Graviteam
May 05, 2024, 08:16:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: T-35 and common_units.engcfg bug  (Read 9883 times)
POW
Major

« on: April 09, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »

I tried the T-35 tank with the t-35 in attack mission. It was great. And very nice model.

But the included file "common_units.engcfg" must have an error, since i can't play with the ferdinand when i'm using that file (CTD, white screen)

I'm a newbie and i can't detect where is the error, please somebody fix it.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 02:40:33 PM »

The T-35 mission is an experimental thing, not really compatible with other mods.  The "common_units.engcfg" and other common files included with the mission introduce a crap-load of other unnecessary stuff, such as new airplanes (!!! Angry)  which could be interfering with the Elephant.

It might be best to temporarily disable the T-35 mission in JSGME, or have a separate install for it,

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
POW
Major

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »

I don't use Generic Mod enabler. I unpack to a temporaly folder and then i overwrite the data.
I know the problem is in the "common_units.engcfg" included in the T-35 pack because i checked one by one all the files (starting a new game every time). If i don't use that file there is no CTD (but i can't use the T-35). The problem is that i like both tanks. Yes, i noticed the size is much bigger and it's only introducing 3 new tanks (Marder 1 y 2 and T-35), but i didn't know about the planes.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 04:58:25 PM »

Yeah there are new German , British and Soviet planes which they are going to use for an Avia mod eventually may be to go with an Alpha release of SP 1.5.  Re your problem one thing you could try could be to disenable 1.
5 in your JGSME and then re-enable it.It should cause Beta' s files to overwrite the T35 mod 's files.Then you could re-install the T35 mod but this time through the mod enabler rather than the way you have been doing it.
POW
Major

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 05:13:39 PM »

I know for sure the problem is in the two files "common_res.engcfg" and "common_units.engcfg" ncluded in tbe T-35 pack.

I don't like Generic mod enabler because if i use it then i  don't have control over the files being updated and i don't know which files are being updated and overwrited. I like to know what files are updated so I made a zip file that included all the files from Unofficial patch, SP 1.5, SP patch, translation, and kyth missions.

In 3 minutes i can have a fresh install of SF with all the mods enabled so i don't need genereic mod enabler (i have do it a few times cause i like to mess with the files and see what happens).

BTW, i have a backup of the "common_res.engcfg" and "common_units.engcfg" files used before i installed the T-35 pack and if i revert back to those files the elephant work (but the t-35 no - of course)
POW
Major

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »

I solved the problem.
Edited "common_res.engcfg" and "common_units.engcfg" from my previous installation (before i added the t-35 mission and model pack) and added the T-35 and marder 1 y 2 data in the two files, and now everything works again. Must be something related to the rest of garbage data (planes and those things). BTW, what's the meaning of adding planes if they are not playables??
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 12:06:10 AM »

Yeah there are new German , British and Soviet planes which they are going to use for an Avia mod eventually may be to go with an Alpha release of SP 1.5. 

I for one, hope they keep it as a separate mod. As it is, there's plenty of clutter in the common files already  Sad

And already some of the choices seem odd - seems there are four models of the Tiger I already?? (Tiger, "TigerSS", Captured Tiger, Static Object Tiger).
And there are 17 unit entries in the editor, for the Panzer 38(t) variants and all their possible combinations - does anyone actually use them??

It just seems like a lot of wasted effort.  Okay, finished my rant Angry

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 05:26:18 AM »

The planes are playable.They even made a mission which consists of attacking a German airfield and destroying the aircrafts o n the ground. The airplanes are supposed to be operationals and you can actually put them in the ME.However they cannot be shot down so although I donwloaded the mod I did not install it because it kills the realism not to be able to bring the planes down.

You can install SF in 3 mionutes???You CD is that fast?

I make multiple installs but by copying and then putting all my games and their variants on an external hard disc(1 terabyte) and just pasting them wherever I want. It takes more time but I get a working copy ready to rock and roll and my games are backed-up just in case.

Happy you solved your problem!

Kyth more Panzer IVs on the way?Huh???
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 07:51:29 AM »

Coming up, working on it  Grin

"Yes."
POW
Major

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 09:04:31 AM »

Coming up, working on it  Grin

I hope someday you make something with the elepahnt or the Jagdpanther. It's too bad there are no missions for those beautiful beasts :-(
About the tank variants... i think they have to do it that way to include different skins for those tanks (there are missions for two different tigers, i mean tanks with different skins). But they didn't did it for the desert variants (i mean they should do tank variants that use the desert skins. That way it's possible to have the desert misssions without overwriting the skins of the east front missions)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:09:41 AM by POW » Logged
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »

BTW, what's the meaning of adding planes if they are not playables??
They're playable, but I didn't include all of them. It'd be to much for the one mission. Partly, one IL-2 was included into mission "T-38: tank-scout".

Provocative signature removed
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 01:51:16 AM »

And there are 17 unit entries in the editor, for the Panzer 38(t) variants and all their possible combinations - does anyone actually use them??

Don't get me wrong, I love the Pz 38(t) but I think 5 entries in the Mission Editor would be good enough to represent the type - that's why the 'Random' section is there in the common file.

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 06:28:53 AM »

I was wondering too why is that tank so popular that so many variants and combinations have been introduced in the ME?Event the T34 seems to be less well doted, not to mention my dear Panzer IV which seems stuck with 2 variants only.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 07:07:45 AM »

I was wondering too why is that tank so popular that so many variants and combinations have been introduced in the ME?Event the T34 seems to be less well doted, not to mention my dear Panzer IV which seems stuck with 2 variants only.

Most likely a lack of editorial oversight, and that's why I am uneasy about the prospect of seeing airplanes in the final SPM1.5.

While I could live with endless variations of Pz 38t, I sure wouldn't want to wade through dozens of airplane types cluttering up the order of battle  Sad
And for what purpose? Sure it's fun to turn the tables on the 'flying tormentors' for a while - but after a few laughs and the novelty wears out, does it actually add anything to the game? (which I think is a tank-sim, first and foremost). I'd try to get rid of them after a few minutes, which is tough to do if it's bundled together with the rest of SPM 1.5.

I'd rather see them as a separate 'mod' (I use the term quite loosely), the same way I'd rather see UFO's, transformer robots and purple dinosaurs as separate "mods" to SF - interesting novelties to observe once or twice, then to be deactivated immediately.

Sorry about the ranting! The topic really ticks me off for some reason. Now, back to my normal, cheerful self.  Grin

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »

Kyth you actually blew your top!!!! Grin

I don' t agree with you though as planes do have a role to play in this sim as cpontrol of the skies did play an important factor in German victories and later in the Soviets regaining lost ground through depriving the Wehrmacht of this important ally and even gaining control of the air  at the expense of the Panzer waffe in the last year of the war.While it was not near as important a factor as on the West front airplanes did play a major role in the East.

What I dislike about the aircraft factor is the inability to shoot them down and to repell air strikes...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:13:36 PM by frinik » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 03:51:02 AM »

What I dislike about the aircraft factor is the inability to shoot them down and to repell air strikes...

And that, I think, is the reason why it's pointless to add in more aircraft types, apparently the game AI can't handle such basic tactics.
From the point of view of WW2 tankers, they're most likely to encounter, in close proximity, ground-attack planes like the Il-2 and Ju-87, which are already represented in the game... Other fighter and bomber planes are going to be thousands of meters up in the air...

How likely is it they'd be caught on the ground? There're not a lot of historical examples... one of them involved Ju-52 transport planes taken by surprise (apparently not yet included in the 'mod').  Roll Eyes

"Yes."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: