Graviteam
April 29, 2024, 11:13:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Any chance of Steam in the future?  (Read 20990 times)
TacKLed
Oberleutnant

« on: June 29, 2012, 08:48:08 PM »

Do you guys at Graviteam ever plan on going to Steam because there are probably a boatload of people that would buy the game. Niche games usually do well there and the only reason know of these great games is word of mouth.
randall.flagg
Major

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 09:44:22 PM »

I hope not.  Many of us dont want to be beholden to Steam for access to our games. 
Graviteam, I hope your games remain DRM-free.
JMass
Oberleutnant

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:50:55 PM »

I hope not.  Many of us dont want to be beholden to Steam for access to our games. 
Graviteam, I hope your games remain DRM-free.

Well said!  Smiley
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »

Do you guys at Graviteam ever plan on going to Steam because there are probably a boatload of people that would buy the game. Niche games usually do well there and the only reason know of these great games is word of mouth.

Probably not. First, they did not really approve of a games in the wargames genre, and secondly, they have a complex patch system, it is not clear if the sense of a separate version for steam to do.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 11:17:39 PM »

The day that it becomes a Steam game exclusively is the day I forget about Achtung Panzer.

Simple as that.
randall.flagg
Major

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 11:21:46 PM »

The day that it becomes a Steam game exclusively is the day I forget about Achtung Panzer.

Simple as that.

Sadly, yes.
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:20:50 AM »

I was told by a Graviteam member that Steam turned them down, not sure if it was APOS or APK43. Steam don't like wargames.

Though Steam really doesn't bother me at all. Pros and Cons to all systems and to be honest Steam seems to have the least cons when it comes down to downloadable games, well steam and GG.

Not sure how many times I've seen wargamers moaning over on a certain forum because they couldn't redownload a game they had already bought. You have none of these problems with Steam. Every game I've got from them I still have access to and can install and uninstall to my hearts content.

Steam isn't the big bad wolf some people think it is. I've seen alot of people hate steam but end up buying something and then actually realising Steam isn't so bad and is very convenient. Plus their sales are superb.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:27:04 AM by wodin » Logged
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 03:32:41 AM »

I bemoan them out of experience. Sure you can install their games any time you want provided you always have an internet connection, they are still in business, and they don't lock you out of your own library for no apparent reason and then take 9 days before you can get it resolved. But to each their own I guess.
hamrock
Major

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 08:19:32 AM »

If Steam does not like wargames, what are Total war, Arma and call of Duty? Hang on I think that I have answered my own question.  Grin
JMass
Oberleutnant

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 09:54:12 AM »

If Steam does not like wargames, what are Total war, Arma and call of Duty? Hang on I think that I have answered my own question.  Grin

I do not want to start a flame war but it is hard to define "wargames" Total war, Arma and call of Duty... games about war, maybe...
Bayonet
Hauptmann

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »

I agree with Wodin that Steam is not the devil.  And when he said "their sales are superb", he was talking from a buyer's viewpoint.  I'm just waiting for the annual "Summer Sale", usually around School's out time. 
I purchased a Theatre of War series bundle from Steam (TOW, TOW2Africa,TOW2Kursk) for 80% off.
I would place TOW as #2 in the realism/seriousgame department, after APOS. 
What are your thoughts on the TOW series JMass?
I would like to see Graviteam Games on Steam.

JMass
Oberleutnant

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 11:28:44 AM »

What are your thoughts on the TOW series JMass?

I  tried it but it is a click fest, sorry, CM is a lot better (but I prefer oldest CMx1s over CMBN). I usually like to play pbems, APOS is the first RT that did not disappoint me.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 11:34:40 AM »

But, neither of these games is not a wargame genre.  Grin

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
TacKLed
Oberleutnant

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 12:00:56 PM »

I wouldn't say that Steam doesn't like war-games since theatre of war is on there and other RTSes like Men of War. ToW: Korea was low quality and tried things APOS got down pack. And if is also possible to use Steam but not have DRM. Gamersgate will always be there for people that like the non steam route. I just want these games to continually impove and Steam would increase the sales and exposure of the game. I just hope they consider it in their future titles. Plus I like seeing how much I've played; dunno why, just do.
Capt Sam
Major

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 12:08:39 PM »

Gamergate is bad enough!  Even though I have APOS downloaded, I still have to log onto Gamersgate and provide a code to install APOS!  Why??  I hope Graviteam continues a relationship with Matrix, since I think Matrix doesn't play that *log on to install* crap.  If I knew that Matrix was going to sell APOS, I would have waited and bought it from Matrix!

What happens in 15 years if I want to install APOS and maybe Gamersgate is out of business?  By the way, I STILL PLAY 15 year old games!  Some of these games are still being developed like Close combat and Steel Panthers, but some are not like Earth2160.

By the way, I consider Earth2160 just as valid a "wargame" as anything else.  I like E2160, but I still have to register on-line before playing and it has become quite strange now that almost nobody really cares about E2160 anymore.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »

I wouldn't say that Steam doesn't like war-games since theatre of war is on there and other RTSes like Men of War. ToW: Korea was low quality and tried things APOS got down pack.
If we will be a huge company like 1C with up to 5 projects, yes we will be released APOS on Steam with games pack despite genres.

And if is also possible to use Steam but not have DRM. Gamersgate will always be there for people that like the non steam route. I just want these games to continually impove and Steam would increase the sales and exposure of the game. I just hope they consider it in their future titles. Plus I like seeing how much I've played; dunno why, just do.
May be, but the main thing here is to profit from it at least covers the costs. In this sense, everything is clear on the GamersGate and not clear on the Steam.

Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »

I have a few Steam games and I would never select them by choice.

Until APOS I thought that Matrix was the best channel - not so sure now.

How about Battlefront?  Too much competition with the CM series, I guess?
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 01:47:12 PM »

Why not try releasing Achtung Panzer series on GOG.com instead of even considering Steam? GOG expanded their offer to new independent games recently, has very large and mostly mature community, re-downloadable games, customer-friendly staff that listens to community ideas and what's most important, it's completely DRM-free. All in all it's far, far more superior than Steam if you ask me. A perfect place for Achtung Panzer series to be sold at.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:49:38 PM by Lemonade » Logged
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 02:47:14 PM »

That would be nice if Battlefront was interested in this game.Their CM game doesn't do the East front justice like APOS,and they have quite a few modding experts in their forums.I would love to see someone take a crack at modding a 3kmx3km entirely urban terrain map for quick battles or mini campaigns.I wouldn't mind if the map was only ground level accessible,with maybe some  non-accessible 2 and 3 storey gutted buildings(ground level access only) thrown in to add some ambience.I think this game engine along with some enhanced detailed stone and wood building destruction grapics, would handle urban combat quite well.Including combat engineers,assault pioneers or specially equipped combat assault companies armed with sub machine guns, demo packs and flamethrowers with extra grenades and also smoke grenades .I find myself playing alot of quick battles where I over load the Germans with arty assets to fire all rounds at the beginning of the game in the large villages in the center of the map so my troops have ruins and shell craters to battle over.Makes for a very interesting gaming experience.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:56:16 PM by dane49 » Logged
TacKLed
Oberleutnant

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 03:37:30 PM »

Why not try releasing Achtung Panzer series on GOG.com instead of even considering Steam? GOG expanded their offer to new independent games recently, has very large and mostly mature community, re-downloadable games, customer-friendly staff that listens to community ideas and what's most important, it's completely DRM-free. All in all it's far, far more superior than Steam if you ask me. A perfect place for Achtung Panzer series to be sold at.

This
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: