Graviteam
May 04, 2024, 11:58:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Limit battle radius  (Read 21593 times)
Lerch
Oberleutnant

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2014, 01:06:59 AM »

I have a feeling going to more realistic troop levels per square kilometer is going to be a problem and maybe end up ruining this game for me in the long run.

While I like the idea of large battles being represented for this game,the management aspect is getting to be a real chore.
I don't buy any of these DLCs for the large campaigns.
I buy them for the large maps and new content to use in my Quick Battles.

There are too many units to manage in a 3x3 Km battle area now for campaigns!
Even with limited battle radius I find the battles hard to manage.
I also would like to see a way to break these battles down to smaller and more managable proportions.

I'd rather have 20 smaller battles per turn than 7 or 8.
When we have to start scrolling right or left to cycle through all the units under your control during a battle-That is too many!

I don't like putting anything under AI management except the individual soldiers in the squad.
Otherwise I like being every platoon/company/battalion leader in a battle and giving orders to the individual squads myself without pausing every minute to do so.

This is one of the other reasons I don't play the larger campaigns much with this game anymore and if I do I very rarely finish them.
I'm not a fan of any battles involving more than a company to manage.

The campaigns are getting to be a major draw back for me in this game and I'm starting to get frustrated with the way the game is morphing to adjust to the ever increasing unit density on the battlefield area now and how it's starting to effect the way I normally use to play Quick Battles.

I'm not looking for a WW2 version of Wargame:Air Land Battle.
The Shilovo map(One of my favorite maps so far) has become strictly a QB DLC for me and I never finished any of the campaigns because of all the units to manage for each battle.

Most the people I've noticed who ask for all these units in a battle for the campaigns make a couple stabs at the campaigns then put the game aside and wait till the next campaign DLC comes out.
I play this game regularly(almost daily) but not for the campaigns and  larger battles.

I prefer keeping my camera at ground level as much as possible.
With the larger forces I'm moving the camera higher and higher into the sky and the immersiveness fades after that.
I don't want to be a regimental or battalion commander in this game.
I like being the company or platoon commander,which is why I mainly play quick battles.

I will usually try the campaigns once but after that 90% of my replay time for this game is strictly for QBs and the immersiveness that only managing company or platoon sized units offers.
It's a shame to have all this detail at ground level and have to keep your camera in the clouds and not be able to experience it during gameplay.

This game shines the most at ground level for me and I'm afraid I will lose interest in the newer version of this game if it strays too far from what we have now.I hope GTOS isn't going to be the only game from Graviteam I spend all my time playing in the future.

I welcome the addition of a QB editor to share missions with other players and intend to use it but not for making large battles involving anything more than a company for the player to manage.

100% agree.

When I play this game, no matter what battle radius size or amount of units involved, I only focus on  managing a single platoon.  I assign hotkeys to each squad, team, or tank in that platoon.  For any other platoons in the battle, I assign a hotkey for the ENTIRE platoon, put them under AI control, and give general orders like "march here" or "attack there." 

In other words, no matter how large the force size in a game, I am only managing a single platoon.  I honestly don't have the skill to control more than a few units at a time.  When it comes to the other platoons, I pause the game and give general orders if needed, trusting the AI to do the best it can.

My platoon is always commanded in real time.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:29:29 AM by Lerch » Logged
Santini
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2014, 02:40:45 AM »

Seconded.
I max out at about a company, and even then I do bounding moves, at the platoon level.

That's the other reason adjustable radius would be nice. 3x2 and 2x2 is perfect for company vs company combat
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: