Graviteam
May 06, 2024, 10:57:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steel Fury won't start  (Read 12682 times)
Shyhawk
Oberleutnant

« on: April 05, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »

The demo works fine on my machine, but after downloading the game from Gamersgate and installing it, I can't get the game to start. I've read similar posts here, so I'm still trying to feel around for the problem. My computer specs are Intel Core i7, 4 G RAM, Nvidia GS 250 with 1 G RAM. My OS is Win 7 32 bit Home Premium version (Korean). I read the post about switching the unicode to English, but I tried that and it had no effect, plus the demo runs fine on this system. I tried installing at C: intead of programs, I tried granting administration rights. I'm not sure what else to do. I know the game I downloaded is intact because I installed it on my old laptop with Vista (English), and the game runs, but the graphics configuration doesn't allow the game to actually be played on the laptop.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »

Hi Shyhawk!

A guy(Hemisent) ran into the same problem on the subsimHQ forum after downloading thez game from Gamersgate or some other dowloading outfit. He finally solved his problem that way( I have pasted his post from that forum for your perusal below:(basically he downloaded the game again as the first download was not entirely complete):

SUCCESS AT LAST!!! sort of

Here's the latest question in this saga. My friend and I downloaded the game at his place last night using his connection on my computer. 35 minutes later it successfully completed, we installed it successfully. The game started on my rig and ran just fine...no issues, I'm happy at last.

Just out of curiosity we checked the game contents looking for the previously missing setup.exe file. It's not there. We checked his computer that originally was used a couple weeks ago...no setup.exe either. I compared the screen shot of Kyth's game contents earlier in this thread and it matches perfectly except for the setup.exe.

Hope this can solve your problem,t
Shyhawk
Oberleutnant

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:25:31 PM »

But the game I downloaded does work on my laptop--at least it runs. There aren't any graphics once into the game as the laptop's graphics card won't work with the game. I'm trying to figure out why it won't run on my desktop.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 02:35:36 PM »

Have you tried uninstalling the demo, then reinstalling the game?

Also, I have a hunch that the game has to be downloaded direct to the PC, to get it installed successfully.

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
Shyhawk
Oberleutnant

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »

I installed the game first a few times (first to default, then to C:, then with unicode set for English, then without, etc.) before I installed the demo again (I had previously tried the demo before buying the game and it worked, so I downloaded the demo again when the game wouldn't load for comparison). I don't know what you mean by downloading direct. The game downloads and installs OK, but it won't start. As I also said, I downloaded and installed the same game on my ancient laptop and the game actually starts up, but unfortunately the integrated graphics card on the laptop won't handle the game. I tried it with the game set for XP in its various permutations, no go. It seems that in at least one setting I saw a glimpse of a file appear on the Windows start at the bottom of my screen but then nothing. Don't know if that's significant, but no attempt has yielded the game.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:25:15 AM »

I don't know what you mean by downloading direct.

I'd suggest downloading the package to your desktop PC, then installing the game there.

Other than that, try looking at your Antivirus Protection, maybe it's interfering with the installation / running of the game?

Some other things:
- Update video / sound drivers
- Install DirectX 9

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 02:36:35 AM »

You have intel integrated graphics or something very low end graphics? Did you check the read me text that comes with the game? It lists all kind of graphic cards SF won't work with. Have you tried setting the compatibility to windows 95 or 98?

It might be a graphic issue.The game won't work on purely integrated or shared graphics.You need at least 256 mb of DEDICATED graphics.The demo needs less though that may be why it works. What kind of specs do you have?
Shyhawk
Oberleutnant

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 08:24:07 AM »

As I said in the first post, my computer specs are Intel Core i7, 4 G RAM, Nvidia GS 250 with 1 G RAM. My OS is Win 7 32 bit Home Premium version (Korean). I wonder if it's language related, but the demo runs fine on my machine. In fact, I only had one previous problem with language and that was from a Matrix game that wouldn't install without French language. But Steel Fury installs. It just won't start. The demo was exciting, so I was hoping to play the full game. By the way, my other Graviteam game works fine, the Kharkov 1943 operational level game. Nice graphics!
Shyhawk
Oberleutnant

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 08:26:40 AM »

By the way, the virus protection is the same on my desktop as on the laptop (where the game runs but the graphics don't work due to its integrated graphics), so I don't think it's the virus protection. On the desktop, when I try to start the game, I get a very brief flash of a file on the bar at the bottom of my desktop, but nothing else.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »

Ok I misread about the graphic card part.I have the game installed with Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium and no issues with it so I doubt the OS is at fault.I have the same processor that you have.Your graphic card is also more than adequate.My original game was in Russian and that did not cause any problems so language is the unlikely culprit. I wonder if it's not the lack of a setup.exe file problem which plagued another guy on another forum who also got the game from a digital download rather than form a disc.

It's not your computer but definitely something missing in your game.Does your pc come with DirectX11?If yes it may be that you have to re-install DirectX9C as some recent pcs do not have all DirectX -9 dll files required for older games to start.If it's the case I recommend the June 2010 DirectX9C version you can get from Microsoft's website.It's the most complete one available. I did that and all my games - be it sims or rts - work flawlessly.

Are you able to open your game file folder? If yes do you see a setup.exe file inside of it?Do you also see a starter file?
Shyhawk
Oberleutnant

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 12:51:03 PM »

After installing the game, you are given Direct X 9.0c to install, which I did even though supposedly Direct X 11 is supposed to be inclusive. I did look in the game folder and did see a starter file but not a setup.exe file. Yet as I said earlier, the game did install on my laptop and ran (albeit no graphics due to the old laptop's inadequate graphics card. So I don't understand how it works on my laptop (Vista) but not my desktop (Win 7).

One thing to note. As I said earlier, when I click on the desktop icon, I get a brief flash of folder with a reddish orange astericks or star on the corner. It's brief, but now I wonder if that refers to something missing in the game file, and if so, why isn't it there? The laptop's download is exactly the same as the desktop's. Hey, I played the demo again, so I haven't given up yet.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 01:25:58 PM »

Hi,

Have you checked the Gamersgate FAQ? There's a whole bunch of scenarios why your install didn't work, including some I'd never have dreamt of.  Smiley

Try working your way through the list at their site:

http://www.gamersgate.com/info/faq

as I said earlier, the game did install on my laptop and ran (albeit no graphics due to the old laptop's inadequate graphics card. So I don't understand how it works on my laptop (Vista) but not my desktop (Win 7).

The obvious answer is that there're some things on your desktop which aren't present in your laptop (different O/S and more advanced graphic card being just 2 of them).

"Yes."
Shyhawk
Oberleutnant

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 02:16:40 PM »

I did go through the Gamersgate list. Someone on the support team suggested running the game on one core instead of dual core. Not sure how to do that, but is that necessary?
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »

Ok shyhawk I run seevral verisons of the game on my laptop that comes with vista Home Premium 32 bits without issue and as I said with Win 7 on my pc. Thus I don't believe the OS is the problem.

What I do is I make copies of one my game installations say from my laptop ( I have Hem 14 divided between my laptop and pc).Paste it on my external hard drive and then copy it into my oc for example.The game just runs fines exceopt That I have to recreate a new Misison Editor* not difficult I have copies of the bat files  in a folder whcxih I can use just for that).

My suggestiuon to you is make a copy of the entire folder of the install that works on your laptop (hopefully you have an external hard drive?Really useful not to say indispensable)and copy it form your external hard drive onto your pc.Then just try to ru n it and see if it works.If it does it means it's definitely not the OS or antivirus the problem.A missing file being the likely cause.

Otherwise I can always email you a copy of my setup.exe filelike I did for the other guy and you can try to see if it works.

What do you think?
Shyhawk
Oberleutnant

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 09:37:58 PM »

I do have an external hard drive. I'll give it a go. By the way, I installed it on my old Vista desktop that I set up at work (the office computers are crap). The game installs as it does on my home Win 7 desktop, but also doesn't start up. If I were to try a copy of your setup.exe, where do I post my email? Just embed here or is there another place on the forum for exchanging emails?
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 03:14:40 AM »

Shyhawk there's private message function on this forum check the blue tab above which says MY MESSAGES.As long as you are ammeber of the forum( registered) you can PM.Don't post your private email to avoid being spammed to death.
Shyhawk
Oberleutnant

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 11:10:32 AM »

I just want to report that I finally got the game to run by switching the Administration rights for using English instead of my operating system's default language, Korean. Now it's time to start downloading some of the mods... Grin
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 12:28:50 PM »

Welcome in, you'll find plenty of mod discussions here,  Smiley

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 01:05:15 PM »

Well I 'll be damned! The solution was that simple?Huh?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: