Graviteam
April 29, 2024, 10:16:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Move over SFK42?  (Read 7407 times)
Panzerfaust
Generalmajor

« on: February 19, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »

Tell me what do you guys think of this one:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3520842/Possible_New_Tank_Sim.html#Post3520842

Always wondered why they included armor models in this flight sim. Personally I think it's a pretty tall order to compete head to head with SFK42 and the new upcoming WW2 tank sim from Graviteam. Especially with this flight sim being such a mixed bag when it comes to preformance issues and lack of or deactivated game features.
Cheers
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:54:59 PM »

I remember seeing vids of the Cliffs of Dover a few months ago.I wouldn't worry too much about it.The tank sim part of the game is going to be just a side-show to the aircraft sim part which IL-2 is really about.I like the countryside landscapes and feel of Cliffs of Dover though! Smiley

I think Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad( The Panzer IVF2 is amazing in that game) and Arma 2 WW2 mod  i44 are more serious rivals but the game format is very different; they are primarily fps and well done but tank-wise SF offers more variety and has a niche of its own.But I have to admit I feel envious of the large maps of games like Il-2, TvsT even Panzer Elite has bigger maps than SF.However I am sure the next WW2 sim by Graviteam will offer larger maps!
Panzerfaust
Generalmajor

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »

I agree frinik and while I'm not overly concerned but it did cause me to scratch my head when the OP (who has never posted anything that I know of in the armored section at SimHq before this) is trying to sway armored fans (but more importantly possible users new to the genre) over to a simulator that like you said would be in reality a sideshow for armor compared to SFK42. I have to apologize to everyone as my post title was ment to be very tongue in cheek  Cheesy
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 06:57:15 PM »

This just doesn't work because the scale and speed of action between aircraft and vehicles is just too disparate.

The appearance of an aircraft over a tank battle is a few-seconds-at-a-time affair, and the planes will be many miles away in just a few seconds more.

The only sim that's had any success with this is WWIIOL... but they also have a FPS module and dedicated flak guns to go with the vehicles, so those parts of the game keep each other company. But even then, the abstracted game devices they use to drive the ground modules... pretty bad, IMO. In fact, it invalidates the original concept which was to "simulate" the Battle of France in 1940. You can't really use or explore German blitzkrieg tactics because the supply/spawning model is built on the more traditional "contiguous front lines and traceable supply" concept.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:48:11 PM »

Hehe. I just finished making my Flying hajji killer too  8)

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=n7t3gpc37h35st2

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 02:15:26 AM »

Wow! Is this for SABoW?

Yeah! lwet's send them to their paradise until they run out of virgins and they get female camels instead... Grin
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 02:44:23 AM »

no Sad It's for Il-2 1946. I also got a German one up Smiley

Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 01:54:44 PM »

Nice video. From what i could see is that if they plan an air and ground sim they still have a long way to go. The vehicles doesn´t move on the ground like they should in reallife. It looks very basic. Guess it was a cheap hack to make them moveable.
So what´s behind the curtain? Do they want to check user reactions on this?
So far i know they still need a lot todo to make COD bugfree and playable. And is multiplayer fixed in the meantime?

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
Panzerfaust
Generalmajor

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 03:02:45 AM »

I think this armor aspect they are trying to develope/promote will probably come more into play with the upcoming sequel Il-2 Battle of Moscow rather then Il-2 CLoD from a historical standpoint. As for the MP it's a mixed bag too, some like it some don't, but apparently alot experiance CTD. Have heard it's some kind of memory leak which causes the game to crash after <60 minutes of playing in MP, but I don't do MP so I can't speak from first hand experiance. While being an armor sim fanatic I'm also combat flight sim fanatic and was really looking forward to Il-2 CLoD. But even on my rig (which isn't bleeding edge but isn't no sloutch either) even on low to medium settings I pretty much suffer mirco stutters also. And being I prefer SP and CLoD shipped with no real SP campaign to speak of it's hardly gets fired up anymore, it was great at first because it does look fantastic (even on medium/low settings) but after the gloss wears off it's pretty ho-hum. Anymore when I want a Battle of Britain experiance I fire up BoB II Wings of Victory, while it's no where as near as pretty as CLoD, the dynamic campaign and AI in BoB II WoV is top notch.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »

Iam not too worried about CLoD or any other game competing with SF because while for SF tanks and armour are really the core of the game for games like IL-2, RO2 or to use for me a more relevant example like Forgotten Hope 2.4 - or other WWII mods for based on fps - armour is just a side show and often either the ballistics or realism present in SF are not really well represented nor given more than a passing thought.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 01:37:14 PM »

I miss the Red Orchestra multiplayer days. It made lot of fun playing tank maps. Ok it wasn´t strategic and that realistic. Most times it was more fps on tracks,lol. But tanks were well modelled. The realistism (when playing tanks) wasn´t that good compared to SF42 but overall it was fun.

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: