• Positioning for 'enfilade' fire: The ability to catch the attacker in a cross-fire. Defenders will need to have good fields of fire in mutually supporting positions.
  • 'Kill zones': Minefields to channel the atacker into areas, where you can catch them in a cross fire. Combined with pre-ranged or bore-sighted artillery.
  • Entrench whenever and wherever possible.
  • Defend from the reverse slope, not the forward slope.
  • Hold fire until you have them in effective range.

Grin I think that covers the basics,

"Yes."
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 03:02:50 AM »

Were StuGs used in dug-in positions? Or did lack of a slewing turret make that not practical.

I think prepared positions would take the form of defensive embankments to reduce exposure. Elsewhere, they'd hide in the woods or behind walls.  Smiley
Also, their mobility is their best defense, i.e. for popping in and out of concealment. (not sure if the AI is that good).

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 07:36:35 AM »

Ethnische:I think the Izum map would be your best bet, it's got a fairly big hill and a couple more nearby and good defensive positionsYThe only drawback is the river close which you don't have on the original mapThe AI unpredictable and you need very good defensive positions otherwise your Stugs will be killed easily
Estnische
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 08:37:14 AM »

Thanks guys, thats a good start! especially the Izum map suggestion. I haven't opened them all up to find a substitute. Damn, I'd love to make the real map - I picked up my copy of Tigers in the Mud and found a reference to Lembitu. Otto Carius and his Panzer Abteilung 502 Tigers fought over this same ground earlier in 1944, between Lembitu, Kinderheim (Lastekolonii) and Waiwara (Vaivara). I didn't know for sure until I realised that the hill, known in Estonian as 'Orphanage Hill', was 'Children's Home' in German.

Lots of scope for historic battles, even Barbarossa stuff.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:28:44 AM by Estnische » Logged
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »

Actually, unless I am wrong, Kinderheim means orphanage in German....
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 12:56:23 PM »

I'm sure, there should be a new map or a couple(more?) for that mission. Playing on the old maps it's so bo-o-oring, imho. I may give u a hand of help to the new maps creating.

Provocative signature removed
Estnische
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 11:11:24 AM »

Yes Lockie that would be fantastic  8)

Frinik - I tried the Izum map with Friedrich-Wilhelm's tutorial, and learned some basic stuff about missions, finding a Panther of my own and disposing of a trio of T34s and infantry. So, I can use the mission editor (whoohoo!). I've also found out what happens when you get to the 'edge of the world', and don't fall off because of 'tiling'! It also confirmed to me that I need an original map.

It's more of a stream-of-consciousness ramble... there are things of value in there, somewhere, probably  Grin

So, rather than have this develop into a stream-of-consciousness  Grin about making maps, I might start a new thread!
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »

Ethnische even with a map by you you'd still have to contend with SF's maps limitations.That being I'd love to see a new map.I collect all the user-made maps and I have them all in my Mission Editors Stone 2009's, Rend's, Deviator's, X Ream's , the Desert ones etc....
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: