Graviteam
April 25, 2024, 10:54:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Object editor in trouble! Looking for help!  (Read 14266 times)
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 10:51:42 PM »

If i remember correct LOD:s for textures are called mipmaps? Or is that something else?

Rends: This specific problem i dont think it is something with the models itself. I also tested to export the same model 3 times with correct naming: lod1, lod2 and lod3 exactly the same model (a working one in the game). And it didnt even work then. So i really dont think there is anything wrong on the "modelling" end.

I also think it is something with a missing folder somewhere or a well hidden setting ^^

The real heroes are those that never came back.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 11:28:28 PM »

Mipmapping is more a anti alias function for textures but can be seen as LODs for textures too.
Lockies image is a good example of an mipmapping image
But it won´t save graphic memory. IF you realy want to save graphic memory you would make use of a lower resolution texture when switching model LODs. Example: For a near object you will use a 2048 res image and when switching to LOD2 you would use a 1024 res image and for LOD3 a 512res image. But not all games support this and i don´t know if Steel Fury make use of it.
And Lockie , i checked the SPM1.5 heavy tank textures and they don´t have mipmapping textures nor lower resolution ones.
About a correct usage of LODs in the game i would suggest to ask a devellopper how to make it work.
The LODs could be part of the regular 3D model or seperate ones and i´m pretty sure that there must be a text content file belonging to the 3d model anywhere that describes the model for the game engine.
But again i´m not a good help here.

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 01:58:32 AM »

I also tested to export the same model 3 times with correct naming: lod1, lod2 and lod3 exactly the same model (a working one in the game). And it didnt even work then. So i really dont think there is anything wrong on the "modelling" end.

I also think it is something with a missing folder somewhere or a well hidden setting ^^

It works okay converting smaller models (total number of vertices around 5000), even though the object editor throws up an error message.

Take another look at the 'Easy Barn' tutorial.  Grin The new buildings have 3 LODs each.

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=9671.0
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:00:13 AM by Kyth » Logged

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
yl9961027
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 06:06:52 AM »

true dat Rends. Its not really so much extra work on the modelling part to make LOD:s but i cant export the models to fully working .go:s Sad

So yl, if you figure out whats wrong on our tries plz share. I want to test making 3 LOD:s on the Jagdpanzer!
Hi! Donken.
Is your model working correctly? I followed Kyth's advice. When I reduce the number of vertices, the 3 LODs can all be displayed in the object editor. So you must continue to reduce the number of vertices of your model, know that it meets the game requirements.

歯車には歯車の意地がある
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 08:57:23 AM »

What model are you working on? Let's see it,  Grin

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 09:26:05 AM »

According to the manual of "Operation Star" the procedure of the 3LODS creating has a next steps:
Let's say we've a model "tank.max"
1. Export and create a model vs name "tank10.x" It'll be a physical model, which game engine calculate.
2. Export and create a model vs name "tank11.x" It'll be a LOD1 model and has exactly the same quantity of the polygons as a physical model.
3. Reduce a quantity of polygons to 50% and remove p_commander, p_gunner etc. Than export and create a model vs name "tank12.x". It'll be a LOD2, which u can see at the distance more than 50m.
4. Reduce a quantity of polygons to 75%. Than export and create a model vs name "tank13.x". It'll be a LOD3, which u can see at the distance more than 150m.
For example, our model has 10 000 triangles, than LOD2 has 5 000 and LOD3 has 2 500 triangles.
5. Open Object Editor, select model "tank10.x" and press F9.
6. Than you we'll get five models:
- "tank.go"
- "tank10.go"
- "tank11.go"
- "tank12.go"
- "tank13.go"
Delete 10,11,12,13 and use model "tank.go". It consist of the three LODS. U can check it by pressing "+/-".
So, the procedure exactly the same as Kyth described for the new buildings, but vs additional model creating as a  physical model.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:55:59 AM by lockie » Logged

Provocative signature removed
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: