Graviteam
May 12, 2024, 05:37:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dynamic Mission Generator?  (Read 5126 times)
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: June 25, 2012, 10:04:16 AM »

Hi,

I'd like to bring up, or unearth, a topic that's piqued my curiosity ever since I read it. A Dynamic Mission Generator for Steel Fury:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147437

I'd imagine that a mission generator would automatically place units, and assign movement orders / objectives, from pre-defined contours. They might even be customized to the terrain of each map. (at least I think that's how the DCG for IL-2 works)

I'm wondering how far the testing went with this, and what the results were?
Perhaps some old hands, from the early days, could let us know what happened to this project,  Huh?

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:06:13 AM by Kyth » Logged

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »

I remember a guy working on this a couple of years ago on the subsimHQ forum with great promises and then dropping out of sight like others with promising ideas before.

Personally I think Graviteam should have one in their next WWII tank sim to make up for the lack of MP.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:56:34 PM by frinik » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 12:50:30 PM »

The irony is that I have a clear idea what pieces should go into a random mission.
But I haven't a clue about making a generator that would put those pieces together,  Tongue

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 01:57:15 PM »

Don't they have an instant battle generator in one of their RTS????I wonder if that feature could be trasnferred into SF?Huh?
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 03:47:13 AM »

As you know, the mission files are in text (ASCII) format, which means that a mission could be created from start to finish using a text editor or generator. It is just a matter of knowing what lines to add in, and where. That is a known fact, having copied and pasted mission files using Notepad before.

Observing many folks flopping and floundering piteously, in their attempts to create missions, maybe an automatic generator would be a good thing.  Cheesy

Of course, as I said, I have not a clue how to put such a generator together, Tongue

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 07:50:41 AM »

The Mission Editor is not difficult to use.It's just putting missions together with all the frills which is a pain in the neck.... Roll Eyes
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 10:17:35 AM »

I agree any auto-generated mission might get a bit generic;

For instance, there wouldn't be found such titles as 'Quietly Flows the Blub' and 'The Battling Bustards',

"Yes."
Txema
Generalmajor

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 06:16:15 PM »

I agree any auto-generated mission might get a bit generic;

For instance, there wouldn't be found such titles as 'Quietly Flows the Blub' and 'The Battling Bustards',

Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: