Graviteam
May 02, 2024, 09:34:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: adding new missions  (Read 8424 times)
TANKACE
Hauptmann

« on: October 25, 2011, 09:33:02 PM »

hi all can you  download/install new missions  into the sim JUST using the mod installer?? can it be done with out adding lines to files etc ...etc.. Roll Eyes
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:16:04 PM »

...can it be done with out adding lines to files etc ...etc.. Roll Eyes
Nope, in some cases u've to add some additional lines to config.

Provocative signature removed
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 04:07:20 AM »

It can be done only when people create missions with existing mods and then make them available in datapack format.Then you don't need to add lines because once you unpack the datapack files it automatically adds the level lines in your game. Regretfully few seem to use that.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 04:32:36 AM »

It can be done only when people create missions with existing mods and then make them available in datapack format.Then you don't need to add lines because once you unpack the datapack files it automatically adds the level lines in your game. Regretfully few seem to use that.

The 'datapack' method gives you the basic files to get the mission working, and there's the problem.

You have to be willing to forgo things that add to the user experience:

- User-defined weather for the mission
- A proper multi-word mission name  Shocked
- Nice customized screenshot for the mission
- Customized introduction and map at the selection screen

Now it is possible to squeak by without the last three, but the lack of custom weather makes the datapack method fatally flawed, in my opinion  Smiley

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:23:17 AM »

Kyth I am not sure what you mean by lack of weather?When you create a mission you tweak the weather to your taste thne save it.Once the mission is saved and loaded the weather chosen will remain permanently in your mission???At least that´s how it works for me...
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:21:36 AM »

Kyth I am not sure what you mean by lack of weather?When you create a mission you tweak the weather to your taste thne save it.Once the mission is saved and loaded the weather chosen will remain permanently in your mission???At least that´s how it works for me...

The weather reads off a different file, the 'weather.engcfg'. It only appears after creating a mission. Guess what, it's not included in the datapack.  Weird special effects happen without this 'weather.engcfg' file  Shocked

I suppose you could include it as part of the zip file, but it's all downhill from there, might as well include all the other good things also, like the title and history text file, screenie, map etc. etc. which our 'customers' have come to expect...

All you have to do is add that extra line to the 'user_camp.engcfg', which shouldn't be that difficult,  Smiley

ps. Not to mention campaigns, which there isn't a way to datapack them  Grin

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:23:18 AM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:20:48 PM »

Kyth I have made some stuff night, evening, early morning missions in datapack format and emailed them to people and they cofirmed that the weather conditions were as I ha dmade them???Beside I switch missions form install to install and no change in the weather I had set.
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 01:15:13 PM »

... no change in the weather I had set.
The weather parameters requests an original file, i.e. "my_weather.engcfg".
It needs to be included into file: ...data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\cm_users\***.level
Code:
	weather_file=weather\weather_user.engcfg;
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:16:54 PM by lockie » Logged

Provocative signature removed
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 01:42:06 PM »

Guys I can only confirm what I have said.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »

... no change in the weather I had set.
The weather parameters requests an original file, i.e. "my_weather.engcfg".
It needs to be included into file: ...data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\cm_users\***.level
Code:
	weather_file=weather\weather_user.engcfg;

Yes, that is correct.

The player may have such a file, only if he has created his own mission(s) previously.

I certainly encountered some strange graphic effects in my early days, without that file.

I'm a bit wiser now, I hope  Smiley

"Yes."
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 02:03:43 PM »

My missions make use of their own weather file. Not "user_weather" but "bar_weather" file for example.

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 03:59:34 PM »

NOt sure what file mine use but it works.The weather stays constant one the mission is saved and loaded.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »

NOt sure what file mine use but it works.The weather stays constant one the mission is saved and loaded.
If you doesn´t make any changes it use the user_weather file. But Kyth is right. If it´s not in the pack and the user didn´t create an own mission it won´t be there and result in very strange texture effects.

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 06:46:29 PM »

I have over 200 datapack missions made with many various types of weather for almost 19 months and I have been moving them from one install to an another without any loss or issue.I can only attest to my own experience.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 09:07:02 PM »

Check this thread and scoll down to see the screenshot how a mission with missing weather file looks like!
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3106940/1.html

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 04:06:58 AM »

Yuuughhhh! The only time I have had this kind of graphic corruption was when my Nvida graphic card was about to give up on me!

Never happened to me! I´ll check to see where are my weather files saved in.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: