Graviteam
May 04, 2024, 08:38:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: General modding questions and answers  (Read 20510 times)
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2014, 02:31:25 AM »

I have a few questions to you Flash.
First of all, do you by any chance know how to convert an OBJ model to an in-game asset? I'm thinking weapons, tanks, etc. What file format does GTOS accept?
Are there any caveats?

Second of all, what about vehicle components? Are they but a simple separate meshes like in Theatre of War? How can I indicate that a certain area is an engine or a crew room for example? Is there some kind of naming convention I should follow?

And most importantly, how do extract I meshes from the game and convert it to a format readable by all of 3D programs (OBJ perhaps)? And how do I extract files containing their animation data?

I'd be grateful for any info you can provide.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2014, 06:49:12 AM »

I have a few questions to you Flash.
First of all, do you by any chance know how to convert an OBJ model to an in-game asset? I'm thinking weapons, tanks, etc. What file format does GTOS accept?
Are there any caveats?

Second of all, what about vehicle components? Are they but a simple separate meshes like in Theatre of War? How can I indicate that a certain area is an engine or a crew room for example? Is there some kind of naming convention I should follow?

And most importantly, how do extract I meshes from the game and convert it to a format readable by all of 3D programs (OBJ perhaps)? And how do I extract files containing their animation data?

I'd be grateful for any info you can provide.

That is a HUGE question.  Cheesy  For Gtos or sabow you need to convert mesh to the x format.  So how to do that 1st bit depends on what software.  Hopefully Panda exporter will work for it.  But there are others.  The X format if memory serves is an MS created deal intended for direct x crap....or most games.  I know of no way to export from go2 to well anything. But never tried.  Probably need that vile ripping software. 

I have never popped the hood to TOW.   So no idea as far as an analog.  BUT for gtos most things are handled by simple geometry of areas like an engine.  Make a simple out line of the thing or just the right sized box and your good to go.  Well if the config is written right.  armor values are handled by simple grey scale texture applied over model.  You say the min and max armor of vehicle and do a little math to figure out what that would conform too in grey scale and paint the model using uvw mapping.  So the vehicle models generally have 3 LOD levels.  And the physical level that contains all these hit box areas and dummy's. 

Best way to learn this stuff is to start with a simple infantry gun or object.  Although a fixed machine gun like my m2hb is a good place to start.  Vehicles are just way more complex simple fixed guns.  SO you do a fixed machine gun then understanding a vehicle is WAY more easy. 

Yabba dabba do
dog
Oberleutnant

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2014, 02:06:32 AM »

Have people made any significant progress figuring out the campaign editor?  I was working on a .NET application that helps one make the order of battle, but stopped working on it for awhile and now I can't remember how any of this works. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: