Graviteam
May 15, 2024, 06:00:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer of '42 on the Russian Front  (Read 7887 times)
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: September 16, 2013, 05:44:17 AM »

Some Panzer Blitz German-Russian order of battle for the Summer of 42 on the Russian front that some here may find interesting.

http://gregpanzerblitz.com/1942_russia.htm
FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 10:07:26 AM »

Some Panzer Blitz German-Russian order of battle for the Summer of 42 on the Russian front that some here may find interesting.

http://gregpanzerblitz.com/1942_russia.htm
Thank you very much! Can you explain what figures in the corners of troops indicate?
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »

They're standard counters for a popular board wargame, 'Panzerblitz'.
The numbers stand for 'Attack', 'Range', 'Defense' and 'Movement'.

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
chashka17
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »

Thanks Dane. Some interesting info.
I find the SS Grossdeutschland entry somewhat curious.
AFAIK the SS & GD were not the same.  GD was elite Heer but unusually had cuff titles & received newest equipment like the SS.  One of the first units to get 100% synthetic oak leaf camo smocks IIRC
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 01:53:36 PM »

I was surprised about the SS status He gave the GD also Huh?
Looks like He got a hold of some books authored by history revisionists-they're becoming quite prevalent lately.

He also writes that in the Summer of 42' the GD fought its way to the gates of Stalingrad.
The GD didn't quite go that far before they were sent back to Army Group Center in mid August and participated in the Fall battles  near Rzhev.

I mainly posted this because I thought people would be interested in seeing the composition and make up of these divisions,but I wouldn't rely on it for complete accuracy.

1941 Operation Barbarossa Table of  Organization with more detail about the individual Russian Tank Corps..
http://gregpanzerblitz.com/1941_russia.htm

I should of stated that this site is more a table of organization  and not really an Order of Battle.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:21:03 PM by Dane49 » Logged
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 04:55:27 PM »

Thank you very much! Can you explain what figures in the corners of troops indicate?
Posted by: Kyth 
They're standard counters for a popular board wargame, 'Panzerblitz'.
The numbers stand for 'Attack', 'Range', 'Defense' and 'Movement'. 

What Kyth said,
This was a very popular wargame here in the west in the 1970s based on 250 meter hex grid maps.
There was an East Front version called PanzerBlitz and a West Front version called PanzerLeader made by a very popular but defunct gaming company called Avalon Hill.MMP bought them out I think.

Attack factor # -Type of armament-Effective Range #
Defense factor # - Movement allowance #

I suspect some of us old wargamers cut our teeth on the Avalon Hill wargame products before branching off into other gaming venues.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:57:02 PM by Dane49 » Logged
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 05:11:48 PM »

Avalon Hill also made a modern Arab Israeli version of these two games that was very popular also. 8)
Don't recall it getting the kind of back lash when it was released that most wargame developers seem to shy away from when considering an Arab vs Israeli type game. Huh?
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 05:16:26 PM »

Avalon Hill also made a modern Arab Israeli version of these two games that was very popular also. 8)
Don't recall it getting the kind of back lash when it was released that most wargame developers seem to shy away from when considering an Arab vs Israeli type game. Huh?

Because it is irrational fear that has never happened.  Like how games loosely based on current ongoing wars get hardly any flak in the press.

Yabba dabba do
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »

Because it is irrational fear that has never happened.

Exactly,
I guess the developers fear some radical entity who hates one side or the other will use the game as a catalyst or crusade in promoting their cause while spreading a bunch of negative comments about the game in an attempt to further their own hateful political  agenda.

My friends and I who played the Arab Israeli War game were neither Jewish or Arab and mainly looked at the game as an East vs West type military technology conflict crewed by foreigners.

We didn't much like the desert boards either and ended up using the NATO and Warsaw Pact unit types on the PanzerLeader and PanzerBlitz boards for some real Cold War action.The little side show forever war between the Arabs and Israel didn't interest us much except as a means to utilize the more modern forces from that game in a European setting.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:16:14 PM by Dane49 » Logged
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »

Because it is irrational fear that has never happened.

Exactly,
I guess the developers fear some radical entity who hates one side or the other will use the game as a catalyst or crusade in promoting their cause while spreading a bunch of negative comments about the game in an attempt to further their own hateful political  agenda.

My friends and I who played the Arab Israeli War game were neither Jewish or Arab and mainly looked at the game as an East vs West type military technology crewed by foreigners.

We didn't much like the desert boards either and ended up using the NATO and Warsaw Pact unit types on the PanzerLeader and PanzerBlitz boards for some real Cold War action.The little side show forever war between the Arabs and Israel didn't interest us much except as a means to utilize the more modern forces from that game in a European setting.

Honestly if handled right I do not see why a game on the 73 war would cause any issues with the Arab world. Even the insane part.  They could have won the damned thing.  Equal time to both sides....what is the problem?

Yabba dabba do
gregpanzer
Leutnant

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 12:48:05 AM »

A message to Dane49 and Chaska17.  Before you trash a person's website and accuse them of revisionist history, please do a better job of actually looking at the site.  The SS designation on my 1942 page for the GD was a typo and anybody following the link would have seen a data page that had nothing to do with SS.  I welcome all corrections to my site.  Please email me with your suggestions next time instead of critiquing me in public.  By the way, it's "should have" not "should of".
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 01:48:59 AM »

By the way, it's "should have" not "should of".

I stand critiqued Embarrassed
chashka17
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 09:48:59 AM »

A message to Dane49 and Chaska17.  Before you trash a person's website and accuse them of revisionist history, please do a better job of actually looking at the site.  The SS designation on my 1942 page for the GD was a typo and anybody following the link would have seen a data page that had nothing to do with SS.  I welcome all corrections to my site.  Please email me with your suggestions next time instead of critiquing me in public.  By the way, it's "should have" not "should of".

If you think what I said is "trashing", you need to look at the world around you more closely.  Furthermore having a site open to the whole internet world tacitly invites public opinion, good or bad.  If you want a non-public site free from public opinion then password all access for members only. 

I take your point on direct contact but some authors find having their work questioned offensive & if I emailed every site I saw with typo/content queries I would be doing nothing else. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: