Graviteam
April 20, 2024, 06:36:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Third Party Material  (Read 5112 times)
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: September 07, 2011, 08:48:57 AM »

I saw a post by Rends on another forum about the fact that somebody used his Prorokhovska (Kursk) map without permission in order to make a mission of his own.I think it raises an interesting point about net-iquette or the use of third party creations  -whether vehicles/tanks, sounds or maps - without their consent..

I think there's no issue with the game's 28 stock maps or vehicles as it clear they have been made available to all for use making new missions in Steel Fury.Now the question of imported or non original material made by modders and intended for other games such as the Panther G( made for Forgotten Hope)  , the T-44 (WoT)created a bit of controversy in the past with both models being withdrawn from the game.

The issue of newly created maps such those by Rends, Stone 2009, Deviator etc is an interesting question.Should we ask for permission before using them to make missions which we intend to make available to all???In some cases( mods, fixes etc) the people who created new things made it clear that it was intended to be used by all the fans and thus it's clear that no permission is required unless you plan to export it to another game.

I am using all these maps to make my own stuff which I do not make public so I have no qualms. However as a courtesy I think it would make sense to PM the creator of a map if we intend to use their work for public purposes.There's no copyrigth issue involved but I think in general modders and creators tend to be protective of their " babies" and would be grateful if they are at least consulted and can formally clear any use of their labour.As well when releasing a mission made with materials created by others it might be generous to give credit to whoever created it.

I feel its a topic worth discussing to avoid ruffling feathers....

Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »

Giving credits when using someone elses work is obvious. If the creator doesnt say something else.

But what you talk about can be very sensitive and most ppl have different opinions about everything just because what you say their creations is their "puppies"

One good thing and one less thing to worry about would be if some Moderator or similar do a set of modding rules/forum rules (i couldnt find any) about stuff like this, What would be good in this small community is that everything that is released within this forum can be used by everyone for this game and rereleased without permission BUT credits for the creator is a must, if the creator doesnt say something else (then we must follow this).
Like me for the past month, ive released a few thing to the "public" even a few .max files/.obj files wich is very unusual to do because i have no proof at all its mine and everyone have the possibility to do whatever they want. It is like im throwing money to random ppl easy explained. But i also said so that they can do whatever they want with it!

And more, i even send a copyright file/disclaimer to the more important stuff in my zips even if i send them private to other ppl. That is all i can do, if they follow im grateful, if not its nothing i can do about it!

The real heroes are those that never came back.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »

Well Donken giving credit to the creator ain't obvious as you think because I have seen repeatedly in the past on various fora and games people using other's creations without giving them credit.There are always people who have a sense of entitlement and will be totally oblivious of giving others credit for their work.
Mistwalker
Oberst

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »

I'd say as long as the others won't use your materials for commercial purposes or claim your work as their own you shouldn't be bothered by it. As long as they give credits that's fine by me.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 01:51:00 AM »

I say Amen to that! Smiley
Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 08:59:46 AM »

Hi folks,

I think that the "recommended modding etiquette" posted as a sticky on Subsim site serves the SH modding community very well as is pretty much equally appropriate here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=115983

Best wishes

Aces

"IL-2 MAT Manager" co-dev.,Silent Hunter III "Super Turms","Super Pens","Crew on Deck" ,Multi-Skin Bombers dev. Wings of Victory v2.10.
Gamefront: http://tinyurl.com/bpbaeyl
Mediafire: http://tinyurl.com/bn2aoqt
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 01:54:11 PM »

This is indeed common sense!I think pretty much everybody would go for these guidelines.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: