Graviteam
May 08, 2024, 10:32:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound Mods - Tank Engine  (Read 5380 times)
scout327
Oberleutnant

« on: October 02, 2012, 10:53:22 PM »

Is there a mod that more accurately represents the engine sounds?
I'm on the Tiger campaign, Pz-VI Ausf. H "Tiger", specifically the Petrovka mission, and
no matter what type of terrain I'm driving over the engine plays in a loop of a 10 second pattern
of the rpms going up then down (with no regard for the actual movement of the tank).
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 02:30:13 AM »

If you are talking about the engine revying up and down like in Tvst when you chnage gears as far as UI know no.I am working on a sound mod( shots/explosions/tracks and engines) but it's still incomplete as I am having a hard time finding appropriate sounds for all the tanks/spgs/vehicles.I have a new sound for the Tiger engine and tracks....
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 02:50:18 AM »

I don't believe it's possible in SF. You see, the game engine is rather old; it doesn't incorporate a method of tying a sound to accelerating or decelerating for the engine, only the "engine running" sound.

To frinik, something to keep in mind; Most German vehicles of a given chassis used the same engines, i.e. the Stug III and Panzer III

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 03:30:12 AM »

Adding to the above:

Each tank uses a base 'engine sound' in its config file, and this is modified by a 'frequency' value to change its pitch. I can't recall at the moment whether there's any variability in the config.

It appears that the Panzer IV and Tiger share the same 'Diesel4' engine sound. The Panzer IV, at least, changes pitch going uphill / downhill, so don't abandon all hope  Smiley

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
murkz
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 06:22:47 AM »

I'm driving over the engine plays in a loop of a 10 second pattern
of the rpms going up then down (with no regard for the actual movement of the tank).

I experienced the same thing when playing the Tiger. As Kyth has pointed out, SF modulates the sound for engine revs and there seem to be two sounds played, engine and pillars, with pillars being the track sound.

We have some Tiger sounds from the MMP mod for TvT (I hoped to add them all for the Tiger engine). I changed the engine sound to the tickover sound we have in MMP, though I had to slow the sound to half the original speed for it to sound good at idle and also added the pillars sound to the track sound we have. I can now drive the Tiger in manual and change gear according the the sound/engine pitch.

On the downside all the wing men also use those sounds, so the Tiger sounds a bit thin now compared to the faked sounds I had originally. A trade off I am happy to make as I like to drive with a manual gearbox.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:27:48 AM by murkz » Logged

scout327
Oberleutnant

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »

Excellent information all, thank you!
This all came about because I've been trying to find a tank sim I can get comfortable with. I tried TvT and got hooked on how well
they did the Tiger's engine. However, there's no real map in TvT and that kills the realism. So I went back to SFK42 and the first thing I noticed was the engine sounds that were "lacking". It's funny because I tried SFK42 for a couple of weeks before I tried TvT and I didn't even notice the engine, I guess I was too busy trying to stay alive Smiley
scout327
Oberleutnant

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 12:02:14 PM »

To frinik, something to keep in mind; Most German vehicles of a given chassis used the same engines, i.e. the Stug III and Panzer III

Panther, Tiger, Tiger II - Maybach HL230!
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 05:52:22 PM »

I know Whu! Which is why I have sounds for the JS2-KV1/85-SU152 family, for the Churchill, the Jagdpanther, the Tiger I and II but I still haven't found the sounds for the T34/SU-85/100/122 family and sounds  I like for the Panzer III/Marders and the Panzer IV families still elude me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: