Graviteam
May 10, 2024, 07:07:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: I Absolutely HATE The Way Games Are Saved  (Read 16524 times)
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 11:13:30 PM »

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean here. Will we be able to save to a slot that we can rename to load a qb from any point? i.e. Save a battle during deployment so I can go back and tweak things a little? Or save during battle to a slot where I can replay from that point?
Will be able to save qb as mission and back to editor from it (not from battle).
But some improvements of placement and other game aspects will reduce the need to save / load during the battle.

No rename, no slots, no replays.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 11:25:27 PM »

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean here. Will we be able to save to a slot that we can rename to load a qb from any point? i.e. Save a battle during deployment so I can go back and tweak things a little? Or save during battle to a slot where I can replay from that point?
Will be able to save qb as mission and back to editor from it (not from battle).
But some improvements of placement and other game aspects will reduce the need to save / load during the battle.

This part I don't understand. Is it philosophical or a shortcoming of the engine? I'm failing to find a good reason why you wouldn't want players to be able to go back during a QB? If a player could save the game they wouldn't have to go through all the time deploying units especially if we could add units after deploying to rebalance things. Granted, that last part might need quite a bit of coding or maybe it wouldnt, but think of the time saved and the wide range of battles created where units could be deployed, the game saved and shared with others.

As it is now to find out that one side could use another platoon you have to deploy, go through some of the battle to see how balanced it is, exit add unit, deploy. go through some of the battle, exit, deploy etc.etc.

Besides, one of the biggest balancing effects is from deployment. QB creators would love the ability to lock certain units in place. Saving to slot after deployment would allow that.

Does the engine hamstring what could be a huge improvement in QB's?
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 01:27:30 AM »

I think what Andrey is saying is that the QB editor will allow a person to set up a QB and save the game.
Hopefully there will be a seperate button for this in the QB editor and we don't have to screw with any config files and the file will get sent to its own QB Save game file.
You should then be able to upload the file to a host site and other players will be able download and add it to their game and play it from that point.

For instance lets say I set up a QB and then set up the defense for that battle.  I can then save from there and then anyone who downloads this file can play as the attacker against my defensive set up and the AI will defend from the positions chosen by me.

Something like the way campaign mods are uploaded to the internet only used for QBs.

Andrey is alluding to the fact that this concept is still in its infancy and depending on the popularity of this feature will be refined more in the future.

As long as it is simple to use I think it will be popular for some of us at least.
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 07:00:58 PM »

Well maybe one day the QB area can get some attention.

Think of the possibilities if you could do the deploy for each side and save it so other players could play from that point. Some units could be locked. Others would be free to arrange etc.

If nothing else a save slot to retry battles from a certain point in the QB's cant be that hard to put in. Almost every game/simulation has it. It seems like Andreys reluctance to do so is because it somehow cheapens the thing with load reload. I understand that he wants his campaigns to be like that and that is fine. But can we at least hear a good reason why qb's have to be so restricted?
Santini
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 08:16:29 PM »

Btw, if anyone needs help creating save "slots" using jgsme let me know and I can hep
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »

Btw, if anyone needs help creating save "slots" using jgsme let me know and I can hep

Can you clarify to this layman what that means?
Santini
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 10:27:59 PM »

Can you clarify to this layman what that means?

Not sure if it is the same as it was in Achtung Panzer Kharkov, but you can set up your user directory as a mod in jonesoft generic mod enabler, and use that to swap saves in and out, artificially creating the save slot system that andrey refuses to add
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: