Graviteam
May 05, 2024, 07:59:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Object editor in trouble! Looking for help!  (Read 14275 times)
yl9961027
Oberstleutnant

« on: January 01, 2012, 09:07:11 AM »

Happy New Year guys! Grin

I use the object editor is in trouble.

1.When I press the F9 key to converting .x files, the text file cannot be generated. Then the system will jump out of the dialog box that prompts "the system can not find the path specified". At the same time generate a Notepad file, but nothing inside, it is blank. But the .x file was successfully converted to a .go file, also be open by the object editor. What's wrong? Huh?

2.Vehicles import tutorial said: model must have 1 chunk - name it - "d_obj" I don't quite understand. Whose name is "d_obj"? The converted .go file?Or .x file?

3.Where can I find detailed vehicles script editing tutorial?

歯車には歯車の意地がある
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »

Hi yl9961027 I am a little out of my depth here.Your best bet is to PM Iceman he is one of the game's developers and might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Happy New year!
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 10:54:53 AM »

Happy New Year guys! Grin

I use the object editor is in trouble.

1.When I press the F9 key to converting .x files, the text file cannot be generated. Then the system will jump out of the dialog box that prompts "the system can not find the path specified". At the same time generate a Notepad file, but nothing inside, it is blank. But the .x file was successfully converted to a .go file, also be open by the object editor. What's wrong? Huh?

I suspect the program is trying to write a log-file to a folder that doesn't exist. Other than that I think everything's fine,

2.Vehicles import tutorial said: model must have 1 chunk - name it - "d_obj" I don't quite understand. Whose name is "d_obj"? The converted .go file?Or .x file?

'd_obj' refers to a fragment in the .x file, which carries over to the .go file after conversion. It's the main chunk / fragment in stationary objects.

For vehicles, the main chunk or fragment is 'db_hull'. Take a close look at the side-bar in this screenshot:

3.Where can I find detailed vehicles script editing tutorial?

There's more information at the 'sukhoi.ru' forum.
http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=52974

Here's a Google translation:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sukhoi.ru%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D52974&sl=ru&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Good luck,

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
yl9961027
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 02:43:01 PM »

Hi yl9961027 I am a little out of my depth here.Your best bet is to PM Iceman he is one of the game's developers and might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Happy New year!
This is a good idea. Grin

歯車には歯車の意地がある
yl9961027
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »

'd_obj' refers to a fragment in the .x file, which carries over to the .go file after conversion. It's the main chunk / fragment in stationary objects.

For vehicles, the main chunk or fragment is 'db_hull'.
I have got 'db_hull'.  Do you mean I'm going to rename it to "d_obj"?

歯車には歯車の意地がある
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 03:32:05 PM »

One object, like "db_hull" is quite OK to start working in object editor and import model in the game. Of course, only for testing to have a look how it does. Than u've to add additional chanks(in 3dmax/object editor) to give a life to the model.

Provocative signature removed
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 03:41:50 PM »

No, there's no need to.

For vehicles, the main chunk / fragment is 'db_hull'.

"Yes."
yl9961027
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »

I see!
Thank you very mach! Cheesy

歯車には歯車の意地がある
yl9961027
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »

Hi! guys!
There are new trouble! I have converted files. I open the file with the editor object, then use Numpad "+" and "-" to cycle through LODs. LODs1 and LODs2 are fine. But the LODs3 there are many fragment missing. Is this normal? Huh?

歯車には歯車の意地がある
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 05:34:45 PM »

Hi! guys!
There are new trouble! I have converted files. I open the file with the editor object, then use Numpad "+" and "-" to cycle through LODs. LODs1 and LODs2 are fine. But the LODs3 there are many fragment missing. Is this normal? Huh?
Mostly LODS2 is decreased to ~30% and LOD3 is decreased to ~50% of polygons, imho. LODS3 should has less polygons in twice time to compare to LODS1. So, as my point, it's OK if u lost some fragments in LODS3. It does that LODS3 model will have less polygons at the distance 500m and more.

ps
Could u be pleased to place some pictures during er LODS creating? That would be really interesting to have a look how the model will have a three LODS.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:44:46 PM by lockie » Logged

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »

Hi! guys!
Mostly LODS2 is decreased to ~30% and LOD3 is decreased to ~50% of polygons, imho. LODS3 should has less polygons in twice time to compare to LODS1. So, as my point, it's OK if u lost some fragments in LODS3. It does that LODS3 model will have less polygons at the distance 500m and more.

And also, try not to exceed the maximum of 65536 vertices,

"Yes."
yl9961027
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 02:00:58 AM »

Thank you for your help!
I also found a strange phenomenon. When I see other models(Those who have imported models, such as Tiger, panther, IS2 and so on.) with the object editor, I find that most models have only one LOD. When I press the + key, nothing out of sight. Only a few models with three LODs, such as Pz4, t-26, t-34/76 and so on. Huh?

歯車には歯車の意地がある
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 02:21:46 AM »

All the original tanks and vehicles had 3 LOD's, sadly most modders didn't include them when adding in new tanks.
You might notice that the game slows down a little, with the new models.

Also it isn't easy to keep them within the 65536-vertice limit, so that may be another reason for only one LOD.

"Yes."
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 05:04:51 PM »

Not doing a second or third LOD is just what...the lazyness of the 3D modder. Sad but true.
Or a so called 3D modder has no clue about real 3D modelling and steal the stuff from other games. So if you don´t know how the model was made you don´t have a clue how to reduce polygons not to mention that the best way for the second and 3rd LOD is doing them from scratch.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:27:24 PM by Rends » Logged

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 08:10:10 PM »

I have exactly the same problem as yl, it cant write the log file and i also got lots of chunks missing when going throu the LOD:s Thats why i didnt bother with lods. Its more trouble to make it work than the gain from it ^^

The real heroes are those that never came back.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »

I have exactly the same problem as yl, it cant write the log file and i also got lots of chunks missing when going throu the LOD:s Thats why i didnt bother with lods. Its more trouble to make it work than the gain from it ^^
Well you might have no problem with objects not using LODs but people with not so fast PCs can have trouble with it.
That´s one reason why so many usermade missions crash on my low end system.
Using no LODs mean not only stressing cpu power the models also use the same hires texture even if they are far away.

Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »

true dat Rends. Its not really so much extra work on the modelling part to make LOD:s but i cant export the models to fully working .go:s Sad

So yl, if you figure out whats wrong on our tries plz share. I want to test making 3 LOD:s on the Jagdpanzer!

The real heroes are those that never came back.
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 09:27:50 PM »

Using no LODs mean not only stressing cpu power the models also use the same hires texture even if they are far away.
I'm not sure about "hires texture", coz *.dds file has a lot of small pictures. That's why I think the game engine pick up a smaller one instead original.

Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 10:32:56 PM »

Donken, well i´ve made 3d models for a couple of other games (Fighter Squadron, StarWars Battlefront Series, Red Orchestra) but not for Steel Fury so i´m no help here to check what could be wrong.

lockie, that might be true for the original stuff but i checked a couple of SPM units and there are 2048res dds files only with one texture and the needed bump files but no smaller ones.

lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 10:49:12 PM »

lockie, that might be true for the original stuff but i checked a couple of SPM units and there are 2048res dds files only with one texture and the needed bump files but no smaller ones.
Could u be more detailed what the units has a wrong texture? It's very easy to fix. For example, I picked up a first tank Pz-38 and texture was OK.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: