Graviteam
May 04, 2024, 09:07:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Off-map artillery  (Read 5749 times)
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« on: May 20, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »

Is it possible to order off-map artillery to increase the spread? With each salvo fired, the artillery concentrates more and more on a single point/line and there are times where I'd rather benefit more from the opposite.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:40:44 PM »

Not sure what it is your asking for here.
You have point or linear target reference points.
If you want area suppression that would be rocket artillery.

If you want to adjust your TRPs then you will have to move them.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:12:42 PM by Dane49 » Logged
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 11:54:10 PM »

"Dispersion" is the correct term I think. Sorry for not being clear. I'm replaying the Fall Blau campaign, now with the newest March patch, and I'm being completely overrun by endless waves of German infantry. Point and line TRPs have accuracy up to 60 meters and that's way, way to accurate to stop or suppress the vast ocean of incoming enemy soldiers. Shocked
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 12:10:40 AM »

The only thing I can think of suggesting is cancel your current mission and readjust your TRP and call for all shells.The new mission will disperse your shells initially and if you don't move the TRP to far from your initial reference point the new mission should start falling in 30-50 seconds also try to get some area fire in there from somewhere to help suppress the attacking infantry and make them go to ground before the new arty mission starts to fall.
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 12:06:04 AM »

What a battle!

My operational plan was to withdraw as much troops from the Odincov village as possible and move them towards the east to meet up with tank reinforcements.
The major battle took place in 3-6 to 4-7 (2x2 square) and man... it was bloody!!! I had one medium tank platoon with three T-34 tanks, three+ infantry platoons and one ATG (ZIS-3) platoon plus one company command platoon (or reg.cmd.) with arty spotter (full ammo).

I deployed most of my troops (and all tanks) on a slope in high vegetation, facing a slope from which the enemy were supposed to come. Another platoon was covering the flank at SE.
And the enemy came... mostly from the slope, but some from the direct east (where a young forest is located, I think). Oh man, there were hundreds of them, Jerries. Supported by AT LEAST two 5cm PAKs and one leIG.
Luckily, my arty spotter had perfect LOS over all battlefield, so I could quickly change artillery targets with only minor penalties. I was not only able to quickly switch fire to suppress enemy infantry, but also there were two times when I managed to knock out both enemy 5cm PAKs with rapid (~40s) and very accurate artillery fire. Too bad the spotting team was eventually wiped out by enemy HE arty shells, but I'm not sure it's because the arty spotters were in close vicinity to one of my tanks (pure chance) or the enemy spotted my... spotters. Smiley

The battle was very intense. German troops somehow managed to crawl very close to trenches occupied by my infantry so there was a lot of point-blank combat going on.
Both sides took VERY heavy casualties. And while my squads and lightly damaged tanks managed to pull back to safer positions (they could barely be named "squads" as at that time they all were only one, up to four men teams...), the enemy was almost completely eliminated.

Oh, and by the end of the battle, every single squad on my side was completely out of ammunition. Tanks included (DT ammo too!)! Cheesy (The battle was 1hr long).

What struck me at this point is the suicidal doctrine of the enemy AI. The attack reminded me of human waves of Chinese infantry in the Korean War. I've read quite a lot of WW2 books and (unless I'm wrong) from what I remember, I'm fairly sure that if an attacker sustained more than 30% casualties, the attack was called a failure and troops were pulled back. Yet here I see the attacker taking 90%+ casualties and still attacking like a fanatic. Have you noticed this guys? Single soldiers from decimated squads assaulting nearby trenches? Things like that happening are weird. I mean, I quickly browsed the statistics after the battle, and more than 90% of the enemy was gone. GONE.  Shocked

The battle ended up with a draw.

P.S. I lost the operation. Next time I'll follow the "Not a single step backwards" doctrine. Cheesy
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:37:23 AM »

Yeah,
The AI can be pretty fanatical but I'll bet a lot of players are too and have no problems throwing their little pixel troops lives away to press home an assault.

Do you have you battle settings to 1 hour?
I find if you increase the battle time to 2-3 hours the AI is a bit more cautious and doesn't take the direct and immediate approach to accomplish its objectives and will even call off a failing attack and try to come from a different direction if allowed the extra time.
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 01:29:48 AM »

I set 1hr for daylight battles and when I see the night coming, I change it to 30 mins. 2-3 hrs are too much waiting time for me, unfortunately. Even at 6x time (that can come to a crawl even on a 3930K system, when a shitload of AI units are taking part in a battle). Sad
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:32:02 AM by Lemonade » Logged
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 01:56:44 AM »

Well that's my take on why the AI seems fanatical in some battles.
These battles are supposedly taking place in real time(3 hrs per battle)and I think if the battles are compressed into a smaller time frame the AI has to throw caution to the wind to accomplish its mission within the new parameters set by the player and the AI has no choice but to take the fastest and easiest route to its objectives regardless of casualties and safer avenues of approach.
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 02:48:39 AM »

I think that something's wrong with the AI.
I remember some of you folks saying 2-3 hrs battles are far too long because both the AI and player units run out of ammunition very quickly. Some of you suggested to turn down TAC battle time down to 1 hr, and I did
so. And I admit, that 1hr battles are much more fun to play that 2+ hr ones. From the player's view, they almost felt like the AI was accommodating to that change. It reacted quicker, first contact was sooner and all...

But suicidal tactics?

When I'm attacking and I clearly see that it's not worth it, I direct my troops to a safe location with another (future) plan in my mind, after my troops regroup. The AI seems to think differently. WE REACH THE GOAL AT ALL COSTS OR WE ALL DIE. And they die. It's disturbing and my simple wish Andrey + team taking more attention to the AI mechanics.

Best Regards.
Lemonade for all soldiers! F* the Coke!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: