Graviteam
May 05, 2024, 06:22:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive FPS drop coming back from the tactical map  (Read 8666 times)
primus_71
Oberleutnant

« on: July 18, 2012, 06:24:42 PM »

Hello,

I'm running SP 1.5 with the latest updates. My average FPS in the game is stable around 60, but occasionally, when coming back from the tactical map, my FPS drops to single digits and stays there until I restart the mission.

System specs: Win 7 64 | i7 870 | 8 GB RAM | GTX 460

Is there a way to solve this issue?

Thanks
Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »

Hi mate,

What Nvidia driver version are you running?, just a thought you might try turning off the adaptive power management or whatever it is called as maybe the card isn't switching back to 3d mode from 2d mode. If this works then you can make a game profile for SF with this turned off whenever the game runs.

Hope it helps

Regards

Aces

"IL-2 MAT Manager" co-dev.,Silent Hunter III "Super Turms","Super Pens","Crew on Deck" ,Multi-Skin Bombers dev. Wings of Victory v2.10.
Gamefront: http://tinyurl.com/bpbaeyl
Mediafire: http://tinyurl.com/bn2aoqt
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:59:07 AM »

Try unchecking the Use Desktop Resolution box in the video options of your game.That should give you a significant boost in fps...
primus_71
Oberleutnant

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 05:16:33 AM »

Thanks for the tips guys.

Aces, my nvidia driver version is 275.33. I'll give your suggestion a try. It may well be the reason.

Cheers.

Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 07:39:44 AM »

Hi mate,

Hope it helps, I know that Nvidia have had issues with this in the drivers and the cards throttling down in 2D mode and then not throttling up when re-entering 3D mode. all my hand-made game profiles have this feature disabled.

Cheers

Aces

"IL-2 MAT Manager" co-dev.,Silent Hunter III "Super Turms","Super Pens","Crew on Deck" ,Multi-Skin Bombers dev. Wings of Victory v2.10.
Gamefront: http://tinyurl.com/bpbaeyl
Mediafire: http://tinyurl.com/bn2aoqt
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:44:39 AM »

275???I have the 301.42 drivers version installed since 2 weeks ago.They work well for me.I think it's time you update your drivers.I last had the 275 in November last year....
primus_71
Oberleutnant

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »

Frinik,

You're right. I'm just too lazy I guess Smiley

Cheers
primus_71
Oberleutnant

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 06:22:22 PM »

Hello guys,

I'm sorry to report that setting Power Management Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance (Nvidia Inspector) did not solve the issue  Sad

Anyone have any other suggestion?

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 06:38:12 PM »

Have you tried unchecking the Use Desktop resolution box in the game video options? For most people it has resulted in a solid increase in fps?

What kind os resolution are you using both in game and your monitor screen?

In thwe Nvidia options disable the Vsync.Vsync basically synchronises your monitor refresh rate to the game's but the problem is it caps your fps badly.Try both unchekcing the Use Desktop Resolution box and disabling Vsync in the Nvidia control panel and you should see tangible results!
primus_71
Oberleutnant

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 05:24:16 AM »

Frinik,

Sorry I forgot to mention. I already have Use Desktop Resolution unchecked.

My desktop res is 1920 x 1080 but I use a lower one in game because the messages get cut off on the top of the screen. I have it set to 1600 x 1200, if I remember correctly.

Like I said, normally I have no issue with the FPS. It is stable around 60. But occasionally, when coming back from the tactical map, it drops to 4-5 FPS, whereas it has been 60  at the very same scene a moment ago.

Thanks for the tips!

Cheers
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 12:51:14 PM »

It happens to me occasionally, the problem is that SF is nto optimised to use multi core processors.No matter how powerful your proc even an i7core may choke because the game just does not use all the cores available.Basically it's your gpu that gets to do all the ork and it can cause momentary bottlenecks.Some maps amd missions seem to create that problem more thna others...

As I said with both my Nvidia and ATI I have disabled the AA as the game does not really use it and Vsync I have either disabled or set to adaptive.Thus I rarely have those drops you mention nowadays. I suspect even if you had a powerhorse like an Nvidia 680GTX or an ATI 7970 you'd probably run into the same problem but of course instead of dropping to single digits they'd drop to low teens....

Interestingly enough, my modest AMD Celeron 2.0ghz on a Toshiba Satellite seems to cope better with SF than my i5 and i7 on other machines.....

RAM also seems to make a difference; 8 gbs is ideal 4 or 6 are a bit too low
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: