Graviteam
April 26, 2024, 01:02:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would this game have more Players if
there was more advertising - 16 (76.2%)
it had multiplayer - 5 (23.8%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't understand why  (Read 29035 times)
sunflowerseeds
Oberleutnant

« on: January 15, 2012, 06:14:04 PM »

I don't understand why this game isn't more well known amongst wargamers. What do you think?
A good franchise needs plenty of support and this one deserves it.
I noticed these forums are kind of dead is there another APOS forum
with more posts?
benpark
Hauptmann

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:27:02 PM »

SimHQ also has a good Graviteam forum:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/238/1/Graviteam_Sims.html

As to why it doesn't have as much of a vocal English language forum- I can't say, but it seems to be growing a bit.  The games are great since Operation Star and the addons fixed my issues with the initial Achtung Panzer game.  A few people have issues with the UI, but I just don't see that as an issue (it works for me, and I understood it within 10 minutes of playing).  People are certainly missing out.
randall.flagg
Major

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 02:25:34 AM »

Im guilty of not getting the original AP, I admit I was wrong.
Simply put APOS is THE best Eastern Front game Ive ever played.  I know thats blasphemy against CMBB(Combat mission Barbarossa to Berlin) but APOS has a ton of atmosphere and alot of little details that I havent seen before.

Things that they could do to improve sales especially among wargamers:

Advertise more.  Maybe instead of youtube videos with techno music you could make youtube videos with documentary style voice-overs of both sides explaining the battle, armor in use at the time, what the soldiers were thinking, etc.

Replace the current, obtuse update method, and adopt an update sequence that everyone else in the world uses(run a patch EXE, next, next, finish)

Have ALL the docs translated into the localized languages PRIOR to release.

Simplify the Operation editor.  Dont think that because the previous one wasnt used was because we didnt want to use it.  We didnt use it because it was an incomrehensible pain in the arse to use and the op editor docs werent translated until after the community tired of waiting.

johncage
Oberst

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 04:14:15 AM »

the realistic rts genre is already a niche market. and lack of advertising campaign means little exposure.

multiplayer is not a guaranteed draw. most players wouldn't be able to get past the tactics screen without help. it's the unfortunate truth.

i see these as contributing factors:

difficulty
lack of advertising
foreign indie company
monopolization by large studios
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 07:27:37 AM »

Im guilty of not getting the original AP, I admit I was wrong.
Simply put APOS is THE best Eastern Front game Ive ever played.  I know thats blasphemy against CMBB(Combat mission Barbarossa to Berlin) but APOS has a ton of atmosphere and alot of little details that I havent seen before.

Things that they could do to improve sales especially among wargamers:

Advertise more.  Maybe instead of youtube videos with techno music you could make youtube videos with documentary style voice-overs of both sides explaining the battle, armor in use at the time, what the soldiers were thinking, etc.

Replace the current, obtuse update method, and adopt an update sequence that everyone else in the world uses(run a patch EXE, next, next, finish)

Have ALL the docs translated into the localized languages PRIOR to release.

Simplify the Operation editor.  Dont think that because the previous one wasnt used was because we didnt want to use it.  We didnt use it because it was an incomrehensible pain in the arse to use and the op editor docs werent translated until after the community tired of waiting.

Just because the op editor is not all GUI tastic does not mean its not powerful.  Geezz it only needs 3 files and your good.  If I could figure it out.....without documentation (ok small problem with not making a folder with called out....for error report)  then your not trying hard enough. i know, harsh.  I had the editor running for sabow (totally not set up for) about 30 minutes after the beta for it was released.  You know its the same editor with no paths that work.  If you want to make a mission just use unflat on a campaign, cut paste the needed bits to example files and run new operation.  Bam your good to go.  Everything else from there on out is in the editor.  Its a real world working editor.  I'm glad its the way it is, I learn more.  Sorry for rant and harsh tone.

Yabba dabba do
randall.flagg
Major

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »

I shouldnt have to reverse-engineer the op editor to figure out how it works.  In its current state its unnecessarily complicated for most wargamers.  Dont give the consumer a reason to NOT make a purchase.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »

I shouldnt have to reverse-engineer the op editor to figure out how it works.  In its current state its unnecessarily complicated for most wargamers.  Dont give the consumer a reason to NOT make a purchase.

Ok, granted.  For the avarage joe the editor may not be what they are use too.  At least the first steps of setting up a campaign.  Ask questions!  I did/do.  Personally, I am more than willing to help anyone out with it. 

Dont give the consumer a reason to NOT make a purchase.
  Ah you talking to me?  Cause if you are I most certainly do not work for Graviteam.  I am just a broke dick ex-soldier with to much time on his hands.  Now if I lived in the Ukraine, ya I would probably be beating their door down for a job.

Yabba dabba do
benpark
Hauptmann

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »

Flashburn, I make take you up on the offer of editing advice.  I thought I'd start with the new summer DLC, and simply add some additional replacements for the existing formations. 

Do I need to explode any files for this?  I can't seem to get that to work, so that may be the first question on my list.  I've read the docs, and can't get it to work.  A stone cold-simple explanation of how to do this basic thing would be appreciated massively.
randall.flagg
Major

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 05:58:14 PM »

Dont give the consumer a reason to NOT make a purchase.
  Ah you talking to me?  Cause if you are I most certainly do not work for Graviteam.  I am just a broke dick ex-soldier with to much time on his hands.  Now if I lived in the Ukraine, ya I would probably be beating their door down for a job.

No, I refering to my above list: Things that they could do to improve sales especially among wargamers:
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »

Sure thing can you start a new thread in forum.  I have go run off for a bit but I can help out the best I can.  But break things down some.  Ok this might be tricky.  I have not been able (have not really tried) to open a compiled campack file.  if all you want to do is simply add to the list reinforcements.  Start with the unflat command....Copy paste the DLC .campack2 file (have not gotten it yet....your fast.) to users/modwork use unflat on the campack .....it will not show in the pull down window so change it to all files.  It will un pack the campaign.  

Crap really have to run.  All tools are in docs/modwork folder.  need to convert cfg files to to readable.............top one in folder.  Should get you started.  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yabba dabba do
anon
Oberleutnant

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 11:49:19 PM »

>pack up the two DLC and the original in a gold edition or w/e
>add multiplayer
>put it on steam

woaaah, infinite sales!
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 12:08:07 AM »

>pack up the two DLC and the original in a gold edition or w/e
>add multiplayer
>put it on steam

woaaah, infinite sales!

Great!  Grin

But we don't have a magic stick, waving that we will force Steam to take our game to sell, and multiplayer miraculously appear in the game ...  Roll Eyes

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
randall.flagg
Major

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 12:45:34 AM »

Good, I guarantee you putting your products on Steam will make alot fewer of us will buy it. In addition Steam doesnt seem to want to sell wargames. Matrixgames on the other hand wouldnt be a bad idea.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:48:05 AM by randall.flagg » Logged
sunflowerseeds
Oberleutnant

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 01:55:05 AM »

Yes matrix games does seem a good place for this. Just about all there games are wargames. They have many WW2 games. It seems to be the place where wargamers go to
find wargames.
Tac Error
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 02:22:30 AM »

IIRC Graviteam tried to have Matrix Games publish the previous game Kharkov 1943 way back in 2009. I guess it didn't work out for some reason.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 02:27:53 AM »

IIRC Graviteam tried to have Matrix Games publish the previous game Kharkov 1943 way back in 2009. I guess it didn't work out for some reason.

Think they are kicking themselves?

Yabba dabba do
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 05:16:25 AM »

Think they are kicking themselves?

As it happens, they already had a game by the name of 'Panzer Command Kharkov'.
Maybe they figured they couldn't have 2 different games, dealing with the same theatre, at the same time?

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
randall.flagg
Major

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 12:33:05 PM »

As it happens, they already had a game by the name of 'Panzer Command Kharkov'.
Maybe they figured they couldn't have 2 different games, dealing with the same theatre, at the same time?

True, but APOS blows that old thing out of the water.
KEYSTONE07950
Oberleutnant

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 01:23:25 PM »

In my opinion the reason this game has not grown and gained popularity and will not in the future is self evident in this thread and the packing/unpacking thread.  It is a "PITA" to edit.  The Combat Mission games are much easier to create mission / campaigns.

I purchased AP-Kharkov when released and Operation Star when released.  The game play is great.  I enjoy it very much.  Most of my enjoyment from a game comes in the editing process.  I love to tinker with various scenarios / missions / campaigns.  Scenario creation is comparatively easy with Combat Mission and Panzer Command Ost.  Reading the packing/unpacking thread gives me a HEADACHE.  It's too much work for me.  If Graviteam made it easier (with a step by step tutorial of the process) I and I'd imagine many other gamers would enjoy the Achtung Panzer games more.

randall.flagg
Major

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 01:57:43 PM »

I agree, their number one priority should be to replace the clunky Operations Editor with a GUI-based more user-friendly version.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: