Graviteam
April 29, 2024, 09:06:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello, and Operation Editor questions  (Read 16783 times)
jonny211
Oberleutnant

« on: July 03, 2012, 07:17:28 AM »

First of all hello from me!

I have a question about the operation editor for Op Star. I can create an operation without any errors when doing a final compile. I can then see and run this operation in the game.

The problem comes if I change anything in the operation and compile again, the operation dissapears from the list in the game. Deleting my profile and trying again doesn't make it appear again. If I delete the operation files from kt43/shared/etc etc and compile again with my changes again the operation is missing.

Is there any method of deleting operations manually, or overwriting them?

I don't want to reinstall!

Cheers.

Jon
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:45:36 AM »

1st hit save after changes.......then go thru all the commands leading up to compile.  If over right campaign.  If you want to save it......move it out of data camps folder.

Yabba dabba do
randall.flagg
Major

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:56:04 AM »

This was something Flash and I talked about.  I couldnt understand why when I added a unit to an operation I had already playtested I couldnt see it but if I sent him the files he could.  The answer is either change the operations name or delete and recreate a profile, or clear your user cache.  Apparently when you relaunch an operation it loads that cache.
\\APOS directory\users\profiles\alpha-numeric folder\   and delete the .opsave files of the operation your working on.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »

Oh thats the issue?  LOL.  create new profile or restart campaign by hitting the red x.  ya it will not load right after changes to mission from a saved game file. 

Yabba dabba do
jonny211
Oberleutnant

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:52:35 PM »

Many thanks, I'll give those steps a try.

Also has anyone created a campaign using the Volokonovka maps? I had to copy all of the 3o_oskol files into the main \polygons folder before I could use the map in the editor, I'm wondering if the District string in the mycampaign.ods file can point to where the Volokonovka DLC installs itself to?

Thanks again.

Jon
jonny211
Oberleutnant

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 04:57:54 AM »

Nope, creating a new profile doesn't work. Out of interest when the op editor runs a compile it should just copy the .campack file to shared/camps/User_Ops/ and that's all?
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 05:33:43 AM »

Nope, creating a new profile doesn't work. Out of interest when the op editor runs a compile it should just copy the .campack file to shared/camps/User_Ops/ and that's all?

Yes...........you can move other places as well in camps.  That is vary forgiving in APOS/SABOW.  Here I will post a screen shot of what SHOULD work assuming your div pool is correct.  Also with understanding what is going on exactly post screenies....I am a screen shot whore Tongue Tongue Oh and if I am understanding what the problem is. If it is what I think it is........you are going to have a DOH! moment Grin Grin

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 05:57:30 AM »

Lame but should get the point across........if this is the issue.......

Yabba dabba do
jonny211
Oberleutnant

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 07:52:16 AM »

Many thanks, I created a new operation and can compile that without any problems, delete the operation .campack file and it's removed from the list, copy the file back to the user ops folder and it appears again. I must've broken something else in the files I was editing so best thing is to start again.

Also how do you get the AI to attack? I can set the 'attack and hold' orders for the default groups EN1, EN2 etc but the AI doesn't move it's units towards any objectives.

Cheers.

Jon
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »

Many thanks, I created a new operation and can compile that without any problems, delete the operation .campack file and it's removed from the list, copy the file back to the user ops folder and it appears again. I must've broken something else in the files I was editing so best thing is to start again.

Also how do you get the AI to attack? I can set the 'attack and hold' orders for the default groups EN1, EN2 etc but the AI doesn't move it's units towards any objectives.

Cheers.

Jon

Did you set up any ai flag OBJ?   That ai order seems make ai only go after "the big crcles".  Attack in engages any unit around.  Set to nothing ai makes the call as to what it will do. 

Yabba dabba do
jonny211
Oberleutnant

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 09:06:32 PM »

Hi again,

It helped when I put the objectives close to nodes on the movement grid, and set the ai moves to attack for all turns. So I think I wasn't understanding how the orders are set and had the ai groups on the defensive.

Back on the first problem, I find that if I edit the xyz_div_pool.ods file after converting and placing units in the editor it screws the scenario totally, as a test if I change the division/company number in div_pool then compile the scenario is missing. If I undo my changes, delete the user scenario from shared/camps etc and run through the whole convert/edit/compile process again the scenario is still missing. I am guessing that I have to set the unit list in stone before I compile.

Cheers!

Jon
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 10:13:55 PM »

Hi again,

It helped when I put the objectives close to nodes on the movement grid, and set the ai moves to attack for all turns. So I think I wasn't understanding how the orders are set and had the ai groups on the defensive.

Back on the first problem, I find that if I edit the xyz_div_pool.ods file after converting and placing units in the editor it screws the scenario totally, as a test if I change the division/company number in div_pool then compile the scenario is missing. If I undo my changes, delete the user scenario from shared/camps etc and run through the whole convert/edit/compile process again the scenario is still missing. I am guessing that I have to set the unit list in stone before I compile.

Cheers!

Yes....but you can compile the mission as many times as you need/want.  At anytime you can add or move units and squads so long as you go thru all the steps before you hit compile.  You can edit it after but is more work and ALOT more problems.  I have no idea what an .ods file is? 

Ya there are 2 levels of ai flags.  The big ones on overlay map which tell the ai what is important in over all mission and the little flags that tell ai what landscape is important in battles.  The ladder does not have to be set as it uses a few random flags that are generated.  But if you are trying to get a fight to happen on a given landscape then you would then want to set up the little ai flags. 

Jon

Yabba dabba do
jonny211
Oberleutnant

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »

I've been editing the <scenario name>_div_pool.ods file to try and add my own units rather than those the scenario editor genrates for you for the Taranovka map. I think this is where my last problem lies, if anyone else has successfully mangaed to create their own div_pool would they be able to look at mine? Even with a stripped down version with only one platoon on each side I still get the problem of being able to compile the scenario without any errors but it still doesn't show up in the game.

Cheers again.

Jon
randall.flagg
Major

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »

Take a look at these Jonny, they are the old format, just text files, but they might give you an idea about what you may be doing wrong.  Theyre all the same mission, just different versions.  They should contain both the compiled campaign and the raw files.
http://kidobutai.serveftp.net/APOS/
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 02:23:21 PM »

Not quite tracking what you are attempting to do.  

1.  Grab div pool file for your own campaign
2.  Modify existing campaign and changing squads and units around.  This is what I think your saying.  Unless something has changed from 5.77 to 5.80 you should not be able to modify campaign using the editor.  Also not a clue what an ods file is.  You CAN modify a default camapign in so far as changing units and squads around but you do not even touch the editor to do it.   Posted a how too on this forum awhile back on how to do that.  But you can aways post up what you got so far as config files go.   Grin  More than willing to help.  

DID something change in 5.80 editor as far a file types?

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »

Ok it did slightly change........  I messed with the beta 5.80 patch editor which was pretty much the same as 5.77.  Ok so it looks like it now uses libra (or whatever its called) office software suite (its shareware).  Actually if Iam not mistaken this should allow easy localization of missions for multi language support.   Grin  My Sabow campaigns this was a huge amount of work.  I could fake German by using English (same alphabet) but Russian i coul not even compile and had to find people with Russian versions.  I am totally going to have to find time and check out the changes.  This could make things alot easier in making stuff.  Highly unlikly the basics have changed but more clear in organization of data. 

When i get this saladin armored car done for sabow will mess with this.   Grin

Ok got curious.  Everything after compile looks exactly the same.  That open source office stuff is just for ease on the front end.  Everything else in configs is pretty much the same.  SO to modify an existing campaign..........

copy paste campaign out of camp folder.....
use unflat on campaign
use cfg2pd on divpool and desc files.
make changes........must match exactly in both files.
run pd2cfg on divpool and desc files.
run mkflat on unpacked campaign  and rename extension to .campack2
but in camp folder or make an addpack file and run the thing. 

NOTE you never touch the editor to do this.  OPening a defualt campaign successfully in editor has not happened to the best of my knowledge.  While possible I beleave way way to much messing in config files to make the bloody thing work.  Much faster to make a totally new campaign reusing divpool file. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:21:22 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
jonny211
Oberleutnant

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 06:21:07 PM »

Ah sorry, I should've said that I'm editing in V5.80 and creating an operation from scratch rather than editing.

The steps I've taken are the ones in the operation editor manual, sorry to cut and paste:-

1) make an operation project, set operation settings in config file 'src\<project
name>.ods' using Calc application from LibreOffice software;
2) create description for platoons and reserves in config file 'src\<project
name>_div_pool.ods';
3) write text-description for operation and do all necessary localizations in
'src\< project name>_text.ods';
4) add picture '<project name>_op_image.tga' that will be placed next to
operation name in the game list of operations. The picture must be 160x100
pixels, TGA 32 bit.
5) convert all files into binary data using Operation Editor;
6) draw briefings in 'briefs\op_brief.odg' using LibreOffice Draw;
7) convert briefing graphic by pressing [Ctrl+G] in the editor;
8) write briefing script '<project name>_scripts.engcfg' (text file in ANSI code),
specifying scale, adding graphic description from steps 6-7. Convert the
script by pressing [Ctrl+H];
9) using Operation Editor place platoons, set controlled territory, weather
conditions, key points, terrain settings, define tasks and objects for AI;
10) when all settings are set, compile the operation project and, if no
errors will be detected, new operation will be automatically added to the list
of available operations in the game menu.

All appears to be okay in the editor at step 9, I can see the units I defined in div_pool and the operation compiles without any errors... but then the operation isn't shown in the campaigns list. I'll try and host the files somewhere if I can.

Using the V5.80 Operation Editor I can create a template operation that I can run through the steps above and see in the game... it's very perplexing! In some ways I wish it were in text files rather than open office.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 06:22:39 PM by jonny211 » Logged
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 06:32:17 PM »

so it compiles with no errors?  If so I would find where it was placed after exporting the thing and try moving it to other places.  Also check our OUT folder and see what it says under editor file. 

Just took a look at this new div pool system in the libre (or whatever) while I understand what is going on with the other files........the div pool is a bit confussing.  Possible issue you may or may not have happen is wrong unit code OR the BIG one.........uniqiue Id set wrong.  Another possible as to any missing units could simply not having set up the text file with the units name.  In other words it would not display or display as ??.  If you could post screens that could help greatly. 

Actually all this is the same stuff as before but with a cell sheet to help out with setting things up.  From experience the unique code is a large potentional error.  It is suppose to be a hex number but if you attempt to use a convertions table from "normal human" to text  Tongue it gives you totally wrong values for APOS/SABOW.  I guess I still just don't get that bit. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:10:03 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
magjendad
Oberleutnant

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 07:51:10 PM »

Ah sorry, I should've said that I'm editing in V5.80 and creating an operation from scratch rather than editing.

The steps I've taken are the ones in the operation editor manual, sorry to cut and paste:-

1) make an operation project, set operation settings in config file 'src\<project
name>.ods' using Calc application from LibreOffice software;
2) create description for platoons and reserves in config file 'src\<project
name>_div_pool.ods';
3) write text-description for operation and do all necessary localizations in
'src\< project name>_text.ods';
4) add picture '<project name>_op_image.tga' that will be placed next to
operation name in the game list of operations. The picture must be 160x100
pixels, TGA 32 bit.
5) convert all files into binary data using Operation Editor;
6) draw briefings in 'briefs\op_brief.odg' using LibreOffice Draw;
7) convert briefing graphic by pressing [Ctrl+G] in the editor;
8) write briefing script '<project name>_scripts.engcfg' (text file in ANSI code),
specifying scale, adding graphic description from steps 6-7. Convert the
script by pressing [Ctrl+H];
9) using Operation Editor place platoons, set controlled territory, weather
conditions, key points, terrain settings, define tasks and objects for AI;
10) when all settings are set, compile the operation project and, if no
errors will be detected, new operation will be automatically added to the list
of available operations in the game menu.

All appears to be okay in the editor at step 9, I can see the units I defined in div_pool and the operation compiles without any errors... but then the operation isn't shown in the campaigns list. I'll try and host the files somewhere if I can.

Using the V5.80 Operation Editor I can create a template operation that I can run through the steps above and see in the game... it's very perplexing! In some ways I wish it were in text files rather than open office.

This same issue plagued me with both 577 and 580. Interestingly enough, before I un- and re-insatlled for 580, my APOS folder was 16 GBs! And that's with no add ons. I'm wondering if all of my attempts to compile new ops where going in there somewhere, but I could not see them (i.e., they were hidden because of some system setting or something...) Huh??
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:52:42 PM by magjendad » Logged
jonny211
Oberleutnant

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 10:36:23 AM »

I have a working scenario now!!

I made a set of .ods files using steps 1-3

Using the operation editor I then create a new operation in my desired folder, BUT when you hit yes to 'Create new project of operation' and enter the op name where it asks 'Convert Operation' HIT NO.

Then copy my known good .ods files over those that the application created in the SRC folder.

Edit xyz_scripts.engcfg file for correct displacements.

Then go back to v5.80 launcher> Operation Editor> cancel as there is no campproj2 file yet, no at 'Create new project of operation' as the src folder files have been copied over, navigate to SRC folder and select your .ods file and then files are converted.

Then open camproj2 file in the editor and place units, markers etc.

I now have tanks running around Volokonovka and can stop beating my head against the keyboard.

Uuuuuuuuraaaahh.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: