Graviteam
April 27, 2024, 01:44:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antialiasing / Depth of field  (Read 6869 times)
wolk
Oberleutnant

« on: November 02, 2011, 08:07:56 PM »

In russian Operation Star there are two options:
1. Smoothness
2. Integral Antialiasing

If I understand this good, the second options gives AA effect, and the first something like "Depth of field" effect. I write about this, because I like very much this DOF effect, it gives a nice movie feeling to the game - but it doesn't work in english version of Operation Star, where there is only one option: "Smoothing", which works like AA, not like DOF.

Did you resign from this DOF graphics option in newer versions than last russian Operation Star (6c)?
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:25:47 PM »

In russian Operation Star there are two options:
1. Smoothness
2. Integral Antialiasing
Yes

If I understand this good, the second options gives AA effect, and the first something like "Depth of field" effect.
No.
Other gives AA effect, but second gives side effect in the form of motion blur (when moving camera or object), it's not a DOF

In Patch#7 (october 2011) second will be obsolete, first is improved

I write about this, because I like very much this DOF effect, it gives a nice movie feeling to the game
In english version already fixed. like wiil be in patch #7 for russian version.
Sorry, it's a negative side effect.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
wolk
Oberleutnant

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:14:16 PM »

Ah, so it's a bug, not a feature? Well, I'll be missing this particular bug... Really, quite like a DOF Cheesy Thank you for the answer!
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:25:04 PM »

Ah, so it's a bug, not a feature?
Not that bug, but a side effect Smiley

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Juswick
Oberleutnant

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:39:25 AM »

Oh I see. I Liked the Bur and Field of Depth effect too and wondered why it was gone.
After trying all the video options I even re-installed the game and then tried quick battles at different times of day...
Heheh The blur is probably better gone as it is not realistic, but field of depth adds realism in my opinion.

The game is looks great but I do notice the tree LOD changes to low rez too early and this looks bad.

Thumbs up great game  8)

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 10:11:30 AM »

Oh I see. I Liked the Bur and Field of Depth effect too and wondered why it was gone.
After trying all the video options I even re-installed the game and then tried quick battles at different times of day...
Heheh The blur is probably better gone as it is not realistic, but field of depth adds realism in my opinion.

"Blur" will return one day but not just as a side effect of anti-aliasing  Grin

The game is looks great but I do notice the tree LOD changes to low rez too early and this looks bad.

Yes there is. But we do not have an artist who would redrew the texture on the trees so that the transition was not very noticeable.

Juswick
Oberleutnant

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »

Yes, Such great game from such a small team.

I don't think you would need to redo the textures...
Just delay the transition from hi LOD to low LOD, untill the tree is further away from the camera.

Anyway is minor problem. The game looks great as it is !
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:38:34 PM »

don't think you would need to redo the textures...
Just delay the transition from hi LOD to low LOD, untill the tree is further away from the camera.

Distance to change the detail level is chosen for performance reasons. Increase it's not a good idea.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: