Graviteam
May 02, 2024, 03:52:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Quad core low fps unless use only 1 core  (Read 18605 times)
spang
Oberleutnant

« on: June 28, 2013, 02:11:31 PM »

Hi,

First of all awesome game. Thank you. Infeel it necessary as i is my 1st post here.

I have a Phenom II 940 3.4GHz quad core and radeon 5870 1Gb and 8G DDR3 win7 64bit

In a campaign battle I was having 5 platoons against 4 if remember well( at work right now)
My fps dropped to 4 and I knew it cant be the Gpu but tried experimenting with settings. Even in lowest 800x600 it stayed pretty bad. Then I tried to alt tab and see how the cpu utilised and found if I switch all but 1 core off(not in game settings, but affinity in windows task manager) then fps went up around 20-25??

Please help.

Let me know what other details needed if any but it seems to be a general exception.

Thx
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 03:07:40 PM »

OK...THAT is weird.  Was running practically same set up for quite a while and never any issues like that.  So what the heck  Huh? Huh? Huh?

Was this newest patches?  I did get some wonky stuttering deal a week ago.  But I figured was just something bizarre going on with my rebuilding of my computer  (which it probably was).  But that was right before I upgraded my CPU and mobo. Have not fired up Gtos since and actually played the thing.   Undecided
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 03:22:44 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 04:28:40 PM »

Hi,

First of all awesome game. Thank you. Infeel it necessary as i is my 1st post here.

I have a Phenom II 940 3.4GHz quad core and radeon 5870 1Gb and 8G DDR3 win7 64bit

In a campaign battle I was having 5 platoons against 4 if remember well( at work right now)
My fps dropped to 4 and I knew it cant be the Gpu but tried experimenting with settings. Even in lowest 800x600 it stayed pretty bad. Then I tried to alt tab and see how the cpu utilised and found if I switch all but 1 core off(not in game settings, but affinity in windows task manager) then fps went up around 20-25??

Please help.

Let me know what other details needed if any but it seems to be a general exception.

Thx

Try disabling your 6.16 option(game speed).You can also try turning off(disable) shaders and enabling simple shaders to increase fps.
JamesX
Hauptmann

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »

I too get slow down on larger battles.  My specs are:

intel i5-3470 CPU@3.20Ghz quad core

12GB DDR3 ram

AMD Radeon HD 7750 with 2GB

win7 64 bit

When I first got this system in December I was able to run large battles with no slow downs.  Since then I've been getting the slow downs. I've not changed my settings and I don't think there's anything wrong with my hardware - so the only thing that's changed has been the patches.  I've also disabled the Hi-res DLC but to no effect.   

Could it be something in the patches since December that causes slow downs?

PS - I've tried the 6.16 + simple shaders
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:55:11 PM by JamesX » Logged
Void
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »

I played at max settings without problems, but after 2-3 patches the game is unplayable.
I uninstalled polygon update but nothing changed.
The game slows down to 0.6 speed when it is unpaused. It hasn´t happened before.

My spec:
Q9550@3.6ghz
4gb ram
AMD 6970 2gb

Schuck
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »

Hmmmm
And i thought it was only me?
Sometimes mine slows down to 0.6 speed in large battles, and once to 0.5.
Its not graphics related as i tried eveything set to min settings in game and via Catalyst Control Center.
Still the same.
My specs:
 i73930k@4.0Ghz Hex Core
 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram
 Radeon HD 6970 2GB
 Win7 64 bit

What does make a difference is Limiting battle radius.
But i would have thought this CPU could handle most of what the game throws at it?

spang
Oberleutnant

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »

It does sound like a patch broke something. As I said it runs with 1 core pretty well, always over 20 fps. Guys, could you also test and post back to see if you have similar result? It would help the devs I guess.

Make sure you turn off the cores outside the game and not in options!
To achieve this alt tab out of game(if you cannot just make sure you run a browser or something else before start the game to be able to switch to) and in task manager(ctrl shift esc) choose process and right click affinity. Im writing it from the back of my head but this should be the way.

Cheers.
Void
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 08:26:10 AM »

It does sound like a patch broke something. As I said it runs with 1 core pretty well, always over 20 fps. Guys, could you also test and post back to see if you have similar result? It would help the devs I guess.

Make sure you turn off the cores outside the game and not in options!
To achieve this alt tab out of game(if you cannot just make sure you run a browser or something else before start the game to be able to switch to) and in task manager(ctrl shift esc) choose process and right click affinity. Im writing it from the back of my head but this should be the way.

Cheers.

It works!!! Wink Thanks

no slowdowns and it´s possible to accelerate time.
JamesX
Hauptmann

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 09:28:43 AM »

Yes it works for me too!

I notice in task manager that it's called "starter.exe*32 " - I'm running win7 64bit - is the program meant to run on a 32bit system & could using a 64bit system cause these problems?

Also when running a large battle which has slowed down I notice in task manager that my CPU usage is never higher than 25%, same with memory - this suggests that a lack of cpu or memory is not the cause of slow down.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:32:28 AM by JamesX » Logged
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 10:53:01 AM »

I notice in task manager that it's called "starter.exe*32 " - I'm running win7 64bit - is the program meant to run on a 32bit system & could using a 64bit system cause these problems?
This means the program is 32-bit. This can't cause any problems.

Also when running a large battle which has slowed down I notice in task manager that my CPU usage is never higher than 25%, same with memory - this suggests that a lack of cpu or memory is not the cause of slow down.
And this means the program uses mostly one core (I guess you have an quad core CPU).

Oh, and I don't see any difference on my laptop. 5 vs. 4 platoons on the lowest settings give 47 FPS, and on the highest 7-8. I tried default settings, in-game core limiting, and through the task manager.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 10:58:10 AM by Krabb » Logged

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 03:33:47 PM »

I think Andrey may need to go looking at stuff.  Its funny we all thought was just us.   Tongue  Turning affinity to one core is fine for us in the know, but others....not on forum.  Not so good. However it is strange thing really.  Never had this happen in gtos/apos before like this.

Yabba dabba do
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »

Strange indeed, cause I still do not see this. Tongue FlashBurn, have you tried that task manager stuff, do you have that FPS improvement?

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 10:14:35 PM »

Strange indeed, cause I still do not see this. Tongue FlashBurn, have you tried that task manager stuff, do you have that FPS improvement?

No not tried yet.  But pretty sure for here will be the same result.  You know me......I am sucker for simulations.  Currently still goofing off with silent hunter 5....  Now in the Med helping out some fascist bastards.   Tongue

Yabba dabba do
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 01:36:30 PM »

Okay, in Mar 13 d1 patch we will remove assignments for cores in game.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Void
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »

Thanks! and what about quick patch C4b Wink
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 05:17:43 PM »

Thanks! and what about quick patch C4b Wink

Not the fact that it will help, because such behavior can not be reproduced with the developers and testers.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
seamount
Oberleutnant

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 08:38:20 AM »

i installed the game (on windows7 64) saturday and not tested yet ... the "slow" issue has been solved ?
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 08:46:47 PM »

0.6 for me too...tried limiting to 1 core in game options but no change..will do the alt tab thing instead.
chashka17
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 09:26:57 PM »

I have 7x64 & can't say I've noticed this on my 1090 Phenom2.   

I use Process Lasso http://bitsum.com/processlasso/ which has a game mode & will allow you to force affinities more effectively than TM alone. 
Might be worth a try - there is a free version that is fully functional during a trial period but which will still run an optimized gaming environment when the trial ends. See http://www.bitsum.com/prolasso_purchase.php#about_pro

Without doing too much advertising  Cheesy, this has generally improved my Win performance, no regrets using it at all.  + Small dev who looks after his customers.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 01:49:12 PM »

With newer D1 patch anyone having real BIG issues with the fps dropping like a brick about every 2 seconds.  A chop of epic annoying proportions?  With battle sized to limited it is gone...in fact it runs probably the best I have ever noticed.  Undecided  But Then again I NEVER have played on limited.  LOL Always moderate.  Over 3 different processors from dual core 2.8 ghz on my laptop, to 4 core amd 940, and now the amd 8 core whatever its called.  BUT Never had issue like this.  Sure if I set to unlimited my FPS might drop low until enough units died BUT was playable low fps.  NOT this massive stutter every 2 seconds that just pisses me off and makes me quit.  Cry 

with the C4 patch it seemed to do the same BUT nowhere as bad.  Alas I no longer have any older patches on my system. ...Well maybe I do on my portable HD.  Because now I am really curious.,...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:51:23 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: