Graviteam
May 06, 2024, 01:11:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New To SF42  (Read 5526 times)
Boom
Oberleutnant

« on: April 23, 2012, 12:12:02 AM »

Greetings all,

Just obtained a copy of Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942, and am coming to terms with it. Brilliant! Given that I've only ever flown sims eg RB3D, EAW, MiG Alley, BoB, IL-2 series etc, it's quite a change of pace.

Currently doing the tutorials, but am having a problem with the gunnery one (second). Can't fire the main gun. I found an old thread on the subject -
http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=186.0

and it's mentioned that if you don't complete the first task i.e. machine gun the infantry, you can't progress onto the second; which is to blow up an anti-tank gun. Now I'm sure I've achieved the first, after all I get the message to progress onto destroying the AT gun at Point #2. But even though I follow the on screen instructions, when I press the spacebar or LMB, nothing happens.

So what am I missing? Cheers.  Smiley

Panzerfaust
Generalmajor

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:11:34 AM »

Welcome to the Graviteam forums Boom. First things first are you playing the stock version of SFK42 or the SFK42 with SPM 1.5 Ultimate Update version? If you are playing the stock version of SFK42 I highly suggest you read over the sticky titled "List of User Made Missions" by Esnische and the sticky "SPM 1.5 ultimate update released!-Discussion" by Mistwalker. But in either version (If i remember correctly) you need to tell the loader to chamber a round. In the original SFK42 gunnery tutorial the only round you can select is a training submunition round. I don't remember which key it is (I believe it's the "1" key) but you need to press "R" afterwards to tell the loader to chamber that round. In the original SFK42 the tank used for your tutorials is the Matilda and it only fires the training round. In SPM 1.5 Beta the Matilda has been swapped out for the T-34 and all ammo round types are available (AP/HE/Shrapnel), makes the "training" more interesting  Wink Also you will appreciate the T-34 when you do the driving tutorial part as the Matilda is a real dog
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:30:52 AM by Panzerfaust » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:47:29 AM »

Another thing about the Matilda gunnery tutorial - the number of tank shells is zero at the start of the mission. The ammunition is replenished in mid-mission (after the infantry massacre).
However, if you deviate from the given path, or issue any movement orders, the re-supply won't happen.  It's a known 'feature'  Cheesy

By the way, the shells won't have any visible effect on the targets - you're only required to hit every one of them,
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:18:31 AM by Kyth » Logged

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
Boom
Oberleutnant

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:53:45 AM »

However, if you deviate from the given path, or issue any movement orders, the re-supply won't happen.  It's a known 'feature'  Cheesy

Ahhh that could have something to do with it.

Cheers guys.

P.S. Yes I'm still on the stock game, thought I would try to become familiar with the game operation before I start dabbling in mods. And your absolutely right about the Matilda being rather slow. Had a damnable hard time getting across the tank trap in the driving tutorials.   Smiley
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 06:50:55 AM »

P.S. Yes I'm still on the stock game, thought I would try to become familiar with the game operation before I start dabbling in mods. And your absolutely right about the Matilda being rather slow. Had a damnable hard time getting across the tank trap in the driving tutorials.   Smiley

The moral of that particular lesson - sometimes you have to drive around the obstacle  Smiley

"Yes."
Boom
Oberleutnant

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 07:33:17 AM »

Now ya tell me!   Roll Eyes In the tutorial the advice was to build up as much speed as possible. Bone jarring to say the least.  Smiley
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 06:26:34 AM »

It's best to skip the tutorials and go straight to the basic missions.The learning curve in SF ain't that steep!
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 07:37:55 AM »

Different strokes for different folks.  Smiley
I, for one, have fond memories of those Matilda tutorials, the first indication that the game had some depth and potential. 

The scripting of the lessons is of a better quality than most of the other stock missions. Something I found out later, after wondering why many of the stock missions were a little lack-lustre.

"Yes."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: