Graviteam
April 23, 2024, 01:59:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: We need more buildings!  (Read 60133 times)
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 04:22:53 PM »

Hey, Donken, that's a nice log bunker.... not exactly a "building" but it'll definitely serve a purpose!

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 11:37:13 PM »

Hey, Donken, that's a nice log bunker.... not exactly a "building" but it'll definitely serve a purpose!

is a windmill better? made of 500 polys, i have no idea if thats to much >_> <_<

Next up im gonna try to do a house (thx to Kyths great site for ref pictures). Same as before, ask for file if someone wants to try to get it ingame =)

The real heroes are those that never came back.
Mistwalker
Oberst

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 10:59:14 AM »

Next up im gonna try to do a house (thx to Kyths great site for ref pictures).
That's not exactly right reference. Those buildings are from XIX century - a little too old. And we already have Ukrainian houses. Besides there are already plenty of other models that could be used.

Bu the way, building should contain parts and interior. Otherwise it will be indestructible.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:02:16 AM by Mistwalker » Logged
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 01:07:18 PM »

those buildings do look more interesting. Taken from men of war or something? Do you know more exactly how to name/make destructable buildings? or is it just to make a building in lets say 8 different parts?

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »

Do you know more exactly how to name/make destructable buildings? or is it just to make a building in lets say 8 different parts?

The intact building comes in one part. When it's destroyed, it breaks into multiple parts, each one of which may have its own sub-parts, and so on.
All these have their own '.go' files in the Buildings folder.

The common-res file seems to hold the coordinates of all the parts and their angles.

The obj_cfg folder contains the data on mass and materials of all these bits and pieces, their combustibility and so on.

The damage model, such as it is, concerns the effect of shell-hits and vehicle collisions on the various buildings. Wooden structures tend to be flimsier than stone and concrete  Grin Try wrecking them in the game to see what that looks like,

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
norm
Oberst

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 02:20:04 AM »

well, i did a new bunker now, with alot better texture but far from good.

if someone wants to try to get it ingame (i have no idea how at all) send me a PM so i can send the .obj file and texture =)
Those look great, maybe less grass on the dirt, only bits and bobs, with the majority being earth showing though. They look fantastic though, and the new log textures are much better! Wink
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 09:09:45 AM »

Next up im gonna try to do a house (thx to Kyths great site for ref pictures).
That's not exactly right reference. Those buildings are from XIX century - a little too old.

Well, it stands to reason, if these examples still exist today, there were more of them in the mid-20th century  Grin

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
starnon5
Hauptmann

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 08:48:22 AM »

I would imagine that structures in urban areas made of stone or concrete should be indestructible, at least within the parameters of Steel Fury otherwise tanks would simply be able to roll them down just like the shacks in the original game.
norm
Oberst

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 12:34:06 PM »

wasn't a panther captured by the Americans when it backed into a brick building and it collapsed onto the tank?
anyway, all the buildings should be able to atleast be damaged by some of the larger rounds, so the Brumbar would have something to do.
starnon5
Hauptmann

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 02:45:59 PM »

Ideally the game could have a range of destructibility with buildings, such as being able to blast holes through masonry walls to knocking chunks out of bunker encasements.
But I imagine that the programming limits of Steel Fury would only allow either totally solid, indestructible buildings, or those that fall over like a stack of cards when a tracked vehicle contacts it. 
It would be great to have an urban combat battleground like the battles of the 'festung' cities in Poland '44 to '45, not sure if Steel Fury could be modded to such an extent but I hope it could be.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »

For urban areas i suggest not to model buildings the same way that the original house is made of.
If you ever create a very dense forest it´s enough break through the first tree and let it fall. Next you will notice that all other will fall too like a domino effect. Same would happen in a urban area with one building next to the other.
I suggest (when building blocks) to make the roof collape and change the wall texture to a damage texture once hit but not allow to collpase into several pieces. there could be other stand alone buildings completely destroyable but not for everything.

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 09:10:17 PM »

You are on to something Rends, i was also thinking more of a 3 floor building for example and only make the top floor destructable and/or roof only. But making a building complex (with lots of buildings) is probably gonna be a hard thing to do, lots of things to think about like poly count and if the buildings is gonna be destructable it makes it even harder.

But what about the Ai? can they handle static/indestructable things? Can they move along roads/streeets and dont try to shoot throu the buildings etc? How do they handle simple bridges?

Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 08:18:03 PM »

I´m pretty sure AI can handle to operate in urban regions. You can create forbidden areas around the buildings/blocks . AI will not move into these areas. It might be better to not make small the streets so AI has some room to move. I´m not sure if AI will or will not shoot through the buildings. Guess we need to find it out.

starnon5
Hauptmann

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2011, 10:11:16 AM »

It might be cheeky for me, as a non modder or creator or anything useful, to suggest that it would be a good experiment if someone could create very basic massive blocks, put them down on a map and see how the AI react. I imagine that wouldnt take long to do. Depending on the success of this, it could then be judged whether this is a project worth doing or not, before people start to model 3d buildings.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2011, 12:02:43 PM »

Well we need new buildings anyway. If urban combat doesn´t work we might not need big blocks but still several different buildings we can place into smaller village.

Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 06:44:42 PM »

Any news?
I've put my work on hold in the hope of new buildings.

Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »

Not from my side im afraid, i prioritize my other project atm, but ive sent my windmill atleast to other ppl so well see when/if they script and put it igm. So i have no idea what happens next =) But i can try to finalize one of the woodenbunkers if you want? Or i can try a hut or something, Because the bigger houses for a small city is on hold here, untill im free from my other models.

But here is and alpha image of 4, 4-floor buildings ive done as future reference and template for my future hopefully bigger buildings, im also gonna do single and 2-3 floor ones.

eta is im afraid of 1+ month atleast!

Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »

Nice. I will still wait to see them in game before i go on making more maps/missions for this sim. I'm totaly bored of the 2 only buildings in the game.

Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2011, 02:45:17 PM »

gah, i couldnt resist. So i did this one:

Texture used is from one of the buildings already ingame, so its not the highest quality for this house.
I have no idea thou why alpha channels shows white in my renders.
Whats left to do on that building is all different parts when its destroyed, then i can try to get it ingame somehow Cheesy

Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2011, 07:13:24 PM »

Donken, that looks cool. Bring that stuff into game!  Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: