Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 08:02:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: We need more buildings!  (Read 60098 times)
Rends
Generalmajor

« on: August 02, 2011, 08:06:55 AM »

We need different types of buildings more bridges ect...
I get tired of placing the same few objects on my maps again and again.
People are doing more and more tanks for the game but forget the environment.
So please do me a favor and create more buildings!
Thx,
Rends

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:39:56 AM »

I was thinking the same, im already working on two other things atm but after those two i can ask around and test around to make new buildings and bridges Tongue

The real heroes are those that never came back.
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »

It'd certainly help if...

1) You created a nice list of what buildings you'd like to see with some details for nationality, construction, purpose, size

2) Someone provided a tutorial on creating these objects and integrating them into the game. Poly limits, level of detail (e.g., are windows actually formed, or are they just handled by texture?), do they need a "basement" or foundation to properly display on uneven ground, size and format of the texture, capabilities to show sustained damage (and do they need damaged versions of the same model, or a damaged texture with alpha layers, or...?)

This system is not the easiest one to provide content for in the first place, so a certain level of detail is required to even begin!

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 09:48:38 PM »

1)Sizes, types-
-Apartment complexes
-City Hall's
-the Reichstag Cheesy
-the Kremlin
-various inner city buildings (I don't know how to describe it. basically stuff for an urban tank fight)
-buildings with space for a tank to hide as an ambush point, or a start location (think Berlin)
-anti-tank bunkers
-rubble Smiley

2) I'd make most of them crush-able for tanks like the Tiger\JS-122 (except the bunkers and the Reichstag/Kremlin) and the damage texture thingy. would there be a way to garrison infantry in the buildings?

Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 03:31:25 PM »

2-3 more small village buildings would be nice and a concret or steel bridge somewhat wider than the stock ones so AI has less trouble to cross them.
Bigger buildings for towns would be nice too. See post above.

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
norm
Oberst

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 01:34:16 AM »

yes, some buildings, and versions of the default ones that the infantry could take cover in would be nice...
Also maybe earth/timber bunkers and fortified trenches?
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 08:50:22 AM »

actually i have an hour left here now so i can try to make a timberbunker pretty quick, just to see, but i have no idea of how to get it ingame thou Sad

EDIT: after a few minutes in max i got this:

with a proper texture and a little more time and above all pictures/references of how you guys want it i can do much better!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:09:51 PM by Donken » Logged

norm
Oberst

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »

Those are great!  Cheesy Now if you could have some earth piled up around the front and sides of each, maybe some foliage those would be perfect!
norm
Oberst

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 02:35:55 PM »

That open topped one might fit over a tank dugout, to give a bit of extra cover...
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 03:28:40 PM »

as i said, if ppl can find reference pictures for me or drawings of how they want bunkers/buildings/trenches i can do them. and also someone need to figure out how to get them ingame, and about adding grass/dirt/ flowers or whatever on them is just a waste of polys so hopefully its possible to add them in the editor instead (placing and use the ones already ingame)

norm
Oberst

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 04:05:43 PM »

Can dirt be placed in the mission editor? Because I think those would be much better if they had earth piled up to the bottom of the firing port and up the sides, like in this model. http://ww2games.blog.co.uk/2009/05/17/scenery-6134673/ I suppose shrubbery/cut trees? could be added by the mission maker. Also, could you have the log texture flip end to end on difrent logs, so you don't get that striping effect on the roof of the bunker?
If the dirt were added as part of the model, wouldent you then be able to remove the polys of the external side of the hidden logs to save polys?
also, can you post a pic of those two from behind?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:23:44 PM by norm » Logged
starnon5
Hauptmann

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 08:37:12 AM »

An urban environment would be great, maybe the limitation would be the AI's handling of it, but still worth a try!
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 02:54:39 PM »

I'm currently trying to find a decent selection of pictures of the said buildings so Donken has more of an idea.  It's amazingly hard to find a world war II era city that hasn't been crushed by bombing..

Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 03:51:46 PM »

I'm currently trying to find a decent selection of pictures of the said buildings so Donken has more of an idea.  It's amazingly hard to find a world war II era city that hasn't been crushed by bombing..

yes it is, wonder why. and trying to do something like 40:s era buildings out of fantasy is impossible, atleast for my brain ^^

whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »

Well, I have a few

I'm still looking, however I kind've doubt taking scenic pictures was a priority for those in the fighting Tongue

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 12:28:58 AM »

I was thinking the same, im already working on two other things atm but after those two i can ask around and test around to make new buildings and bridges Tongue

Hi,

Regarding the buildings, I'd suggest to start with something small, here's a nice site to get some visual references:

http://storinka-m.kiev.ua/article.php?id=763

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 03:19:22 AM »

I just watched "Kelly's Heroes" with Clint Eastwood. There's quite a few 40"s era buildings in the movie. It was filmed in Yugoslavia (I think) in the 70"s and pretty much back then they were stuck in a time warp.
Perhaps picking up a copy of this classic would be a good idea. Old style bridges, bunkers, farm houses, barns and towns throughout the movie. Not to mention a couple of operational Tigers. (They still used WWII era armor for their army back then-the last nation to do so I believe).
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 11:53:50 PM »

well, i did a new bunker now, with alot better texture but far from good.

if someone wants to try to get it ingame (i have no idea how at all) send me a PM so i can send the .obj file and texture =)

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 02:24:51 AM »

if someone wants to try to get it ingame (i have no idea how at all) send me a PM so i can send the .obj file and texture =)

There's a something like a guide to importing map-editor items here:

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=60.0

Just look for the post titled 'Short Guide to Objects in Steel Fury'. I hope it's clear enough  Smiley

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
Mistwalker
Oberst

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 02:20:08 PM »

Well, I can rip some buildings from "Theatre of War" series if someone has the time to put those models in game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: