Graviteam
May 11, 2024, 06:25:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: August Patch in open beta testing  (Read 30648 times)
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 11:52:07 PM »

WCG, for future reference, it's best to avoid installing games in the Programs (x86) folder due to Win 7's UAC (user account control).  To protect you from yourself, Windows 7 often prevents programs from starting if installed there, unless you run them as Admin.  You can do this right clicking the exe and choosing run as Admin.  It's best just to install games and programs that you're sure are virus free into a separate folder or drive.  For example, all my games go into C/:Games.  Simplifies things.

Bring back 3D markers!
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 07:53:50 AM »

Why can't you just WARN players about which folder to use in the readme file (at the very top of the file)?

At the time of the game release this problem was not found. We do not have a time machine to go back to 2010 and write in the readme Smiley.
Especially since the problem appears not at all users.

If the game won't work when installed in Program Files, why not just tell people that?

Game normally work when installed in any place. There are difficulties with the installation of patches.

I don't understand why you'd have to make your own installer, when you could just tell the people who purchase your game how it should be installed.
We say, but people has difficulties with communication to PC and they do not always listen|read, and its totally normal for humans Smiley. So, to say it is useless, we need to make so that was not an option, only right way. That sooner or later will be done.

And as long as I'm ranting, next time you make a tutorial, PLEASE let us follow along at our own pace! I was lost right from the start, when - apparently - instructions flashed onto the screen about how to start and stop the tutorial (maybe even pause it?) without giving me time to even take notes. It really can't help to infuriate your customers right from the start, can it? Smiley
This is the first report that shows - how to manage assistant, especially now (already 2nd patch) all the buttons on the view, difficulties how to disable / enable / pause / select chapter the assistant is not seen.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 03:26:44 PM »

I think what he is saying is that the tutorial is too quickly paced and is not pausable, if I remember correctly.  It's been a long time since I used it, but I agree with him that the tutorial's usability could be improved.

Bring back 3D markers!
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 04:07:15 PM »

I think what he is saying is that the tutorial is too quickly paced and is not pausable, if I remember correctly.  It's been a long time since I used it, but I agree with him that the tutorial's usability could be improved.
Oh no.
Russian community writes that tutorial is too slow and need to be skipped...English is too quick and need to be paused...where is right way Grin

Now it can be repeated by chapter basis and disabled/skipped in any time.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 07:50:47 PM »

Oh no.
Russian community writes that tutorial is too slow and need to be skipped...English is too quick and need to be paused...where is right way Grin

Well, it could be that the Russian community is that much smarter than the English one, or that they never bother with tutorials anyway. Grin 

Bring back 3D markers!
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 10:51:29 PM »

I found the English tutorial to be vague and unhelpful.

I suggest that if you want to learn how to play the game you should experiment with all the different units in the quick battle mode before you jump into the campaign game.

First learn the basic movement commands(space bar) and use 1 each of infantry,armored and mech platoon against 1 enemy infantry platoon.Obseve your troops after you issue your commands and watch what they do after the initial command is issued,then issue a different command and observe the difference.Keep doing this till you have run thru all the different commands and you are comfortable with the movement orders and how they effect your style of play.

After you have mastered the basic movement commands move up to the modified movement commands(look at the controls page in game to see all the different modifiers for the basic commands)Do more experiments in the quick battles till your are comfortable with them.

Next try experimenting with off map and on map artillery and mortars.There are some tutorials to reference on the Matrix forums for this game that go into more comprehensive detail on how to play this game but I find by constant experiment in the quick battles and a few questions on this forum and researching the the tutorials that I was able to eventually grasp all the details by biting off 1 small piece at a time.

The campaign games are not for beginners,you should master the basics 1st in quick battles before jumping into them.
With a fair amount of practice you should be able to tackle the campaigns on a more informed and skilled level with less frustration.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:57:52 PM by dane49 » Logged
WCG
Oberleutnant

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2012, 02:33:09 AM »

WCG, for future reference, it's best to avoid installing games in the Programs (x86) folder due to Win 7's UAC (user account control).  To protect you from yourself, Windows 7 often prevents programs from starting if installed there, unless you run them as Admin.  You can do this right clicking the exe and choosing run as Admin.  It's best just to install games and programs that you're sure are virus free into a separate folder or drive.  For example, all my games go into C/:Games.  Simplifies things.

OK, thanks. I've been using Windows XP for years, so I don't know much about Win 7 yet.

At the time of the game release this problem was not found. We do not have a time machine to go back to 2010 and write in the readme Smiley.
Especially since the problem appears not at all users.

OK, that seems reasonable, especially since it seems to be a problem in Win 7 with a lot of games (going by Tanker's comment). I wasn't aware of that.

Oh no.

Both could be correct. We need to be able to run the tutorial at our own pace, fast or slow. If you just let us click to advance it at our own speed, that would help. We also need to be able to back up, if we miss something. There's no way to do that, as far as I could tell.

I was actually commenting on the tutorial from the first time I tried to play this game, back in January. It seems to have been improved a bit since then. At least, this time, I could easily stop it and then start it again, whenever I wanted.

But it still wasn't a big help. Really, the tool-tips on the icons tell me the same thing. And the tutorial didn't help with the things I was really confused about. Here's my initial experience. Smiley

I didn't realize that it could be repeated. How do I do that? And what does selecting different levels of help do (right-clicking on that icon)?

Still, my biggest problem - as that post indicated - wasn't really in figuring out what the various buttons did. Instead, it was more basic than that. I really needed a tutorial which would cover just what I really needed to play the game. I could figure out all the little details later, especially since I can't remember all that stuff all at once, anyway.
lavish
Oberst

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2012, 02:15:39 PM »

August patch for APOS and SABOW (official release, not beta) - approximately when?  Smiley
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »

If you just let us click to advance it at our own speed, that would help. We also need to be able to back up, if we miss something. There's no way to do that, as far as I could tell.

Now there are such possibilities (for 2 patch as) - can accelerate, skip and go back.

I was actually commenting on the tutorial from the first time I tried to play this game, back in January. It seems to have been improved a bit since then. At least, this time, I could easily stop it and then start it again, whenever I wanted.

Yes, there are some improvements  Grin

But it still wasn't a big help. Really, the tool-tips on the icons tell me the same thing. And the tutorial didn't help with the things I was really confused about. Here's my initial experience. Smiley
Wonders will not. First Assistant helps those who are willing to stop and listen to a little bit  Grin. Secondly his story coincides with the words on the buttons.

I didn't realize that it could be repeated. How do I do that? And what does selecting different levels of help do (right-clicking on that icon)?
Click on chapter and then it will be repeated again

Still, my biggest problem - as that post indicated - wasn't really in figuring out what the various buttons did. Instead, it was more basic than that. I really needed a tutorial which would cover just what I really needed to play the game. I could figure out all the little details later, especially since I can't remember all that stuff all at once, anyway.
Change assistant level from full to hi-priority things/ Right click on helper button

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2012, 05:35:38 PM »

August patch for APOS and SABOW (official release, not beta) - approximately when?  Smiley
For APOS may be soon.
For SABOW is always beta.

lavish
Oberst

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »

For SABOW is always beta.

What a wonderful world... ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬  Cheesy
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2012, 09:46:58 PM »

We can't reproduce this bug.
Andrey, here are the steps to reproduce the crash:
1. Start the game.
2. Select campaign.
3. Select an operation.
4. Press ESC key before "Loading district ##%" reaches 100%.
The game returns to the operation selection screen, with loading progress still visible. When the progress reaches 100% it crashes:
Code:
Critical error
001: An error has occured while initializing the program
Tested and always reproducible on Windows 7 Pro x64 / 8GB RAM/ Quad Core Q9300/ GF 9800GTX

As I said, this wasn't tested with the August patch. I don't have the latest addon too. If you can't reproduce it, it may be because it has already been fixed along the way.
That said, I might come back to it later after I purchase the Krasnaja Polana and install the August patch. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 09:49:48 PM by Lemonade » Logged
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2012, 11:04:45 PM »

My game runs a lot smoother now and has a higher FPS with the August patch,I had a few problems at 1st but they are all ironed out now.I still get the occasional crash when trying to save a game with the uniform mod enabled,but don't seem to have that problem when I disable the uniform mod.

If you like campaigns,you will love the Krasnaya Polyana DLC(all 20 turns) It doesn't play out the same way I expected after reading about the battle,but still very interesting and enjoyable.

Though I still find that the roads around the river ford crossings don't seem to be where the troops think they are.When I set a road movement command they will follow parallel to the roads not on them.

Also,I think this would make an excellent Summer map,but was way to open as a Winter map.
Understandably the battle took place in Feb.43,but I still thought the center of the map was to barren and would be much more challenging with wheat fields or high grass during a Summer setting.

Actually I wish there was an option in the quick battle menu for choosing all 4 different seasons(Winter,Spring,Summer,Fall) for all the maps the same way that you choose the different times of day.

I think this would add much more enjoyment to the game.Especially for players like Me who prefer the design your own quick battles over the campaigns.
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2012, 12:13:06 AM »

My game runs a lot smoother now and has a higher FPS with the August patch(...)
If you like campaigns,you will love the Krasnaya Polyana DLC(all 20 turns) It doesn't play out the same way I expected after reading about the battle,but still very interesting and enjoyable.
You've convinced me, Dane. I'm buying Krasnaya and downloading the patch ASAP. Smiley 20 turns sounds goodie good.
Capt Sam
Major

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2012, 07:35:54 PM »

The Patch is very good.  Of course, there are always going to be issues, and here are few bugs I've noticed.  Actually many of these bugs existed with the last patch, and none of them really kill the game, but still what I'm noticing in MY copy of APOS:

1) Minimized UI panel often deactivates the hotkeys.  For example, if the lower-left panel with the binocular view is minimized, the hotkey (Q) no longer works.

2) When an infantry unit is inside a building, sometimes the unit view (Q) locks and will not rotate.

3) If a unit is selected and then the UI removed (Control + Backspace), often the unit selection will *stick*.  Hard to reproduce this bug, but it does happen to me.

4) Hotkeys for selecting squads and platoons with the ALT and Shift keys no longer works.

5) Infantry still sometimes bunches up close together into little groups.  Others have imagined they are lost and doing a map-check?!

6) Time does not pass uniformly.  Even with the option to force time adjustment, one minute of game time is not always one minute. (Most players will never notice this or even care, unless they use an external program or script, like a video capturing program or anything else that uses a timer.)

As I said, these are bugs when I play my copy of the game.  Perhaps it is something wrong with my system if I'm the only one.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2012, 08:41:49 PM »

I've experienced some of the same problems not game breakers but annoying.

I've had to implement some work arounds to some of the problems by reassignig some of the hot keys or switching to the tactical map and drawing a rectangle around units I want to select and issue orders to them that way.

It's always been that way that once a unit enters a building you no longer have camera or bino view from that unit so I just switch to another unit or back to Gods eye camera view.

I play this game rather simplistically and don't use the modified commands very often.

Generally with the hot keys I just reassigned M to hide mini map,P to switch from 3D environment to tactical map and Z to hide user interface.
I usually start the game by assiging all my units and objective area and issuing the defense command to them and let them go on their merry way and only issue new commands to those units after they have reached the objective or seem to not be making any head way towards that goal.
I've never been one much to micro manage my units,except for the units that don't seem to respond very well to my commands or stray from the path I originally set for them.

Mostly I just try to watch the battle unfold after the intial commands are given and look for decent camera angles to view the action.

I think if I were to play this game in a purely tactical sense I would probably have to do it all from the tactical map and not the 3D environment.

The 3D environment tends to distract my attention from the overall plan while I'm focusing on some minute or inane fire fight or feature.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:45:25 PM by dane49 » Logged
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »

1) Minimized UI panel often deactivates the hotkeys.  For example, if the lower-left panel with the binocular view is minimized, the hotkey (Q) no longer works.
Yes, it should be

2) When an infantry unit is inside a building, sometimes the unit view (Q) locks and will not rotate.
May be if building blocks a camera move.

3) If a unit is selected and then the UI removed (Control + Backspace), often the unit selection will *stick*.  Hard to reproduce this bug, but it does happen to me.
I'll see it.

4) Hotkeys for selecting squads and platoons with the ALT and Shift keys no longer works.
Yes its obsolete

5) Infantry still sometimes bunches up close together into little groups.  Others have imagined they are lost and doing a map-check?!
If you go to the column and someone gets tired. It must be so.

6) Time does not pass uniformly.  Even with the option to force time adjustment, one minute of game time is not always one minute. (Most players will never notice this or even care, unless they use an external program or script, like a video capturing program or anything else that uses a timer.)

In general, it is. Especially if there are video options in high or|and your computer's performance is not high.
The main thing to avoid jerking and twitching in the controls and in the interface.

As I said, these are bugs when I play my copy of the game.  Perhaps it is something wrong with my system if I'm the only one.
This is not a bugs. May be except (3).

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »

We can't reproduce this bug.
Andrey, here are the steps to reproduce the crash:
1. Start the game.
2. Select campaign.
3. Select an operation.
4. Press ESC key before "Loading district ##%" reaches 100%.
The game returns to the operation selection screen, with loading progress still visible. When the progress reaches 100% it crashes:
Code:
Critical error
001: An error has occured while initializing the program
Tested and always reproducible on Windows 7 Pro x64 / 8GB RAM/ Quad Core Q9300/ GF 9800GTX

As I said, this wasn't tested with the August patch. I don't have the latest addon too. If you can't reproduce it, it may be because it has already been fixed along the way.
That said, I might come back to it later after I purchase the Krasnaja Polana and install the August patch. Smiley
Ok, thanks. Will be fixed in next patch.

Capt Sam
Major

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »

I've experienced some of the same problems not game breakers but annoying. 

I've had to implement some work arounds to some of the problems by reassignig some of the hot keys or switching to the tactical map and drawing a rectangle around units I want to select and issue orders to them that way.

It's always been that way that once a unit enters a building you no longer have camera or bino view from that unit so I just switch to another unit or back to Gods eye camera view.

I play this game rather simplistically and don't use the modified commands very often.

Generally with the hot keys I just reassigned M to hide mini map,P to switch from 3D environment to tactical map and Z to hide user interface.
I usually start the game by assiging all my units and objective area and issuing the defense command to them and let them go on their merry way and only issue new commands to those units after they have reached the objective or seem to not be making any head way towards that goal.
I've never been one much to micro manage my units,except for the units that don't seem to respond very well to my commands or stray from the path I originally set for them.

Mostly I just try to watch the battle unfold after the intial commands are given and look for decent camera angles to view the action.

I think if I were to play this game in a purely tactical sense I would probably have to do it all from the tactical map and not the 3D environment.

The 3D environment tends to distract my attention from the overall plan while I'm focusing on some minute or inane fire fight or feature.

I love learning how other people play games that I like.  I also get distracted by watching the action instead of reacting to it.  I do have a compromising system that works for me.  I have an external script that autopauses the game approximately every 60 seconds.  Basically,  here's the looping process when I play:

(1) With the game paused and the UI on, I make all my commands, either from the map or tactical view.

(2) After I've issued all my orders, I find a nice spot to view the action, usually close to the ground.

(3) I start my auto-pause script (Control+Enter in my script) that removes the UI and the game runs for around 60 seconds.

(4) I watch the action in my little spot on the battlefield, not worrying about anything but the awesome exciting action; the script soon pauses the game and the UI comes back on.

(5) I review all messages and make my plans for the next turn.

(6) Return to step 1.

I don't have to worry about missing much this way.  During the action, when I hear the message box beeping like crazy, it reminds me of an old *beeper*: as soon as the action auto-pauses I can check the messages on my answering machine WITH A TIMESTAMP!  Great music in the background (maybe Wagner) and a paused battlefield that looks like a miniatures game is very satisfying. 

I always try to get down close to where the most exciting action is going on.  I usually know where the best action is going on this way.  Someone could probably make lots of great one-minute video clips of the game this way.

I'm thinking about altering my script to be variable times between pauses.  For example ALT+1=approx. 20 seconds, ALT+2=approx. 40 seconds (and so on up to . . .) ALT+9=3 minutes.

It is an Autohotkey script that runs in the background.  The program is free and the script is deceptively simple:

Code:
SetKeyDelay, 0,50
^Enter::
   send {Ctrl down}
   Sleep 50
   send {Backspace}
   Sleep 50
   send {Ctrl up}
   Sleep 50
   Send {Enter}
   Sleep, 60000
   Send {Enter}
   send {Ctrl down}
   Sleep 50
   send {Backspace}
   Sleep 50
   send {Ctrl up}
   Sleep 50
Return

By the way, extra mouse buttons like forward and backwards could be used for hotkeys or any other macros.  What a waste almost nobody exploits them.

Recently I've discovered how exciting real-time without pausing can be!  I really love the 3 hour quick battles with two or three platoons for each side.  I like to take my time and think, but the real-time pressures actually makes for a better game!

Sorry, I'm getting way off topic here . . .

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:01:34 PM by Capt Sam » Logged
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2012, 10:57:23 PM »

There is a new Summer/Winter uniform mod for this game made by Night Postman.

I will post the link on this forum shortly as soon as I find it again.It's in Russian but basically you just need to type in the CAPCHA number and save the link to your game folder and install the same way as a DLC.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: