Graviteam
May 02, 2024, 08:37:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New tanks?  (Read 29024 times)
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: April 30, 2011, 07:05:55 AM »

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone would be able to implement a new vehicle? I had a few in particular on my mind;

DER JAGDTIGER

MAUS

JagdPanzer IV

I know these are all german, but it was just a start Smiley

PS, if someone already made these, can someone provide a link?

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 08:25:02 AM »

Whukid the problem you run into when trying to import vehicles made by modders for another game is:

1) compatibility not all sims' coding works the same way

2) modders tend to be proprietary with their models and ;ay not want them used in another sim.This what happeend with the Panther G made by modders who played both SF and Red Orchestra and the Panther was destined to RO.It was used without permission by some of its creators for SF and the others forced them to withdraw it from that sim.

3) I am personally against putting vehicles such as the Maus, Ratte, JS-3 or any of the tanks that either never left the draughting board of never took part in WWII into the game for reasons of authenticity and realism.We have more than enough real armour and more yet to come withotu turnign SF into an arcade zoo like the World of Tanks.

I guess you ll have to be aptient and hope somebody from the SF group of modders makes a Jagdtiger.Since they already made the Elefant I think you can remain optimistic.

Personally I hope for real armour that really had an impact on WWII like the Panzer IV G to J series, the Jagdpanzer IV (both L48 and L70 models) the SU 100, KV85 etc....
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 01:32:26 PM »

It wasn't that i wanted THEIR models imported, but more of a visual on my ideas Grin . These guys are just examples of some vehicles that would benefit Steel Fury in my opinion, mostly in playability.

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »

I remeber reading onthread on the Sukhoi.ru Avia fourrm about a guy beseeching the modders to make the JS-3 and they turned him down flat....
norm
Oberst

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 02:56:16 PM »

hey, whukid, you try the Jagdpanther that's in game, not quite what your looking for, but still alot of fun, and great sound.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »

Hem Whukid I fail to see how the Maus or the Ratte or the Jagdtiger would enhance the playability or benefit the game????Unless you are looking for a super tnak that can destroy everything in its path.A Godzilla-type.You have the Koenigstiger which is already a tough nut and as Norm suggested the Jagdpanther and the Elefant are also there to play...
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 06:19:04 PM »

guys, relax. it was just a suggestion  Tongue

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 01:46:11 AM »

I was not upset or angry just curious to understand your argument.Had I been angry I would have slapped your Elefant twice , asked you to get a witness and then I would have met you on the battlefield of your choice and repair my tarnished honour through a good old duel between your Elefant and my Panther  Smiley
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 02:43:12 AM »

I was not upset or angry just curious to understand your argument.Had I been angry I would have slapped your Elefant twice , asked you to get a witness and then I would have met you on the battlefield of your choice and repair my tarnished honour through a good old duel between your Elefant and my Panther  Smiley

hahaha fair enough. I just think that it should be more diversified you know? we have all these great vehicles to play, but nothing really that could portray the desperation of the third reich towards the end of World War 2. I believe that if I got my hands on some late-war tank destroyers and stuff, I could re-create the Battle of Seelow heights or the final battle for General Schorner.

Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 03:52:59 AM »

Frinik wrote:

3) I am personally against putting vehicles such as the Maus, Ratte, JS-3 or any of the tanks that either never left the draughting board of never took part in WWII into the game for reasons of authenticity and realism.We have more than enough real armour and more yet to come without turning SF into an arcade zoo like the World of Tanks.

+10,000.

The very second this sim smacks even a little like that smoking pile of dog doo known as World of Tanks, that's the day I wipe it off my hard drive, defrag said drive and then at least make an attempt to get my money back from somebody.

World of Tanks?Huh? Really? Really??? Who even thinks in such a simplistic way that so dishonors the real men who risked and gave their lives fighting in the 1940s??? They can't even come up with a name that merely suggests history or battles that even could have happened??? World of Tanks??? What is that, a seldom-visited department in a back corner at Walmart?

Games like this total piece of crap, with a completely non-historic design, an intellectually lazy, "capture the flag" and "deathmatch" game play, and constant catering to the "gotta win" and those who always gravitate towards the "super weapons" and the "drawing board superweapons" (because they haven't a chance to survive in anything that might have had an actual weakness, or require skill and finess to steer to victory).... they truly make my blood boil.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 04:13:18 AM »

Well Whukid; the Germans had few tanks left to fight at Seelow Heights and most were Panzer IVs with a handful of Panthers and Tiger Is( no Tiger IIs were fielded.Most armour consisted of Stugs and Hetzers and probably some Jagpanthers and Jagdpanzer IVs as well.The Germand depended more on their Flak36 and PaK40 or 43 to defeat the overwhelming Soviet armour and infantry numbers.The Germans were relying on their strong defensive positions, well entrenched, with artillery, minefields rather than their weak armour(they were outnumbered 1 to 6 by Soiet armour). No mythical tank took part in that battle which was essentially an infantry-centred one as far as the Germans were concerned with tanks playing second fiddle.This is a battle where the Jagdtigers in a defensive role might have played for once a useful role but they were not engaged.

As for Shoerner, the butcher as he was nicknamed, he was a Hitler flunky an a horrible commander whose blunders actually undid the splendid defence put up by Heinrici and Busse and cost the Germans terrible casualties.One could only wish von Manstein had not been
stripped of his command by the genial Fuehrer in March 1944!The Soviets can be grateful to him for this as it saved them probably a million men....
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:15:39 AM by frinik » Logged
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 04:21:12 AM »

I heartedly agree with you Stig; games like the World of Stank are utter crap that make Panzer Elite Action looks like a masterpiece by comparison Grin

Unfottunately it is a good money maker as it appeals to the arcade fans and easy shooting lovers whose idea of a " challenging tank battle" is a duel pitting their Maus against a Soviet BT5 or 7 Wink or sweating out their adrenaline with their JS-2 taking on no less than a stubborn Panzer IIC Roll Eyes

No, no I kid you not some people are truly such fearless warriors....
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 06:13:56 AM »

Frinik wrote:

3) I am personally against putting vehicles such as the Maus, Ratte, JS-3 or any of the tanks that either never left the draughting board of never took part in WWII into the game for reasons of authenticity and realism.We have more than enough real armour and more yet to come without turning SF into an arcade zoo like the World of Tanks.

+10,000.

The very second this sim smacks even a little like that smoking pile of dog doo known as World of Tanks, that's the day I wipe it off my hard drive, defrag said drive and then at least make an attempt to get my money back from somebody.

World of Tanks?Huh? Really? Really??? Who even thinks in such a simplistic way that so dishonors the real men who risked and gave their lives fighting in the 1940s??? They can't even come up with a name that merely suggests history or battles that even could have happened??? World of Tanks??? What is that, a seldom-visited department in a back corner at Walmart?

Games like this total piece of crap, with a completely non-historic design, an intellectually lazy, "capture the flag" and "deathmatch" game play, and constant catering to the "gotta win" and those who always gravitate towards the "super weapons" and the "drawing board superweapons" (because they haven't a chance to survive in anything that might have had an actual weakness, or require skill and finess to steer to victory).... they truly make my blood boil.

THIS WASN'T ABOUT WORLD OF TANKS. the pictures were purely for visual purposes (you know, like a slide show?). >>>NOTICE<<< the ONLY fictional vehicle was the Maus. Both other tanks were used somewhat effectively on the battlefield during the second half of the war. It was just an idea to spice things up abit (there goes my proposed M1 Abrams/Leopard/T80 project...). I cant help that you dont like the game; in my opinion, it falls under the same category as games like Navyfield, Aces high, ect.; the good ideas turned fictional. My post had nothing to do with it except the pictures, which can be (were) found on google images Wink .

Frinik, are you sure about the Seelow heights thing? According to Franz Kurowskis book, Panzer Aces and Armoured battles of the Waffen SS, the Germans used Tiger 2s to hold the rear guard in the retreat. They also used them in the Battle for Berlin. To be honest about the 2nd part, i forgot the guys name  Sad . It was the general in Austria who held out against the Russians after the surrender in Berlin. He used Jagdtigers to break out part of his forces to American lines. The rest were captured (murdered) by the Russians.

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 07:05:47 AM »

Whukid I have read about 9 different accounts of the Battle of the Seelow Heights and none mentions the presence of Tiger IIs.Some where used more to the South and about 6 were used in the battle for Berlin.As for the Ratte it never left the stage or pre production model and was, despite some unsubstantiated reports, never put together to fight,As for the JS-3 the Soviets themselves insist it never took part in the last battles in May 1945 as the first units were delivered in mid May.Supposedly some may have fought in Mandchuria against the Japanese. You want real accounts of good last battles I advise you to read the exploits of Karl Nicolussi-Leck's handful of jagdpanthers against and entire US armoured division in late April 1945.Something incredible showing mettle, courage and devotion to duty and one's comrades.Just google the name and read his story.
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »

Well, whukid, we'll give you the benefit of the doubt.... this time. Don't let it happen again... Smiley

Anyway, if you're truly interested in adding to the vehicle set, there are a few threads in here on that rather daunting subject.

What skills can you bring to the table? Do you do any 3D or 2D work? Are you willing to learn to "get under the hood" with the code and the various tools to create any of the files that result in a new tank?

You'll likely get your wishes met much faster if you're willing to do some of the heavy lifting.

My Gaming Rig:
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
CH Pedals
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 07:00:17 PM »

Whukid I have read about 9 different accounts of the Battle of the Seelow Heights and none mentions the presence of Tiger IIs.Some where used more to the South and about 6 were used in the battle for Berlin.As for the Ratte it never left the stage or pre production model and was, despite some unsubstantiated reports, never put together to fight,

Ratte? as in the Landkruzer? I meant the Jagdtiger, which was used mostly against the west, however 9 vehicles were sent to Austria to help hold against the Soviets.

Well, whukid, we'll give you the benefit of the doubt.... this time. Don't let it happen again... Smiley

Anyway, if you're truly interested in adding to the vehicle set, there are a few threads in here on that rather daunting subject.

What skills can you bring to the table? Do you do any 3D or 2D work? Are you willing to learn to "get under the hood" with the code and the various tools to create any of the files that result in a new tank?

You'll likely get your wishes met much faster if you're willing to do some of the heavy lifting.

I don't have alot of experience with modding, but I could certainly do the 2D part. I dont have any special 3D editing software other than GIMP, and the object unpacker is on the Tanks.ru site so i cant get it to copy/edit a vehicle  Undecided . Do you know if there's any free 3D editing stuff anywhere else?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:32:17 PM by whukid » Logged

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 03:51:55 AM »

I dont have any special 3D editing software other than GIMP, and the object unpacker is on the Tanks.ru site so i cant get it to copy/edit a vehicle  Undecided . Do you know if there's any free 3D editing stuff anywhere else?

There's a download link to the unpacker and 3D object editor here:

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1137.0

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 03:58:18 AM »

Hold tight, folks.... right now, my main passion is WWII aircraft. I'm auditing a flight sim to see if I hold any hope of actually getting something done there. It's not looking good, though... lots of snags and barriers.

Should that completely go tits up, I might look to this sim to scratch my 3D modeling itch. I'm pretty sure I can translate my penchant for prolific 3D production from aircraft to tanks...

My Gaming Rig:
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
CH Pedals
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 04:46:17 AM »

Stig what flight sim are you into?IL2?  Your modelling talent would be more than welcome here!What tank models wpould have an inclination to make?
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »

I dont have any special 3D editing software other than GIMP, and the object unpacker is on the Tanks.ru site so i cant get it to copy/edit a vehicle  Undecided . Do you know if there's any free 3D editing stuff anywhere else?

There's a download link to the unpacker and 3D object editor here:

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1137.0

Thanks Kyth! again!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: