Graviteam
April 28, 2024, 11:08:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Little Disappointed  (Read 10979 times)
demy1942
Oberleutnant

« on: March 02, 2013, 12:56:37 PM »

Just purchased the game since not many ww2 tank sims out there.  However, it seems that by the year 2013 this game would have an easier method to install patches and other addons.  Furthermore, using all these alternative download programs and addons just turns off the casual player.  I am going to install the unofficial patch - How come no OFFICIAL patch?  If the game crashes and becomes real disappointing as it already has started by the tutorial - the last game purchased - plus all the websites for the patches are no longer active - maybe someone could take those links out of circulation.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »

What is your problem.

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
demy1942
Oberleutnant

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 07:29:08 PM »

Well, I downloaded the game, and then started looking for the patches to bring the game into 2013.  Therefore, I looked around and all the links had me going to a site that no longer exists.  I guess my disappointment revolves around a 2008 game that really has no official patches as we move into 2013.  I buy many games and for the most part after a few years or months official patches come out to make the downloading easier.

I noticed a 2.0 patch but I am unable to load the darn thing from anywhere.  It was in Russian and that's not working for me.  I bought the game from Gamersgate the other day and when loading the game no official version number.

What do you suggest is the next step?  Otherwise, its back to Battlefield 3
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 12:57:27 AM »

demy don't let youurself be put off by the name unofficial patch.it's unofficial it's simply that after the game distributor folded Graviteam made a patch even though they didn't own the rights anymore to provide support.That's why it's called unofficial!If only EA-Origin could provide the same kind of support for BF3 that Graviteam does! Roll Eyes

Now to bring your game to the present there's a sticky called steel panzer mod 2.0 .it's the first on top and it includes a download link that work for the english version and patch. unlike bf3 pc forum this one is friendly and helpful. SF is a fun sim with an active community lots of mods  and missions.While I love BF3 I always go back to SF to enjoy  fun SP gaming.

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 03:23:35 AM »

I noticed a 2.0 patch but I am unable to load the darn thing from anywhere.  It was in Russian and that's not working for me. 

Click the red button for the regular download.

"Yes."
genehaynes
Oberleutnant

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 02:44:03 PM »

DEMY1042,

I also recently purchased the game (from Amazon). Believe it or not, I had the same initial issues as you (i.e. Frustrating driving turtorial and difficulty in loading the patches). However, I would strongly advise you to stay with this Sim. Once you get into it, you'll see it's an awsome sim.

Regarding activating the v2.0 MOD via JSGME, IT CAN TAKE AWHILE, so be patient.

Finally, as stared earlier in this thread, this forum is very helpful. Every question I've had has been answered by veterans of this sim. Just follow their advice and you'll be good to go.
kapulA
Oberst

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »

A word to the wise:
You might as well skip the driving tutorial, as you usually don't have to drive or negotiate ditches like the one in the tut, and especially not in such a hunky underpowered piece of crap like the Matilda - most of the other tanks, like the T-34, Pz IV etc. have much better handling characteristics and don't stall on tiny inclines if you don't have a shitton of intertia working for you.
Personally, I never drive myself, I just give movement orders from either the commander or gunner seat - only exception would be fording rivers, where I sometimes take the wheel and hold forward as the AI can get a bit funky determining which depth is fordable and which isn't, when all it should be doing is going straight.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 04:49:08 AM »

underpowered piece of crap

Hey I like the Matilda. The struggle to drive - It builds character.  Cheesy

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 04:56:45 AM »

The washing machine with a squeaky turret! Roll Eyes
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 04:58:32 PM »

I agree..the tutorial has put people off from playing the game before now.

A word to the wise:
You might as well skip the driving tutorial, as you usually don't have to drive or negotiate ditches like the one in the tut, and especially not in such a hunky underpowered piece of crap like the Matilda - most of the other tanks, like the T-34, Pz IV etc. have much better handling characteristics and don't stall on tiny inclines if you don't have a shitton of intertia working for you.
Personally, I never drive myself, I just give movement orders from either the commander or gunner seat - only exception would be fording rivers, where I sometimes take the wheel and hold forward as the AI can get a bit funky determining which depth is fordable and which isn't, when all it should be doing is going straight.
genehaynes
Oberleutnant

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 06:11:32 PM »

It's kind of funny aboout the driving turtorial. I mean, here's (IMO) probably the best WW2 tank sim on the market, and it's released with a turtorial that will most likely turn off most people before they get into the game. I admit I'm not a marketing expert (40yrs with C&P Tel Co., Bell Atlantic, Verizon, but none in Marketing), but why not make the initial turtorial EASY instead of frustrating (e.g. use a more powerfull tank)?

When I try a new game for the first time I'll more than likely do the turtorials in the listed order. Furthermore, I'm going to pretty much follow the on screen instructions to the letter. Well as many folks have discovered, if you follow the instructions "to the letter" in the Driving turtorial you'll head directly for each waypoint. When you reach the tank ditch you're probably going to have a problem. I think it's a shame if folks get turned off / frustrated and just say "the hell with it, I'll play something else". They're really missing a great tank sim.

I probably would have given up too, if I hadn't got some good advice from this forum.
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 06:41:51 PM »

Lol. who the hell plays the tutorials?! On the Job is the best way! Cheesy

wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »

See people try the tutorial..get stuck..then assume the rest of the game to be rubbish if they can't get the Tutorial to work properly..crying shame.

It's kind of funny aboout the driving turtorial. I mean, here's (IMO) probably the best WW2 tank sim on the market, and it's released with a turtorial that will most likely turn off most people before they get into the game. I admit I'm not a marketing expert (40yrs with C&P Tel Co., Bell Atlantic, Verizon, but none in Marketing), but why not make the initial turtorial EASY instead of frustrating (e.g. use a more powerfull tank)?

When I try a new game for the first time I'll more than likely do the turtorials in the listed order. Furthermore, I'm going to pretty much follow the on screen instructions to the letter. Well as many folks have discovered, if you follow the instructions "to the letter" in the Driving turtorial you'll head directly for each waypoint. When you reach the tank ditch you're probably going to have a problem. I think it's a shame if folks get turned off / frustrated and just say "the hell with it, I'll play something else". They're really missing a great tank sim.

I probably would have given up too, if I hadn't got some good advice from this forum.
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 12:28:06 AM »

I remember, it took me ~one month to take Matilda driving Smiley
Especially, up to the hill.
Now, all tanks are a piece of cake after Matilda (and T-26) driving)))

Provocative signature removed
fabianfred
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 01:10:51 AM »

If you are disappointed with this...then life will be a big problem.
This isn't a game but a simulation.....life isn't easy either....
Nothing worth having ever came easy....that applies to life too.....
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 04:12:38 AM »

Thanks for the input, guys. Better late than never!

Your sentiments are appreciated, but I think the original poster was just trolling.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:19:24 AM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »

Tutorial is terrible..just dive in the proper game is superb.
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 07:05:20 PM »

Tutorial is terrible..
But now, we've a training mission - how to drive a Tiger in the `mission pack 2.1` Wink

Provocative signature removed
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 08:29:33 AM »

Just to put things into perspective the learning curve in SF is not that steep. I never bothered to play the training missions and it took me very little time to master the various commands and become an impeccable Panzermann. Now for somebody who wants to know what a steep learning curve is I recommend Arma II for land warfare and Il2 for air sims....

No more posts from Demy 1042 I guess he went back to Battlefield 3 where you die in a tank only to spawn again 5 seconds later and start over  Grin....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: